Your opinion on trim levels and options

Feb 7, 2020
Hello all, I'm in the market for a new car. Having posted on a Leon specific section, I've now narrowed my search to the Ateca Xcellence trim; FR trim seems to be quite steep for the looks only, so I'll pass.

So now a question for the owners in terms of options. If you had a chance to pick again, what added options would you have picked now and why?

The car I was looking at has most of the toys apart from Park Assist (no front parking sensors nor cameras), no wireless charging (I think this is a cool perk), no automatic boot release underneath the rear bumper (I don't know what it is called), no ACC. Other than those options that I think would be necessary for me, the car has everything else.

Can you tell me your opinion in terms of front parking sensors. How necessary are those on am Ateca?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I think it's like a lot of the extra tech these days. We survived for years without a lot of it, but I think we all now would probably miss (most of) it if we didn't have it. Everyone has different priorities of 'must haves'; for me personally I would find it unsatisfactory to have a car not fitted with front and rear sensors, heated seats and an auto/DSG.

Tell

Staff member
TSR for me so I get the warbles if I exceed the road speed and Satnav obviously. Not forgetting 360' cameras full ultrasound front and back. I look for the button in the partners car to get the cameras on. I'd never go back from that. Suspect with today's specs that might be a Cupra or special.

Feb 7, 2020
Thanks all. Some of the Xcellence trim levels come with park assist pack which consists of 360 cameras as well as front and rear sensors. I've made my mind up to bot go ahead with the Ateca as from what I've heard, the boot space just isn't big enough for a family of 2 under 4 year olds.

Tell

Staff member
Boot space is pretty big in height which gives the volume over the floor dimensions. Always the Tarraco. You won't get those very big dimensioned holiday suitcases you take on a months holiday in an Ateca but you will in a Tarraco (next group up in SUV size). Tarraco seats also move. The Karoq you can get variable rear seats, with kids you can nick their legroom and put that into the boot. Karoq is an Ateca but with a different ride. Horses for courses. You might find the Ateca is fine... turn up to the showroom with your bags :). Without checking suspect the floor dimensions in the Ateca are Leon sized but then you got the extra upright height which the Leon doesn't have in the boot. I came from an Altea which did have a bigger boot and then I lost the underfloor space to the 4Drive and spare wheel. Had to purge what I was carting around - probably too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: A-Rod

Mihai A.

Apr 24, 2020
antoce.me
Whatever you get, it must have the 360 camera, ACC, lane assist, and city breaking. They are lifesavers. Seat cars are only nice because you get all the technology for a fraction of what you'd pay with VW or Audi. The build quality isn't the greatest. I constantly find myself having to re-glue or pop plastics back into place. On the excellence lux edition. The Ateca's space again isn't the greatest, for a family with 2 kids.

If you give up on the technology, what's left for you? Get all the gadgets you can get. I got a used 68 Plate 4000miles on the clock 1.5 TSI Excellence Lux with everything on it for about 21k, 1 year ago. I'm sure you can find a better deal now, just get all the extras you can. If you don't like them, dont use them, but you can never add them afterwards.

Last edited:

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
ACC , 360 parking sensors, city break, back camera, leather seats and android auto are important for me.

Electric tailgate is a plus but not necessary. Same goes to panoramic/electric rooftop.

Tell

Staff member
The electric tailgate with the virtual peddle means you dont have to strain up if you are of that age and it cuts down the journeys back into the house with shopping. Two hands full, foot under and back in. Do that with the cat so he doesnt get trapped, shopping in one hand, cat in the other, foot underneath. He did trigger it once by running under the back, whilst I was standing behind. Jumped back. I wouldn't turn the sound off on them via Obdeleven... added safety to know it's closing.

Panoramic roof is good if you are waiting up somewhere. Get some fresh air. Suppose to entertain kids in the back when driving along. It's a grand children thing. Keep the blind across on mine except for the summer fresh air thing when ones parked up.

Reactions: hamst
May 25, 2020
Romania
Hello,

I'm currently thinking of buying a Seat Ateca, having to choose between two pretty similar cars (both 2.0TSI DSG 4motion):
  1. 02/20 FR with DCC, heated windscreen and Beats, 10.6k km (~6.6k miles)
  2. 08/20 Xcellence with Virtual Cockpit, 5km (~3 miles)

Which one would you take (or if you had to choose only one option, would it be the DCC or VC)?

I currently have a Mazda CX-5 and don't mind the ride too much (as I was looking also at hot-hatches I'm more interested in handling than comfort, let's say 60 versus 40%).

Thanks!

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My dad has just had a NEW Ateca delivered in the XPERIENCE trim.

It replaced his 2018 Ateca in the Xcellence trim.

He is quite disappointed that it no longer has a CD player nor does it have SD card slots for his music.
they have also moved the virtual cockpit up to just the XPERIENCE lux trim level.

on the plus side - he much prefers the 1.5TSi DSG to his 2018 1.5TSi manual.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
You should be able to get the music onto a usb stick type C (reversible dual A and C are available) or an adapter you can buy. Haven't tried it mind you since I have mib2. Presume the OTG thing is fine. Try it.

The maps are stored on solid state now so no SD slot is required. Pensioned off the CD slot. Online services should be available for map updates at a cost. Sending destinations to the head and POIs but without the beep (suspect) - apps for that. Plus online music. Charging structure beyond a year. eSim in the unit.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
You should be able to get the music onto a usb stick type C (reversible dual A and C are available) or an adapter you can buy. Haven't tried it mind you since I have mib2. Presume the OTG thing is fine. Try it.

The maps are stored on solid state now so no SD slot is required. Pensioned off the CD slot. Online services should be available for map updates at a cost. Sending destinations to the head and POIs but without the beep (suspect) - apps for that. Plus online music. Charging structure beyond a year. eSim in the unit.

Yeh - I know there are work arounds for most of it.
I think it was just he thought and was lead to believe that the new XPERIENCE trim level was a match to his old Xcellence trim level.
Not the case.

hertssjc

Jun 18, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
I have just purchased a 68 plate Excellence 1.4 tsi DSG from a main dealer. Heated seats were a must for me (bad back!), so I think that i was pretty lucky as the vehicle i purchased on ly had 10k miles and had everything on it aprt from Auto Boot and Pan Roof. Agree with other comments on here that all the new safety kit is a must.
I believe that from 2019 they introduced the Excellence Lux so some of the goodies were dropped from the Excellence and optional extras were no longer available, as in whatever trim level you chose that was it.

Good luck with the search!

bloodnok

Jun 22, 2021
I bought a 69 plate 1.5 Excellence and as you say I don't have heated leather seats, but that suits me fine. Mine are a sort of alcantara or faux suede.
I think the reverse camera and heated front screens are standard from 2019 onwards, as is the newer infotainment system.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.