ZBOYD's Mk3 Leon SC FR 1.8TSI DSG

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Great looking car mate. Thanks for posting the pics, makes me want my car even more now!! ;p

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
Very smooth changes, runs really well but still getting to grips with how it performs.

There has been the odd occasion where its been a little hesitant. Albeit this is in Normal D mode not Sport.

Example, yesterday I was slowing at the approach for a junction to turn left, and looked to the right see if I was clear as I approached, nothing coming clear road, so i didn't fully come to a stop and just went for the left turn.

As I'd slowed the box obviously started to make its down changes, but then i got back on the gas it had a little pause where it was trying to decide what the hell i wanted it to do.

We are only talking a split second, but when you've put the action into motion your thinking crikey could of drove a bus through that pause. :D

Overall it sounds like it's a very good box :D

Never owned a car with DSG always manual, but I'm thinking of getting it on my next car.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Overall it sounds like it's a very good box :D

Never owned a car with DSG always manual, but I'm thinking of getting it on my next car.

I've had a few occasions already when I've thought I wouldn't of changed with a manual there, but so far just getting used to it. Playing with sport mode etc which is bit more manual like, allowing me to be more selective.

But for me it was a choice for comfort, I've nothing against manuals and on a fast bit of road I'd probably prefer it, but the daily commute and ruined joints made DSG a necessity.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Drove out the car park tonight, tap tap tap tap. :wtf:

Stopped couldn't see anything in the wheels or tyres, nothing hanging down. :confused: :shrug:

So carried on. tap tap tap tap tap. :help:

Anyway must of been a stone from our shitty car park, got wedged in the tyre.

As it immediately stopped tapping when something flicked off it, and bounced off the bottom of the car. No punctures or anything, seems fine now.

But when its 4 days old, give us a break. :ban: :censored:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
It wasn't the person you'd run over tapping on the window to get you to stop was it???

New tyres do pick up stones in the tread far too easily though.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It wasn't the person you'd run over tapping on the window to get you to stop was it???

New tyres do pick up stones in the tread far too easily though.

:D

The tread pattern on the Vredsteins I had on the Cupra were quite open, so I don't think there was anywhere for them to stick into. But these Contact Sport's on the FR are quite tightly grooved.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Looks really nice that Z. I really like the mk3 Leon.

Cheers Rich, its not as ballistic as the Cupra, bit of a horsepower disadvantage as you'd expect.

But to be honest I am enjoying driving this a lot more. No doubt it helps with being a DSG having been struggling with my feet for so long.

But its far more chuckable than the Mk2 was, its a great chassis it feels much nimbler like a small hot hatchback should, definitely a lot lighter which isn't going to hurt its power delivery. Despite it being around 180hp it gets off alright and doesn't hang about.

Last edited:

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Cheers Rich, its not as ballistic as the Cupra, bit of a horsepower disadvantage as you'd expect.

But to be honest I am enjoying driving this a lot more. No doubt it helps with being a DSG having been struggling with my feet for so long.

But its far more chuckable than the Mk2 was, its a great chassis it feels much nimbler like a small hot hatchback should, definitely a lot lighter which isn't going to hurt its power delivery. Despite it being around 180hp it gets off alright and doesn't hang about.

It's good to see they have made progress.

I always felt the mk2 handled better than my mk1. To hear they have worked their magic again is good.

Hmmm. Mk3 LCR maybe.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's good to see they have made progress.

I always felt the mk2 handled better than my mk1. To hear they have worked their magic again is good.

Hmmm. Mk3 LCR maybe.

Mk3 LCR is what I'm aiming for this time, run this for a few years, and put the extra money its saving me into something lairy. Hopefully they won't leave the DSG out on the R. The fact its coming to the Cupra makes me hopeful.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Lovely car Z and great to read your write ups too. I'll probably go from mk1 leon to mk3 Leon so watching with intrest. The thing is as well i think when we all bought our mk1 LCR's we were of a similar age, mindset and financial standing and so we have matured together and so yesterdays mk1LCR driver may well be looking at a more refined motor which the mk3 brings. Driving a nice car is so much more than just acceleration.... although it helps.:)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Very small update.

First bit of bling. Had to be done. :D

From this to...
2013-12-11-20.48.jpg

This :funk:
2013-12-11-21.16.52.jpg

PeteB99

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks for the photos

Just ordered a White Leon FR with Titanium Pack (Although I needed 5 doors) :)

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
can i ask what the extra boot mat like? is it scratchy plastic on top or a rubbery antislip kind of plastic?