- Unique design, premium look-and-feel
- Dynamic, precision driving fun in every situation
- Excellent use of space, versatile utility and relaxed comfort
- Widerange of efficient, powerful engines up to 190 PS
- Innovative high-tech package of assistance systems, first-class connectivity
- Ateca to be keenly priced from £17,990 in the UK. Full range pricing and specification to be released on 1 May 2016
Today, SEAT held the world premiere of its eagerly-awaited first SUV, Ateca, at the Geneva Motor Show. The new Ateca is a unique combination of distinctive design, dynamic driving fun, urban versatility and compelling utility. First-class connectivity, innovative assistance systems and highly efficient engines are among its technology highlights and make it one of the most innovative SUVs in the segment. Outstanding quality, precision production and very attractive value-for-money ensure it is a true SEAT. Throughout its development, surefooted handling has been at the forefront, to deliver a car which is agile and precise, so that every day and every mile in Ateca is that little bit more rewarding.
“The SEAT Ateca is perfect for an urban lifestyle. It possesses stunning design and dynamics, and boasts compelling quality and utility. But above all, the Ateca exudes unmistakable character,” says Luca de Meo, President of SEAT, S.A. “Our first SUV marks the start of a new era for SEAT. The Ateca is a clear development of the Leon DNA and will drive forward the success of the range. SEAT is a brand on the move.”
When pre-order books open for SEAT Ateca this spring, a wide range of versions will be available. The choice of powerful turbocharged TSI petrol and TDI diesel engines spans from 115 PS to 190 PS, with either front-wheel or all-wheel drive (latter with diesel engines only in the UK), not to mention manual or dual-clutch DSG transmissions (again, latter with diesel engines only in the UK).
The extensive array of technology options extends from full-LED headlamps through a broad portfolio of assistance systems, including some of the latest new systems such as Traffic Jam Assist and Emergency Assist, to a package of state-of-the-art infotainment systems with eight-inch touchscreens and Full Link connectivity. Three equipment lines offer colours and top-quality materials to suit every taste, with the top-of-the-range being the XCELLENCE.
“We have put together an amazing package of technologies and innovations for the Ateca – delivering more safety and utility but, above all, the most dynamic driving experience possible. We will set a whole new standard within the segment with its light-footed, precision handling,” says Dr. Matthias Rabe, Vice President of SEAT, S.A. responsible for Research and Development. “The Ateca is incredibly fun to drive. And we have combined this driving experience with compelling utility, making it an enormously versatile companion for an active urban life.”
In keeping with SEAT tradition, the Ateca derives its name from Spanish geography, this time taking inspiration from the village of the same name which lies in the west of Zaragoza, right in the heart of the brand’s homeland.
Design – 100 per cent SEAT and yet 100 per cent SUV
The Ateca’s design is utterly unmistakable. As an SUV, too, the typical SEAT design language is a striking combination of dynamism and functionality. Many elements, like the trapezoidal grille, the side blisters with their sharp creases, plus the triangular light signatures, are typical of brand icons, such as the Leon. Yet every single detail has been carefully developed to the next level for the Ateca.
“The Ateca shows the clear evolution of our characteristic design language. It’s immediately recognisable as a SEAT, yet every element has been carefully redesigned for an SUV,” says Alejandro Mesonero-Romanos, Head of SEAT Design. “Our design is sculptural and full of tension. And it’s created with precision and quality in every detail, of the kind possible only with the enormous passion and expertise of all involved.”
The large, high grille brims with confidence, while the sharply defined lights and substantial air intakes leave no doubt as to the Ateca’s dynamic credentials. At the same time, the SEAT SUV maintains a broad, muscular stance that exudes solidity and reliability.
Full-LED headlamps with a clear signature
Typical SEAT features include the optional full-LED headlamps with their desirable glow and excellent luminance. Combined with the triangular signature of the daytime running lights, the overall impact is utterly unmistakable. In the Ateca, the indicator lamps are also an integral part of this signature.
State-of-the-art technology and an emotional experience go hand-in-hand in the SEAT Ateca. One example is the “welcome” experience. As soon as you unlock the doors, LEDs in the door mirrors illuminate the area close to the doors, like puddle lighting, projecting the Ateca name onto the ground.
The side profile clearly conveys the dynamics and performance of the new SEAT. The precise lines with sharp creases interact with flowing forms, such as those around the lower door section, demonstrating not only the designers’ fine feel for form, but also the expertise of SEAT’s toolmakers and production specialists. Slightly rectangular wheel arches framed in black provide an imposing setting for wheels measuring up to 19 inches in diameter. Meanwhile, the window line framed in chrome and with a kink along the rear edge of the side window gives the car an even longer and more elegant line. The door mirrors sit on the door shoulders – a detail usually seen only on sports cars.
Likewise, typical of SEAT is the highly sculptural rear end with the licence plate recess set low down. The LED lights are pulled slightly upwards on the outer edges to emphasize the Ateca’s powerful shoulders. The very low loading lip at the rear indicates the full attention paid to optimum functionality.
Interior conveys refined sporting character
The interior harmonises perfectly with the exterior design. The interior, too, combines a refined, yet dynamic character with that unique feeling of solidity and safety so highly prized by SUV drivers. Key factors are the raised seating position, as well as the clearly visible bonnet and solid door strips.
The cockpit has been designed wholly around the driver. The controls are grouped closely together, while the read outs, such as the infotainment display measuring up to 8 inches, are just a brief glance away. The high centre console is a further example of how well the Ateca combines the SUV sense of proximity and solidity with the sporty feeling of a shortened gearstick. Light is another special feature of the interior. The new ambient lighting with “waterfall” look in the doors gives passengers a choice of eight different colours to adapt according to their mood and personal preferences.
Excellent use of space with plenty of room
At 4.36 metres in length, the Ateca offers the best use of space in the segment, with maximum interior length and a luggage compartment that holds 510 litres in its standard configuration or 485 litres in the versions with all-wheel drive. A double load floor is great for keeping things organised, while the folding rear seats can be operated from the luggage compartment providing an easy and versatile use of the interior space. The bodyshell is outstanding not only for its wide-ranging versatility, but also for its intelligent lightweight design. Incredibly stiff, the Ateca is also among the lightest vehicles in its segment, which secures an agile driving experience not only for urban traffic conditions.
Technology – innovative highlights in the Ateca
Once the driver has stepped inside, a ring of light around the illuminated start button pulsates like a heartbeat – indicating the Ateca is all set for its next road-going adventure. SEAT Drive Profile is on-hand for adapting the Ateca to the current driving situation, road conditions and personal preference – with the Driving Experience Button on the centre console offering four profiles: Normal, Sport, Eco and Individual. The Ateca models with four-wheel-drive have the added benefit of Snow and Offroad profiles, as well as Hill Descent Control function. A further convenient feature is the electric tailgate, which can be opened with a foot gesture and closed again the same way.
The range of innovative driver assistance systems is extensive:
- Traffic Jam Assist: This assistance function makes progress in heavy stop-and-go traffic far more bearable. At “traffic jam speeds”, Ateca steers, accelerates and brakes automatically within the system boundaries. At higher speeds of up to around 37 mph, the system provides support with speed control and lane keeping. However, the driver’s hands have to stay on the wheel.
- ACC with Front Assist: The traffic jam assistant is based on the radar-controlled ACC adaptive cruise control system. Within a certain speed range, the integrated Front Assist can provide autonomous braking in dangerous situations.
- Traffic Sign Recognition: Never miss another speed limit or traffic restriction thanks to the on-board camera and display.
- Blind Spot Detection: Changing lane is made safer with the practical blind spot assistant. Two radar sensors monitor traffic behind the Ateca on both sides. A visual signal in the exterior mirror warns against vehicles approaching in the blind spot.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert: Backing out of a parking space is a critical manoeuvre, as approaching vehicles are often difficult to spot. Radar sensors monitor cross traffic and warn against potential collisions.
- Top View: Four cameras cover the entire area around the Ateca, with the image displayed on the monitor as a bird’s eye view, making tight parking spaces far easier to negotiate. There is also additional protection for the valuable alloy wheels – one of the four image modes shows one front or all four wheels with lines indicating their proximity to the kerb.
- Park Assist 3.0: The latest version of the parking assistant ensures stress-free parking in every situation – now supporting both parallel and perpendicular parking. The system also uses small parking spaces, calculates the best path, steers itself and warns against obstacles.
- Lane Assist and Emergency Assist: The lane-keeping assistant recognises lane markings and issues warnings when the vehicle leaves the correct lane. Emergency Assist is a new function: If the driver remains inactive beyond a certain period, the vehicle issues first a visual then an acoustic warning, followed finally by a brief pulse of the brakes. If there is still no reaction, the Ateca slows down to a standstill, while staying in lane and activating the hazard lights and the electronic parking brake.
The highest level of connectivity
Connectivity, the constant connection with the digital world, is a major part of a modern, urban lifestyle for many people. The SEAT Ateca offers the very highest level in this domain, with the latest generation of Easy Connect infotainment systems, SEAT Full Link and the exclusive SEAT ConnectApp:
- Media System Plus, with its eight-inch screen, is the highlight of the new-generation infotainment systems. It provides a significantly clearer and more precise view of navigation and infotainment content.
- The Connectivity Box in the centre console of the SEAT Ateca is easy to reach and for the first time enables wireless smartphone charging and, thanks to automatic coupling with the roof antenna, ensures better reception. It incorporates two USB ports for parallel connection of MirrorLink-capable smartphones and external music players.
- SEAT Full Link is the connectivity world for users of virtually all smartphones. Alongside MirrorLink, Full Link also incorporates the functions of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- MirrorLink is the perfect technology for operating smartphones and many of their functions and apps safely via the Ateca’s infotainment system. It “mirrors” the smartphone screen on the touchscreen and can be used seamlessly with a growing number of MirrorLink-compatible Android smartphones.
- The exclusive SEAT ConnectApp makes perfect use of MirrorLink integration. The driver is “always on”, yet remains fully concentrated on the traffic. One central function is “Voice Replay”. This text-reading function converts messages from sources such as e-mail, text messages, Facebook and Twitter accounts into speech then reads them out loudly and clearly. Answers can be “dictated” by voice command. Another exclusive function is gesture control, whereby functions can be activated at will with just a small finger gesture on the touchscreen.
Dynamics – Unique driving fun
Extraordinary driving fun in every situation is at the core of the SEAT brand. The Leon in particular is a unique combination of precision and agility with comfort and safety, as confirmed by enthusiastic customer reactions and numerous comparison tests carried out by trade journalists across Europe. The Ateca is just as impressive when it comes to fulfilling this promising combination. With its compact character, powerful engines and perfectly tuned suspension, it offers performance and handling that sets a new benchmark among its SUV competitors. And it fits perfectly for an urban and versatile lifestyle.
The Ateca’s dynamic drive comes courtesy of a range of state-of-the-art power units – all of them turbocharged. Ranging from 115 PS to 190 PS with outstanding torque figures across the board, they meet every possible performance need. In the UK, three diesel engines are available, with the 1.6 TDI 115 PS, followed by the 2.0 TDI in a choice of two states of tune, 150 and 190 PS. Consumption figures range from 56 to 66 mpg, with CO2figures from 112 to 131 grams / km. Two petrol engines will be offered, with the entry level petrol engine being the 1.0 TSI 115 PS. The second, the 1.4 TSI comes with cylinder deactivation under partial load and produces 150 PS. The consumption and emissions figures for these engines are between 52 and 54 mpg and between 121 to 125 grams. Both petrol engines in the UK come mated to six-speed manual transmission. In the UK, all-wheel-drive will be available on both 2.0 TDI engines, while the range-topping 190 PS engine comes as standard with DSG, as well as four-wheel-drive.
SEAT Ateca TSI engines – UK:
|1.0 TSI||1.4 TSI|
|Nm @ rpm||200
|Top speed mph||114||125|
SEAT Ateca TDI engines – UK:
|1.6 TDI||2.0 TDI||2.0 TDI
|Nm @ rpm||250
|Top speed mph||114||125||125||122||132|
All-wheel drive for all eventualities
The Ateca’s all-wheel drive is among the most modern and efficient systems of its kind in the world. SEAT uses a newly developed multi-plate coupling with hydraulic actuation and electronic control – a fifth-generation Haldex coupling. It reacts extremely quickly to all imaginable drive situations to deliver a clear benefit in active safety and handling.
Equipment – XCELLENCE at the top of the Ateca range
The SEAT Ateca will be offered initially in three trim levels in the UK, with full pricing and specification confirmed on 1st May. The entry-level S offers not only an attractive price, but all the features needed in everyday life, such as air conditioning and Media System touch with a five-inch screen, as well as safety systems like seven airbags, drowsiness detection, tyre pressure monitoring and Front Assist. The SE comes with extras such as 17-inch alloy wheels, LED rear lights, dual zone climate control, leather steering wheel and rear parking sensors.
The new highlight is the XCELLENCE top-of-the-range version. This variant of the Ateca has a particularly distinctive and comfortable look-and-feel with leather upholstery (UK), extensive trim elements and multi-colour ambient lighting. On the outside, the Ateca XCELLENCE literally gleams with roof rails and window frames in chrome, a high-gloss black grille, dark tinted windows and 18-inch alloy wheels. The standard technology package in the XCELLENCE includes full-LED headlamps with welcome light, SEAT Drive Profile, reversing camera, rear parking sensors, rain and light sensors and KESSY (keyless entry and stop and start system). All these intelligent technologies make Ateca the perfect urban challenge companion.
In the UK, the New Ateca will be priced keenly from £17,990. Full pricing and specification on the range at launch will be released on 1 May 2016. The latest information on SEAT’s first SUV is available at http://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/new-ateca/overview.html.