possible best mod eveeeer

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
right, finally got my 550F gas struts, they seem okay. I guess they will loosen up a little as they start getting used more?

Will fit the scirocco bumpers tomorrow and hopefully all will be alright!

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Iv took mine off. : ( two handed close is a bummer where i can close normal struts with one finger. Bye bye struts.

You started everyone off on this.
It's not a perfect modification and the increased resistance on closing can be awkward but I think it's better with than without.

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
I was so close to doing this mod but after keeping an eye out and seeing the cons of this mod I think i will stay without it and put the £40-£50 on a different mod further down the line.

Seeing videos of it showed it was a cool mod but im swayed now to just let it be

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Iv been thinkink why the golf has to use longer ball pins. Maybe to keep the fabia struts at slightly extended initial stroke if you know what i mean.for the stroke to get to its full potential lower down the extension. If you can imagine it closed, the longer pins would definetly keep the strut from closing, thus shortning the bumper "pop" to strut "auto open" takeover. Keeping this gap close as possible is key in this mod.

Also what the load jump up difference is from origonal golf ones, to auto pop fabia ones. In newtons.

Im sorry for bailing. But i do not have the resources to keep persuing this one, im not even sure if i can get a refund on octavia struts! Good luck as i said before "possible best mod eveeeeer!!"

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I agree. There are a lot of differences between the Golf and Leon, different struts being used, the Leon may have a heavier tailgate, the Golf has a more upright tailgate so the angle at which it opens may affect it. None of us have the resources to test a dozen different set-ups. It may just be a case of using a bumper with a stronger or longer spring (don't know if they even exist) then we could possibly use weaker struts. It was still a nice catch, well done.

Top Dog

Aug 12, 2011
Wolverhampton
I was so close to doing this mod but after keeping an eye out and seeing the cons of this mod I think i will stay without it and put the £40-£50 on a different mod further down the line.

Seeing videos of it showed it was a cool mod but im swayed now to just let it be

+1 lucky i didnt start ordering the struts.

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
did anyone try just the sirrocco springs with the stock struts? would that little bounce be enough to get the tail gate up with out all the other probs of doubling the power of the strut?

I'm thinking this would be occasionally very useful, but I'm not bothered about it working every time at 6am in the cold and dark - just occasionally when my arms are full, or want to show off :)

(facelift FR btw)

Avendit

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I did, they didnt work with it, so will need the struts!

I have the springs and 550F struts fitted and it works well, also it isnt that hard to close the boots, the struts have loosened a bit, it is possible to close with one hand and i'm only 5ft 7 :)

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Lol. Im 6'5" an used two hands! I hate touching the paint when closing the boot. Try using one hand with the handle on the inside of the tailgate, nearly had my hand off with the big struts on! When its nearly closed i pushed the light casing down but thats not a good idea.

Deleted member 53697

Sooooo no definitive parts list for this mod that works 100% spot on then yet?

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
sounds like 550F struts and the new bump stops will work, just make the tailgate that bit harder to open. That's pretty definitive to my mind?

Shame there aren't some ~350newton struts of the right length, best of both worlds.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
You can order specific pressure (force N) with the same length and stroke. They have to be made to order i think. We just dont know what the absolute minimum force is to lift the boot after a 1inch pop! Just so its possible for one handed pull down handle close.

If we knew this mod would take off like a (cupra) lol

Good news, metrol are kind and do full refunds; minus 12 quid for me p&p both ways!

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
Hmmm. It's not the max power we want, its the initial shove we are missing :-/ what we need is a turbo on the strut, broaden the torque graph a bit :) It's the max power that makes it hard to close.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
Well after my orignal comment of "are the worth the money" i had mine delivered yesterday.
Work a treat when they have just been closed, but after the boot had been closed overnight the boot popped but no lift ... the smallest touch with my finger and the boot opened no problem.

So i have also ordered the Scirrocco Boot Bumbers (With Springs), they will be delivered friday and i am informed it will solve this issue. I will keep you posted.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Well after my orignal comment of "are the worth the money" i had mine delivered yesterday.
Work a treat when they have just been closed, but after the boot had been closed overnight the boot popped but no lift ... the smallest touch with my finger and the boot opened no problem.

So i have also ordered the Scirrocco Boot Bumbers (With Springs), they will be delivered friday and i am informed it will solve this issue. I will keep you posted.

Had my 550F struts and scirocco bump stops on for a month now and still work well! I'm sure you'll have no problems...
The struts have got easier to close too so its all gooooood! :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.