Revotechnik

Go Back   SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum » SEATCupra.net additional Resources » Car Care and Detailing » FinerDetails - Detailing Guides & Examples

FinerDetails - Detailing Guides & Examples Iain from FinerDetails shares his vast experience and knowledge of car care. Check out some of his tips, guides and examples of his work here.

Old 16-03-2010, 19:08   #1
wilky87

wilky87 has 10 points
Engine Cleaning

Hey guys, basically my engine is absolutly pitted. I had a daft hour hour cleaning it up earlier, it needs a hell of alot of work which i am going to do. Big improvement after only 30 mins of cleaning with just water and wd40, cant wait till the weekend to spend a good day on it, any tips would be massively appriciated

And after only 30 mins with no cleaning products

Last edited by wilky87; 16-03-2010 at 19:15.
wilky87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 20:41   #2
fellowsuk

fellowsuk has 10 points
good job mate with just wd40. get some degreaser,loadsa different makes out there, megs do a good one. cover any electrics and your alternator with clingfilm n use a pressure washer,not to powerfull tho.
fellowsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 20:45   #3
wilky87

wilky87 has 10 points
thnx buddy, was also abit worried about getting water into where the timing belt is
Old 01-06-2011, 20:26   #4
Kelly Baker

Any further update, would be interested to see how it turned out with more time.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:45   #5
n_d_fox

n_d_fox has 10 points
As above, get some sort of degreaser / cleaner and a dressing product.

I use Meguiars APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and Chemical Guys Bare Bones for dressing.

Here's a shot of mine after 10 minutes work (granted its a 59 plate car so was THAT dirty in the first place).

Before:

After:

You can use a jetwash on a wide angle spray pattern but dont direct the spray straight at the engine, sort of aim over it... Give the whole engine compartment a good soaking with a degreaser or cleaner the use detail brushes to aggitate the product in... leave for a few minutes and then with the engine running rinse (i dont cover anything up but thats a risk i am happy taking). shut the bonnet and let the engine idle for 10 minutes then dry off any remaining water. Lastly liberally cover the entire compartment with the dressing product and then shut the bonnet and leave it. Come back a couple of hours later and buff off any remaining product with a MF cloth.

Last edited by n_d_fox; 03-06-2011 at 10:48.
n_d_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 23:05   #6
Prestigechris

Prestigechris has 10 points
Autoglym instant tyre dressing sprayed all over engine whilst still wet and left to dry works well. Just do it before you wash the car in case of any overspray onto car.
Prestigechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:18   #7
Legojon

Legojon has 10 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_d_fox View Post
Here's a shot of mine after 10 minutes work (granted its a 59 plate car so was THAT dirty in the first place).

You can use a jetwash on a wide angle spray pattern but dont direct the spray straight at the engine, sort of aim over it... Give the whole engine compartment a good soaking with a degreaser or cleaner the use detail brushes to aggitate the product in... leave for a few minutes and then with the engine running rinse (i dont cover anything up but thats a risk i am happy taking).
WOW! That looks ace! Wish I was brave enough to do mine.

I can give a brilliant tip of what not to do though!!! I wiped the plastic bits over with a damp cloth... dried them. Then applied Autoglym vinyl and rubber over it. Made everything look nice n black ... only... cause I didn't use the degreaser first, I've sealed in about 100 mechanics fingerprints that are now really obvious and shiny! So I just closed the bonnet and left it for another day
Old 03-01-2018, 05:46   #8
Seatu

Seatu has 10 points
Is there another source for the photos? Will include Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner and Chemical Guys on my list
Seatu is offline   Reply With Quote