JamJay's 290bhp Ovni Yellow LCR - Latest: SOLD & Replaced With A BMW 335i Cabrio

Which Cat-Back System Should I Choose?

• Longlife Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £429 Fitted

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Hayward & Scott (Essex) 3" Non-Resonated - £550 Fitted

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Blueflame 2.76" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Milltek 2.76" > 3" Non-Resonated - £400 Delivered

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Powerflow Custom 3" Non-Resonated - £330 Fitted

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Far to expensive would have rather put the money together and got some v1s , your still be able to go low , with just an uprated arb , they look the nuts but not really worth it unless your a track *****

JamJay

California Bound
Coilovers Fitted - Guide

Hey all! I get what you say, they're very expensive but when I first got the car I said I'd never modify it, then I said I'd never go beyond Stage 1, now I'm pretty much at Stage 2and with handling mods and thinking about Garrett's or Hybrid Turbo's based on Wild Willy's, Rsmith's and a few members with S3's. Yes Dan, I know your feeling on the hybrid route :p.

Right, now to the main event, the Weitecs are on!

Me and my friend had a fair idea of what was needed to get these on but it was very much finished by learning on the job. Now, I am not including pictures right this minute but I'll stick up my review of them and a written guide to fitting them.

I used a 4-post MOT ramp for this job meaning that the front and rear could be jacked up completely at one time, this made life easy especially for the front.

Front

1. Jack the front of the car up and remove the wheel.
2. Remove the ABS sensor wiring that is attached to the shock and unplug is from the hub. Tuck it away somewhere in the arch.
3. Remove the brake pipe from the shock and tuck it away.
4. Undo the two bolts holding the Brembo caliper on and pull the caliper from the brake disc, leave it to rest on something like a block of wood.
5. Undo the the top of the ARB drop-link that is attached to the shock. This is where it helps to have the whole front jacked up and do this to the other side also, you won't get the shock out if you leave one side attached.
6. Undo the three bolts holding on the ball joint on to the hub.
7. Undo the bolt holding the base of the shock to the hub.
8. Press hard down on the wishbone a move the hub as far away from it as you can.
9. Now with a hammer and plenty of spray lube, hit the hub downwards and the shock should eventually release from the hub, well almost.
10. Open the bonnet and undo the top mount, you should then be able to remove the shock and spring complete.
11. If your top mounts are good, swap them over but make sure you have a spring compressor! Wind down the coilover and release the tension on the spring(s), now undo the top and put the top mount on.
12. You're now ready to retrace your steps above and refit the coilover shock absorber. Before you do this however, measure the height of them to make sure they are both the same, this will save a headache later and allow you to set them up correctly.
13. Now jack up as many times as it take to get a ride height you will like. Note that the car will settle a bit so what you think you've lowered it to will get a little lower! I wound mine all the way down to see what it would look like, at first it was higher than I thought but after a little drive it slammed on its @rse and was too low.

Rear

1. Jack the car up and remove the wheel.
2. Undo the bottom bolt on the shock that holds it to the rear beam, it again helps if you do both sides at the same time as the rear beam will drop completely.
3. Undo the two top bolts holding the shock to the car, the shock will now come out and you will also be able to remove the spring.
4. Remove the spring and fit the new bushes & top mounts the way they were situated on the OE shock and spring (or swap them over if your old ones are good).
5. Bolt the height adjuster to the spring cup, you might need to use a wire brush to scrub dirt off it so that it sits well.
6. Put the new shock up into the arch and bolt in the two bolts to the top mount.
7. Get a jack and place it under the hub, while jacking it up push the base of the shock into the bolt slot in the rear beam while making sure that the spring slides into the correct position between the cup & the car, now put the bolt in through the ream and shock absorber.
8. Again measure the the amount you are lowering on the adjuster. I did mine 15mm from the base of the adjuster and this matched the front wound down, too low. The tyres were up in the arches. I then raise it around 10mm and got the stance that I wanted.

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
Coilovers Fitted - Review

So, it was time to try them out. I did this on several road types which included dual carriage way, A-roads, motorway and country lanes.

The ride comfort is good, stiffer than OE but not too bouncy or crashy, in fact in some places it's better than OE, in others it does feel like a car with upgraded susupension but what do you expect? Turn-in is improved a lot, the steering feels a little more weighted at lower speeds and the car goes where it is pointed, understeer is reduced also, in fact it hasn't done it once in the same places that I usually have it letting go on OE suspension.

I pushed the car out of a few bends where normally I'd not feel comfortable and it just gripped, pulling me out of the corner and shooting me off like a rocket. Traction has improved now that the rear doesn't dip so much/at all and acceleration feels more fierce and instant, it just goes and nearly caught me out. I do not condone street racing nor have I ever done it but lets just say that a 335i coupe would probably look a little silly and the driver would be very surprised at just how good a SEAT can be ;).

I can't think of anything else to add, I am sure as the weeks pass I'll go into more detail but the bottom line is that this is an incredible step to take, the difference is night and day and will put a smile on your face.

Right now the car is too low for me, I'll leave it to settle more this week but on the weekend I'll have it up in the air and raised by a CM or two.

Bad points: Speed humps (at my current height).

Pics to follow tomorrow!

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
So, it was time to try them out. I did this on several road types which included dual carriage way, A-roads, motorway and country lanes.

The ride comfort is good, stiffer than OE but not too bouncy are crashy, in fact in some places it's better than OE, in others it does feel like a car with upgraded susupension but what do you expect? Turn-in is improved a lot, the steering feels a little more weighted at lower speeds and the car goes where it is pointed, understeer is reduced also, in fact it hasn't done it once in the same places that I usually have it letting go on OE suspension.

I pushed the car out of a few bends where normally I'd not feel comfortable and it just gripped, pulling me out of the corner and shooting me off like a rocket. Traction has improved now that the rear doesn't dip so much/at all and acceleration feels more fierce and instant, it just goes and nearly caught me out. I do not condone street racing nor have I ever done it but lets just say that a 335i coupe would probably look a little silly and the driver would be very surprised at just how good a SEAT can be ;).

I can't think of anything else to add, I am sure as the weeks pass I'll go into more detail but the bottom line is that this is an incredible step to take, the difference is night and day and will put a smile on your face.

Right now the car is too low for me, I'll leave it to settle more this week but on the weekend I'll have it up in the air and raised by a CM or two.

Bad points: Speed humps (at my current height).

Pics to follow tomorrow!

Great write up's mate. Well done on fitting them :)

Another satisfied coilover customer by the looks of it. I went for the AP's and even those transformed the handling of my LCR significantly at speed! Country roads are now a joy and turn in is so so much more precise and quicker!

You will only love them more and more as time goes by and you find the right height, plus they will settle down nicely too.

Looking forward to the pics. I think there might be a meet at Grasshopper pub over Westerham in a couple of weeks D.K has suggested this in my Bromley meet thread. Be good if you can come along if it goes ahead.

Enjoy the coilies! [B)]

JamJay

California Bound
I can imagine that coilovers as a general thing make any car feel a lot better, the difference comes in the quality of the components, the ride comfort and the freedom to fine tune different aspects. Weitec are middle of the road and for me, that works fine :).

The height is way too low now dude, i'll show you all tomorrow but it's be fun playing low rider all day, not forever mind :D.

Interested in the Grasshopper meet, it's quite local for me but it's Halloween weekend so I'll only be available for a short time perhaps which is a shame but will be nice to see some familiar faces and meet you and anyone else fairly new.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I can imagine that coilovers as a general thing make any car feel a lot better, the difference comes in the quality of the components, the ride comfort and the freedom to fine tune different aspects. Weitec are middle of the road and for me, that works fine :).

The height is way too low now dude, i'll show you all tomorrow but it's be fun playing low rider all day, not forever mind :D.

Interested in the Grasshopper meet, it's quite local for me but it's Halloween weekend so I'll only be available for a short time perhaps which is a shame but will be nice to see some familiar faces and meet you and anyone else fairly new.

I'll be honest and say my original plan was for the Weitec's but AMD said for my type of road use for the car the AP's would be fine, but this was also taking into account the length of time I'll keep the car, which will be another 1-2 years tops really.

The Weitec's are a bit better and would have lasted me longer but I went for the cheaper option and took an ever so slight risk. However, I haven't been disappointed and they've really made me enjoy driving the car at speed again along those country/B-roads :)

Would be good to meet you and everyone else, and talk some boost!

JamJay

California Bound
After a particularly stressful 2hours of the morning, I have decided to take the rest of the day and tomorrow as holiday so I'll raise the suspension later or tomorrow.

I'll be getting some before and after shots soon :D.

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
After a particularly stressful 2hours of the morning, I have decided to take the rest of the day and tomorrow as holiday so I'll raise the suspension later of tomorrow.

I'll be getting some before and after shots soon :D.

Jammy git! Enjoy tweaking around with the coilies, sure beats work ;)

JamJay

California Bound
Coilover Pictures

Well here you are people, pictures of the car after the coilovers have been fitted. I plan to raise it around 1cm more whenever I can and I think when I get some 15mm spacers for the rear and swap the 10mm to the front, I'll love it even more :).

utf-8BRFNDRjg0NDIuSlBH.jpg

utf-8BRFNDRjg0NDQuSlBH.jpg

utf-8BRFNDRjg0NDMuSlBH.jpg

Last edited:

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Looks great , nice guide for fitting as well as I plan to fit my own as well , rear looks great think I may want it a tad lower tho , Front looks good as well , must admit your car looks great now it's been resprayed

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.