150PD: Golf or Leon??

The Bishmeister

Hi guys. Im after some unbiased advice.

I want a 150PD TDi but I cant decide what to get, either the Leon or Golf.

Can you tell me what YOU would get and the reasons for this?

Your input will be the deciding factor on which one I buy!

Cheers In advance

Almost a new diesel driver ;)

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Driven a Golf 150 tdi, and they go well, but they share the same engine so they should.
However, they look the same as most other golfs, and handle very poorly in standard form when compared to the Leon 150.
I have the Leon 150, so expect some bias but i honestly think the golf lacks something. Handling and looks being top of the list.

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i've only had the leon, but love it
big boot, handles well, massive parts stock, cheap insurance, nice mog as lighter than a golf, probably...
looks different as well depending upon age and model spec,
same as chrisb, all golfs are the same, bland

kerrbryan

Sep 30, 2005
Ayrshire, Scotland
Your opinion is the 1 that should count.

Go for the one that you think is the best. Test drive both though.

I dont think performance wise there will be much in it but overall looks handling, interior etc is up too you

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
The golf seems to hold its value better though.
I have looked at selling my 04 leon cupra tdi fsh done 105k and been offered 6k. You cant buy an 04 plate gt tdi 130 for that money

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Leon looks better and handles better. Furthermore I believe you get more boot space in the Leon?

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Leon is a better buy value wise 2nd hand, but if you were buying new the Golf would be the oneto go for.

I just sold my Golf 2003 150 tdi with 130k on the clock, & I was getting trade in offers of £5k, so forecort wise thats a good £7k... in the end I sold it my mum, screw the dealer getting a cut

It did handle like a dingy in choppy lake though :(

But never broke down either

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
If you're planning on uprating the ARBs, and stiffening the suspension, then handling-wise it won't make any difference which car you buy!

For a rounded view, I'd ask the same question on www.ukmivs.co.uk and then compare notes...

Or if you're planning on modding, then go with the car you like the look of, and get buying!

T

strugers1

f you was to get the golf you have to go for the anniversary one but then if you go for the leon you got to go for the fr plus both geat looking cars, but the golf is rarer, but the leon look cooler

Thierry

I've had a Leon FR TDI for the past 6 months and can't fault it.

The engines should be identical but the ride of the Leon is excellent. I've never driven the Golf GT TDI but have driven a lower spec Golf and didn't think much of the ride/handling, I don't know if this applies across the range?

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
The only Golf 150pd i'd have would be the Anniversary. The FR's and FR+'s are great, seriously tempted by one but just slightly out of my price range :(

Agree, the Golf Anniversary TDI would be a good choice but they are more expensive but hopefully will hold the premium being a limited edition.

The 150PD is gives a great drive and gives good ecomony - that being said from a man that really didnt want a diesel in the family

m4ttl

I had a similar dilemma a while ago - having driven a Leon Cupra 20VT for four months and also test driven a FR TDi I knew they went and handled well. So I found a clean 53 plate Golf GT TDI 150 and took it for a test drive. I couldn't believe the difference. The Golf handled like a pig on ice skates, it was awful! So that made my mind up to get the Leon, and i ended up buying.....an Altea!! Basically because I could get the Mk 5 chassis and the 140hp TDI engine for less money than an FR TDI.

But having driven both, I'd recommend the Leon. Much better looks, better handling, bigger boot and doesn't have the undeserved premium on the price.

here's my 2p worth
The Golf is better built trim wise, the standard is far higher (my other half has one), its quieter but its VERY heavy.

The Leon is more Audi A3 inside due to the dash, but from the dash down is a sad storey trim wise.

Engine and gear box, nothing in it as it the same kit.

Value for money........Leon....you get more toys per buck.

Golf Vs Leon

for me the leon wins......thats why i drive one.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.