Air Filters - Possibilities

Martyn1989

Jul 22, 2009
Having extensively used the much loved search function on this forum, I have a few questions regarding air filters.

First of all, I have a 51 Ibiza Chill 1.4, and I am having some trouble identifying exactly what engine I have so I can purchase the correct filter.

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/index.php?manufacturers_id=59&cat_id=1088

Based on the above link, would I need filter for the 1.4 16v model or the 1.4 MPI model? I think I have an 8V engine, but I don't know how I would be able to tell.

As for induction kits, I am contemplating buying one. Is it worth it, or should I stick to replacing the standard filter in the airbox with a similar filter?

I have read a few people saying that money can be saved by drilling a whole in an air box and attaching a pipe, which would achieve the same effect. Would this be difficult to do?

Also, I have read induction kits can affect the fuel consumption of a car, is this true? What is the deal with potential damage to the MAF sensor?

I wouldn't mind a better engine noise, and a few extra BHP, which is my main reason for considering an induction kit, but either way I would like to change the ail filter.

Cheers.

Last edited:

tyrrell

Jul 7, 2009
well... ask your self... is it hard to take a drill to the side of your airbox... its a pretty easy answer.

and they say you shouldnt run a oil based filter eg (kandn) because it it may damage the maf internals,

in regard to a "better engine noise" as you put it,
you will get more iduction roar with both drilling the airbox and a cone filter, both will give u nill/hardly any power gains
liam

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Having extensively used the much loved search function on this forum, I have a few questions regarding air filters.

First of all, I have a 51 Ibiza Chill 1.4, and I am having some trouble identifying exactly what engine I have so I can purchase the correct filter.

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/index.php?manufacturers_id=59&cat_id=1088

Based on the above link, would I need filter for the 1.4 16v model or the 1.4 MPI model? I think I have an 8V engine, but I don't know how I would be able to tell.

As for induction kits, I am contemplating buying one. Is it worth it, or should I stick to replacing the standard filter in the airbox with a similar filter?

I have read a few people saying that money can be saved by drilling a whole in an air box and attaching a pipe, which would achieve the same effect. Would this be difficult to do?

Also, I have read induction kits can affect the fuel consumption of a car, is this true? What is the deal with potential damage to the MAF sensor?

I wouldn't mind a better engine noise, and a few extra BHP, which is my main reason for considering an induction kit, but either way I would like to change the ail filter.

Cheers.

Hey,

You would need this one

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=59&products_id=200838

as your cars a 1.4 8v, tbh it wont give you any extra bhp, will just give it a slightly nicer sound, iv toyed with the idea myself, but i cant really justify the cost for no power gains. Cant help with your drilling a hole in the air box, but personally dont tihnk i would "drill a hole" in any of my car.

Personally id just replace it for standard, but its your car mate.

Get some pics up btw

Andy

tyrrell

Jul 7, 2009
i wouldnt drill it either .. just get a cone filter.

and if you do drill it, make sure you drill the holes so that the air actually gets filtered rather then drilling them in the other side (bypassing the filter)

hard to explain - just buy a induction kit - problem solved

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Tried 2 on my old 1.4 and to say it's worse fuel consumption is being polite! Had a cheap ass ebay jobbie to start with which just smelt like pi$$ and then a Green Cotton which I picked up on ebay for a bargain! Mine went so far it damaged the pre-cat lambda sensor (£60 odd to replace). The sound is very nice and makes it sound half decent i guess but I wouldn't waste you money, especially with a green filter on a 1.4!

Mat

don't put one on a 1.4. waste of time. i put one on mine.... makes things worse

Martyn1989

Jul 22, 2009
How come it makes things worse mate?

Should I just look around for a stock placement?

Martyn1989

Jul 22, 2009
I'll go for the stock filter then.

Does anyone know any good places to source one for a reasonable price? The same with HT leads?

Cheers.