boosting weird and holding back etc

brad1

Evening all

Im just wondering if you guys can help me at all

basically, my boost is all over the place, when i plant my foot at 2000rpm the boost goes to what it normally does, around 18psi, then immediately drops off to around 12psi, and you can feel it holding back, then it will go to around 16psi etc, its like its holding boost, loosing boost etc, the boost is all over the show, i had a new maf last week, 2nd one in two days, somehow a maf died on me within 2 days of going in and it got replaced, now im not sure if this one has died, i did some logs while going along with vag com, and the actual maf reading, not specified, the actual one didnt go above 850mg, is my maf the problem again, there is no faults on vagcom, and ive also switched the n18 valve and n75 valve around with each other and its made no difference, im puzzled :confused:
is there anyway or anything that can kill a maf off this quick, surely it shouldnt go this quick??
anyone got any ideas??

cheers

brad1

could the map sesnor ontop of the side mount intercooler cause this and need replacing??

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
im not sure what it could be! does sound like a maf sensor tho! maybe a split or loose vac pipe or inercooler pipe!

Bigger Turbo????? what you having done ;)

brad1

got a pd 130 garret turbo going on with larger nozzles, hoping in the region of 170+ bhp

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
nice! if i ever sort my exhaust out i will hopefully hit between 180 - 190!!! Spoke to pipecraft and they will be fitting me in soon! they close to AmD?? i live quite far away lol!
and did you figure out that vibration!??

brad1

you get the same nozzles i have then!!??

im trying too, i cant find them anywhere, can you please do me a favour mate, email him and ask if he has got any more sets left?? as i desperately need a set as i aint got none and car is going in in less that 2 weeks :help:

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Thought the injectors fitted to the 130 and 150 were common and as such at your desired power of 170hp Brad you dont need to waste money on different injectors.
Glynn

brad1

Thought the injectors fitted to the 130 and 150 were common and as such at your desired power of 170hp Brad you dont need to waste money on different injectors.
Glynn

mine is a 110tdi glynn, i need to uprate the nozzles to allow more fuel as my nozzles are maxed out for a standard remap on my car ;)

well today i put a new n75 valve on and new map sensor and ive still got the problem, surely its not the maf again???

brad1

well ive put a new n75 valve and map sensor on my car, and its still boosting weird, and holding back, surely it cant be maf again, only thing i can think of now is faulty actuator or sticky vains, how do you excercise the vains without taking the turbo off or apart??

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
You can do some kind of test on Vag Com! you tried the good old fashioned italian tune up!!!???

PS: that guy is trying to get some nozzles but is having difficulty! He will email me if he ever gets some again!

brad1

My car gets a italian tune up everyday lol, ok mate, I need some by monday 9th, this is when my car goes in, also tommorow I'm going to put a new vac line from actuator to n75 as the one on it might be split as me and unclefester was chatting today and he said it might be that, worth a try I guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:

brad1

Bit of a little update if your interested lol, had a quick look with a torch last night and there looks like a split in the vac hose from the n75 to the actuator so hopefully this is my problem, maybe I'm speaking to soon lol, anyone know where I can buy the standard vac line from???

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Bit of a little update if your interested lol, had a quick look with a torch last night and there looks like a split in the vac hose from the n75 to the actuator so hopefully this is my problem, maybe I'm speaking to soon lol, anyone know where I can buy the standard vac line from???
Thats actually quite common. That happened to pat and myself previously.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.