Braking Performance.... Or lack of it....

dazla8

Evening people, thought i'd register on here and pick your brains over an issue i have with the Braking performance of my 3 month old Ibiza FR TDI. It basically feels like the brakes aren't biting enough... I'm not sure whether the ABS has something to do with this, but i get the impression it does not want to stop! If it is a known trait of these cars to be poor under braking then fair enough, but i highly doubt it could be this bad! So i was wondering if anyone has experienced similar.....

Thanks,

Daryl.:confused:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the brakes arent very good on the fr's but it is a popular modification to put the 312mm audi tt calipers pads disks ect as it simply bolts on and dramaticly increases braking performance

but if i were you i would check there is not airlocks in the brake fluid by bleeding the brakes if no joy still test the brake servo by pumping the brake pedal while engine is off then when hard turn the engine on and the pedal should sink slowly!

if still no joy then inspect the pads ect

oh and welcome to the site mate :wave:

Poverty

Since I got eagle F1's my car stops, goes and corners like a bad ass mother :D

If because of insurance reasons you cant do the TT upgrade, get stickier tyres instead! Plus you will get to have the joys of wearing out the standard ones.

BTW how many miles has your car done?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Evening people, thought i'd register on here and pick your brains over an issue i have with the Braking performance of my 3 month old Ibiza FR TDI. It basically feels like the brakes aren't biting enough... I'm not sure whether the ABS has something to do with this, but i get the impression it does not want to stop! If it is a known trait of these cars to be poor under braking then fair enough, but i highly doubt it could be this bad! So i was wondering if anyone has experienced similar.....

Thanks,

Daryl.:confused:

I found the EBA a confusing thing at first when I drove some FR's on a track last year. push the pedal & it just feels soft - but you do slow down if you keep your toe in. I made the mistake of lifting / keeping constant pressure

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Hi Daryl,

Is the car new/second hand, approximate age may be good as well.

If the car is brand new or has recent pads/disks they may need bedding in.

Ps piccies of your car???

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
Got to admit the pedal does need a firm prod. But they pull you up.

Silly question - you haven't got cushioned soles on your shoes which are absorbing some of the 'push'!:D

dazla8

thanks for the info fella's, much appreciated!

if i get no joy out of the dealership, i might just go along with them not being too good, and plan the tt upgrade!:D

It's a new 2007 built, FR TDI, 5 door(coz of the wife), in Emocion Red, it's done about 6k miles.

Cheers,

Daryl.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i drove a standard one and the brakes were pretty sharp i thought, then again i have a mk2 with discs and pads that need replacing:p

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
people normally uprate the calipers and pads ect when the standard setup need new pads and discs as the dealer charge pritty much the price of the tt upgrade so it makes sense too realy :shrug:

Deleted member 13581

My brakes seem to be doing the trick just now.

Although,im sure if i was going to do the upgrade to the 312mm disks and TT calipers i need PD130 hubs. (ive read that somewhere)

Will maybe just buy better quality disks and pads when mine is needing replaced.

ChrisBowe82

Well when I tested a pre facelift DERV FR, I found the stopping power fantastic (probs because I'd just climbed out of my 206 with CD size solid discs) But when I got my 07 petrol FR, found I really have to stamp on it to get decent braking performance.

I have now come to the conclusion it's because I'm enjoying the car and going at lightspeed most of the time I need to put the brakes on, the reason it's taking longer to stop... I dunno, only done 1.5k so far in it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.