Car Dead!

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Not driven my 204 V2 Hybrid for 9 days and its been sat on the drive. Connected to it via the Connect app and set a departure time for tomorrow at 11am, something I do regularly. It took a couple of goes to get it to register but that's nothing unusual.
Went out to the car to connect the charger but the keyfob or kessy won't unlock the car. Tried several times, nothing. So I used the actual metal key and opened the drivers door. No interior lights at all. Tried the ignition, nothing. Tried the unlock button on the console, nothing. First thoughts are the 12v battery has died! The car is just over 2 years old btw.
So I thought I'd open the bonnet and release the hybrid charging flap using the emergency pull but I can't get the bonnet open because the passenger door stops me from pulling the bonnet lever. There's no keyhole in the passenger door so I can't open anything except the drivers door!

I know @elzo on here had 12v battery problems but being, left-hand drive could open the bonnet to get a jump start. I can't do that so anyone got any suggestions?
I'll being giving the dealer a ring in the morning to see what they say. :mad:

Oh and just to add the hybrid battery is at 61%.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Pardon my ignorance not been close to the newer models. Is it still possible to trickle charge the battery via Cigarette lighter port (if they still have them).

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Umm, I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I think there's a 12v port under the centre arm rest. I do have a Ctek MSX3.8 and an adapter so maybe that's an option? Think I'll check with Cupra in the morning first just to make sure it's OK to do it that way. Hybrid electronics might not like it?

Having sat here thinking about it, the 12v battery is in the boot on the hybrid so I might be able to access that from inside the car (can't open the boot!) Again will check with Cupra as I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere that says 12v trickle charging isn't advised.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Ok, now it happened to you too.
You can open the hood of the car and there is a special place under the fuse cover for recharging or lighting the car. However, if the car is under warranty, I do not recommend doing this.

A hybrid battery will not help in this situation. Also connecting the hybrid charging cable will not help.

Call Seat Connect Service.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Ok, now it happened to you too.
You can open the hood of the car and there is a special place under the fuse cover for recharging or lighting the car. However, if the car is under warranty, I do not recommend doing this.

A hybrid battery will not help in this situation. Also connecting the hybrid charging cable will not help.

Call Seat Connect Service.
He can’t open the bonnet (hood), it’s a RHD car and the bonnet release is blocked by the passenger door than can only be unlocked electronically. Unless there’s a manual door unlock somewhere.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
On a 5F Leon it is just possible to persuade the bonnet release past the door with a bit of gentle sideways pressure. Maybe a similar bit of persuasion is possible on your Tormenter?

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I opened the driver's door with a metal key, and the passenger door opens easily from the inside.

But yes, your situation is likely to be slightly different.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Now it's light I've tried again with no luck. Passenger door will not open.

Also looked at @Seriously?'s suggestion. Absolutely no chance in the Formentor. Deffo need the door open to release the bonnet.
20230901_094651.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Seriously?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
So I called Cupra Customer Services here in the UK and they gave me a breakdown/recovery number suggesting I was still covered under the warranty.
It turned out to be the AA who promptly told me my cover ran out in June when the car was 2 years old!
Anyway, I'm covered with the AA via my bank account so someone should be with me later today.
Updates to follow!

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
So I called Cupra Customer Services here in the UK and they gave me a breakdown/recovery number suggesting I was still covered under the warranty.
It turned out to be the AA who promptly told me my cover ran out in June when the car was 2 years old!
Anyway, I'm covered with the AA via my bank account so someone should be with me later today.
Updates to follow!
Oh ok, I forgot that you only have a 2 year warranty!
It is strange that in different countries the guarantee is also different.
My car warranty is 5 years or 100,000 km.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Oh ok, I forgot that you only have a 2 year warranty!
It is strange that in different countries the guarantee is also different.
My car warranty is 5 years or 100,000 km.
2 years breakdown cover. 3 years warranty, thankfully!

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
🤔 Is it possible to loop a cable tie or two, or packing tape or coat hanger and fashion a lasso or some such and loop over and pull the lever some?

Oh wait, I just looked at picture 😮

That's a complete 4 course dogs dinner of a design flaw 😳

Reactions: Seriously?

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
IF you can get behind the panel the lever is on from underneath and get hold of the cable, give it a tug.

In the good old days you could open the bonnet from the front grille.

Does the inner door handle not work on the passenger side? 🙈

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
But seriously, Good Luck Dave

Let us know how you get on.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
IF you can get behind the panel the lever is on from underneath and get hold of the cable, give it a tug.

In the good old days you could open the bonnet from the front grille.

Does the inner door handle not work on the passenger side? 🙈
Thanks for that and your suggestions. And no, the passenger door won't open using the internal door handle. How stupid is that?

I'm too much of an old git to be squirming around inside the car unfortunately :ROFLMAO:. AA should be here soon.

Wyld Stallyn

Mar 10, 2022
And no, the passenger door won't open using the internal door handle. How stupid is that?
🤔 Does this mean if the12V battery goes flat we will ALL not be able to open the bonnet? 🙈

Watch this space.... anything can happen in the next half hour... 😳

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Is it possible to unlock the passenger door using the key? Keyhole covered by a bit of plastic trim you can pop off.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
No, the Formentor has a different system than the one that you mention and I also know from Octavia for example. Have a look at this short video and zoom-in on the door handles - only the driver's door has a keyhole (not covered):

It's really stupid that the passenger door cannot be opened from the inside with the 12V battery gone!
Furthermore, as a future owner of Formentor PHEV I find it really ridiculous that one might have a full HV battery but cannot move/touch the car because of a dead 12V battery!!! How hard is it to have a redundant circuit that, when the 12V is bellow a certain threshold, would provide 12V from the HV battery?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
No, the Formentor has a different system than the one that you mention and I also know from Octavia for example. Have a look at this short video and zoom-in on the door handles - only the driver's door has a keyhole (not covered):

It's really stupid that the passenger door cannot be opened from the inside with the 12V battery gone!
Furthermore, as a future owner of Formentor PHEV I find it really ridiculous that one might have a full HV battery but cannot move/touch the car because of a dead 12V battery!!! How hard is it to have a redundant circuit that, when the 12V is bellow a certain threshold, would provide 12V from the HV battery?
As I do not use my car very often I have been using an Optimate charger which is connected to the battery all the time the car is parked in the drive. I have been doing his since the pandemic and it avoids the battery ever going flat, and as the Optimate, Ctek etc type chargers maintain the battery and give a reading on its ability, plenty of time to replace if needed. The charging lead can be fed thru the front grill on the Leon so the bonnet is still locked, and the CUPRA dealer even swapped the connecter lead on the battery over from my Leon Cupra 280 to my new VZ2 for me. So unless the Hybrids have a radically different 12V set up try keeping it on charge when not using it.

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
Yep, that's a nice idea, but as mentioned around here the 12V of the hybrid battery is located under the floor of the boot. If I'm not completely mistaking I remember seeing somewhere mentioned something about connecting to some charge points (12V) under the hood for the specific case of VAG PHEVs. The Positive was inside the fuse-box and the Negative above the brake-fluid reservoir.

Searching... and found it! I wasn't that much wrong... The video is for the Golf GTE - but it's a very similar setup:

However, the solution you mentioned above is not an option for me since I'll have my car parked in an underground parking with charging stations for EVs (and PHEVs), but no accessible 220V sockets for a 12V charger.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise