Car Dead!

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
I had a Blackvue dash cam fitted to my Mercedes and it killed the battery even with the settings to shut off at low levels.

Dashcam returned.

of not also, I asked my insurer if any discount was to be made to my premiums and having said no, they muttered that if anything the premium may go up as it’s now a desireable item inside the car! (Even though it was removed each time)

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I had a Blackvue dash cam fitted to my Mercedes and it killed the battery even with the settings to shut off at low levels.

Dashcam returned.

of not also, I asked my insurer if any discount was to be made to my premiums and having said no, they muttered that if anything the premium may go up as it’s now a desireable item inside the car! (Even though it was removed each time)
I had this one professionally fitted a week after I got the car. My previous one (similar model) was fitted by the same person and was in the car nearly 4 years without issue. I realise the 12v battery in the PHEV is small but checked this morning and the dashcam has shutdown. 12.28v on the battery.
I'm with Aviva and get a discount for having it so I'm happy

Just trying to work out how your Blackvue flattened the battery when you 'removed it each time'??

So far I'm fairly convinced the fault was in the rear door lock. Even though I had no indication of a door being open. Fact is it was unlocked when others were deadlocked.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
So I called Cupra Customer Services here in the UK and they gave me a breakdown/recovery number suggesting I was still covered under the warranty.
It turned out to be the AA who promptly told me my cover ran out in June when the car was 2 years old!
Anyway, I'm covered with the AA via my bank account so someone should be with me later today.
Updates to follow!
Found this post regarding the term of the breakdown cover - as my car is now 2 years old am I right in thinking the breakdown cover has expired after the 2 years, but warranty is for 3 years?

I had it serviced at Cupra in October, and I read you get another 12 months cover, but how do I know / check this is the case?

Last edited:

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Found this post regarding the term of the breakdown cover - as my car is now 2 years old am I right in thinking the breakdown cover has expired after the 2 years, but warranty is for 3 years?

I had it serviced at Cupra in October, and I read you get another 12 months cover, but how do I know / check this is the case?
Correct.
Some main dealers do include a further 12 months cover following a service. Best bet is to ring your Cupra dealer and ask them.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Wow, seems somewhat cheap practice, every other car I’ve bought the breakdown term is aligned with the warranty. It’s nice of them to let you know it’s expired (or maybe it hasn’t with the dealer extension)!

Seems a warranty extension is difficult to pin down too.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I agree totally. I was never informed that the breakdown cover had expired. I had the car serviced at my local Cupra dealer and there was no mention of breakdown cover at all. In fact it seemed they just wanted to charge me for the service and say goodbye, no pleasantries at all tbh.
I've moved on from Cupra now as I couldn't bare the thought of owning it outside of warranty!

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I need to get breakdown cover for my MG anyway so tempted to get personal cover so I’m covered on both cars and not have to find out I’m not covered by Cupra when I need it.

ETA: Service invoice Nov 22 has 12 months complimentary breakdown listed, nothing on the Oct 23 invoice. As having 12 months complimentary cover in the middle of 2 years covers from purchase seems pointless, do I assume it’s now a 3 year term with the 12 months tacked onto the end of the 2 years? Clear as mud, need to check.

Last edited:

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I need to get breakdown cover for my MG anyway so tempted to get personal cover so I’m covered on both cars and not have to find out I’m not covered by Cupra when I need it.

ETA: Service invoice Nov 22 has 12 months complimentary breakdown listed, nothing on the Oct 23 invoice. As having 12 months complimentary cover in the middle of 2 years covers from purchase seems pointless, do I assume it’s now a 3 year term with the 12 months tacked onto the end of the 2 years? Clear as mud, need to check.
Spoke to Cupra Assist (i.e. the AA) and as expected - it's not covered as of 1st March on 2 year anniversary of buying the car. Then I spoke to the Cupra dealer who serviced the car in Nov 2022 and the 12 month complimentary cover ran in parallel to the 2 year Cupra cover and has expired. In other words, it was completely useless.

So as I have 2 months left to go on the Green Flag cover on my MG, I have flipped that to Personal Cover to cover the MG as the main car (as it's over 16 years old and the Cupra's obviously under 16 years old) for just under £6 extra for 2 months, the job's a guddun!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.