Clutch upgrade options

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Clutch has started to slip as expected now at stage 2.

What are my options for clutch upgrades... do i have to replace everything or is there more cost effective route? Is a matter of just replacing the standard one or is an upgrade needed?

Also what are the cheaper brands like CG motorsport or drivetorque like, or stick with Sachs?

cheers

Last edited:

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
been directed to one of these friction plates to use with standard dmf set up...

What else would i need with this? I guess a new flywheel while its out...

Do i need a new cover plate too? I have a spare slave cylinder that got send with my replacement clutch pedal, its not new but will it work as a spare?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Wont a decent standard LUK clutch do?
Is the one in the car quite new and the stage 2 making it slip or is it an old clutch anyway?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Wont a decent standard LUK clutch do?
Is the one in the car quite new and the stage 2 making it slip or is it an old clutch anyway?
I believe standard clutch is rated to 300lbft max and im over that

its an old clutch but its right as rain except now under heavy load i can tell its slipping, like i say it was to be expected to now im learning about clutches lol

Trying to spend as little as possible without cheaping out, debating what else to get with the uprated friction plate. Wish i could see the state of my flywheel without taking it all apart

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Dazzalcr put a vid up on the what have you done to your car today thread the other day.
Im sure he talks about what clutch he used on that at the beginning.
Race centre plate with standard cover if memory serves.
Take a looksee. May give a bit of info you need 👍

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Dazzalcr put a vid up on the what have you done to your car today thread the other day.
nice one bro ill check it out. thx for the replies

Reactions: Rich.T

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Yeah hes got the one linked, looks like ill be getting that and probably a new flywheel soon

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Have you considered buying a full set - including flywheel - and just swapping out the uprated clutch plate? It's something I'm considering.

Reason being that it sounds like a flywheel on its own is stupid money when you can get one in a set for much less. The Sachs kit in looking at is around £300 - including the flywheel. I'm leaning closer and closer to getting a tune, so am just thinking I'll sell the clutch plate and buy an uprated one.

Of course, if you can't actually do that, that puts an end to that idea, but I can't see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Have you considered buying a full set - including flywheel - and just swapping out the uprated clutch plate? It's something I'm considering.

Reason being that it sounds like a flywheel on its own is stupid money when you can get one in a set for much less. The Sachs kit in looking at is around £300 - including the flywheel. I'm leaning closer and closer to getting a tune, so am just thinking I'll sell the clutch plate and buy an uprated one.

Of course, if you can't actually do that, that puts an end to that idea, but I can't see why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a bad idea at all actually, flywheel on its own seems to be around 300

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Nice! 😁
Thats pretty torquey lol.
Have you got an FR?
Is there any difference between the clutch on an FR and cupra r?
If not, i would have thought a standard clutch kit would do (with the R being 225 hp).
If they are different. Would a clutch kit n flywheel from an R fit?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Nice! 😁
Thats pretty torquey lol.
Have you got an FR?
Is there any difference between the clutch on an FR and cupra r?
If not, i would have thought a standard clutch kit would do (with the R being 225 hp).
If they are different. Would a clutch kit n flywheel from an R fit?
yeah FR/cupra , its pretty torquey but it peaks early and then hp takes over

I dont think theres any difference in the models regards to clutch, just depends what model gearbox you have. I think theres 6 speed 02j and 02m and 5 speeds i have no clue lol

seems you can run the plate i linked above with the OEM cover and flywheel no issue.

Now im just deciding what the cheapest route will be, shouldnt have spent my money on handling mods haha

No idea whether my flywheel needs changing

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I would replace the flywheel. Peace of mind and all that.

Mine had a new standard clutch and flywheel about 6 months ago.
Im wondering how long that'll last now when i go stage 2.

Saying that, i never really push my car. For me its more an exercise in spending money i havnt really got lol

Reactions: oggydoodaa

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Saying that, i never really push my car. For me its more an exercise in spending money i havnt really got lol

You won’t have a problem at all. I use standard kit and have no issues what so ever, 283 brake and approx 295 lbs.
if you want more. Badger5 do an updates Sachs 4 paddle clutch plate which you use with the rest of oem parts. Good foe 400 brake apparently.
I had one but never fitted due to **** up with mechanic.
Had my standard set up for over 3 years with lots of track time snd have. O issues.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
02m is 6 speed
02j is 5 speed
Thank you for correcting me!
You won’t have a problem at all. I use standard kit and have no issues what so ever, 283 brake and approx 295 lbs.
if you want more. Badger5 do an updates Sachs 4 paddle clutch plate which you use with the rest of oem parts. Good foe 400 brake apparently.
I had one but never fitted due to **** up with mechanic.
Had my standard set up for over 3 years with lots of track time snd have. O issues.

Suppose i might as well get a new flywheel. Is it worth getting a new cover too or just the paddle plate?

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

My daily driving as all good, its just when i slap the pedal to the floor its all noise no go haha

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
If it were me I’d change it all for oem clutch Kit
I’m no mechanic but If I’m having the work done if it’s open I change it so it’s done once. Flywheel dependant on inspection though.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
If it were me I’d change it all for oem clutch Kit
I’m no mechanic but If I’m having the work done if it’s open I change it so it’s done once. Flywheel dependant on inspection though.

Think im gonna find the best priced standard Luk kit and switch out the clutch plate for sachs ,hmmm

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.