Coilpack problem?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Im at work, and have just left to go home and my car appears to be buggered!

It's misfiring all over the shop, wont even idle without the revs dipping, then ECU seems to be adjusting somerthing to bring revs back to 800, then they will dip again, then after 3rd or 4th time it will eventually stall completely......

Theres a sort of eggy smell, so half of me is thinkin coil packs causing misfiring and the unburnt petrol hitting the cat causing the egg smell???

Please help as I would really like to get home at some point tonight!!!!!!

Thanks

Ben

edit: my other thought at first with the rough running was possibly the MAF, but I dont think that would make the smell so much, no?

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
thanks, I know its been covered a thousand times, just wanted reassuring to be honest.

My mates got some in his boot for his clio 1.4... complete stab in the dark, but im guessing they wont fit on mine and im stuck leaving the car here tonight?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
just a word of advice; don't drive it with a buggered coil pack or you will bung the cat up!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Yeah cheers danny, its a 20 mile drive home so wasnt going to try and attempt it anyway!! lol

are there 4 coil packs on these then or just two?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah cheers danny, its a 20 mile drive home so wasnt going to try and attempt it anyway!! lol

are there 4 coil packs on these then or just two?

4, one over each plug. ~£25 each from the dealers. I always carry a spare these days!

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
yeah i think ill start doing that lol. ill go have a look now pop the HT leads off to see if it affects it and find out which one it is...

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
can you just replace one or do you have to do all 4

there are no HT leads. The coilpacks sit directly on the plugs, they just unplug and pull out, although cylinders 3 and 4 are more awkward as the n249 etc are in the way! You can just replace 1, but it is more than likely the others will follow soon, so keep a spare :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
turns out it was the pipe to the DV that had popped off, stuck it back on and its fine..... thank god!

at least it's not gunna cost me anything!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.