Coolant Sensor

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Lno
Basically with the ignition on, 1 pin on the coolant temperature sensor connector should have 5v and the other pin should be 0v, reference to ground.
If this checks out, it's probably a new coolant sensor.
If this is not the case - you are into checking wiring/ECU/grounding.
Knowing my luck it'll be wiring. I'm going to have to take air box out and move a few pipes I think to get to the sensor

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Got a replacement coolant temp sensor but still can't find it on the car. I've removed the air box to give me more room but still can't see it. Followed the coolant pipe but got a feeling the sensor is at Rear if engine. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG20230526143922.jpg

IMG20230526143927.jpg

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
The picture you posted shows a straight sensor.
The one above is a right angle sensor
Yeah I posted the wrong picture, my apologies. It's definitely the right angle sensor I have.

Going by the page from the manual I dont get the removing of gearbox cables. Didn't think it would be that involved just to change a sensor.

I can see me selling this car soon.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
So going by the pictures of my engine I posted, where roughly is the sensor? I know I'm being a bit thick but I've always used garages and never tried any mechanic stuff myself until I had this car and the garages couldn't fix anything.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Have a look at this video - 38 secs in - he shows you the sensor and its location
That's the video I watched today and why I took the air box out to give me more room but couldn't see the sensor. Unless I have pipes, hoses or something obscuring it. Looks like I'll be taking more bits off lol. What a hassle for 1 sensor. Why do car manufacturers never make it easy?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
So going by the pictures of my engine I posted, where roughly is the sensor? I know I'm being a bit thick but I've always used garages and never tried any mechanic stuff myself until I had this car and the garages couldn't fix anything.

Your coolant sensor is here:

1685432342950.png

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Cheers, had a look and thought it was there. So I take it I have to remove that big hose and the smaller ones?
My mechanic had to remove the fat (air intake?) hose to get to it. The bolt that holds it in the block also holds another bracket in place, so it's a real faff to get out. He said it was a real b@ll ache.

Just pray you never have to replace the thermostat housing or EGR cooler. More VAG witchcraft.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
My mechanic had to remove the fat (air intake?) hose to get to it. The bolt that holds it in the block also holds another bracket in place, so it's a real faff to get out. He said it was a real b@ll ache.

Just pray you never have to replace the thermostat housing or EGR cooler. More VAG witchcraft.
Aye it seems a real faff. To be fair after doing the MAF and an oil service(first time doing it myself) the car is running great. Time to sell it I think while I've got it running good. Just had enough now. Will miss it but not too much.

caldi

Mar 9, 2015
Aye it seems a real faff. To be fair after doing the MAF and an oil service(first time doing it myself) the car is running great. Time to sell it I think while I've got it running good. Just had enough now. Will miss it but not too much.
Probably water getting into the control modules as so many faults showing

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members