Coolant Sensor

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Looks like I have a faulty coolant sensor, maf sensor and gearbox selector switch. The gearbox selector switch was meant to be fixed 6 months ago by the dealer but error is back. Anyway I'm just going to fix these errors myself.

So my question is where is my coolant sensor location? I have a 2015 Leon Fr 2.0 diesel.

Thanks

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Coolant level sensor or temp sensor ?
The level sensor is in the header tank.

The engine temp sensor is near the vac pump
1683546805822.png

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Coolant level sensor or temp sensor ?
The level sensor is in the header tank.

The engine temp sensor is near the vac pump
View attachment 36665
The temp sensor. Cheers mate, looks a tight space but should manage it. Much appreciated. This car has been a nightmare. Thought my issues were solved but they've came back again. Car goes into limp mode and traction control, tyre pressure, start stop and parking sensor lights all come on.

Checked wheel sensors all ok. Had new camshaft and crankshaft sensors fitted. Supposedly gearbox selector switch changed which I doubt as getting gear selector error.

Anyway I'll keep working on it and hopefully get it all sorted. Strange how any garage I put it into can't find anything with a diagnosis.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
If all those sensors are close too each other, do they share a common ground point?
Not sure, my knowledge is limited to be honest. Just learning as I go lol. I really need to invest in vcds. Got carista but don't think it's up to much.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Not sure, my knowledge is limited to be honest. Just learning as I go lol. I really need to invest in vcds. Got carista but don't think it's up to much.
Yeah i'm not sure of the layout of the mk3, i'm a mk1 guy, but if you have repeated and intermittant faults with the same sensors, then it's likely they could all share a common power feed, or a common ground. Have a look in the area for any wires bolted directly into the body work. They will be your engine grounds. Can be worth taking them off and cleaning both parts of the connection with a wire brush.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Yeah i'm not sure of the layout of the mk3, i'm a mk1 guy, but if you have repeated and intermittant faults with the same sensors, then it's likely they could all share a common power feed, or a common ground. Have a look in the area for any wires bolted directly into the body work. They will be your engine grounds. Can be worth taking them off and cleaning both parts of the connection with a wire brush.
Brilliant info mate cheers. Will have a look when it stops raining 👍

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The temp sensor. Cheers mate, looks a tight space but should manage it. Much appreciated. This car has been a nightmare. Thought my issues were solved but they've came back again. Car goes into limp mode and traction control, tyre pressure, start stop and parking sensor lights all come on.
Have you had the battery checked ?
These cars have a habbit of throwing many errors if the battery is on the way out.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Have you had the battery checked ?
These cars have a habbit of throwing many errors if the battery is on the way out.
I was thinking about the battery. I've checked the voltage when the car has been on and off and it's fine. When I've checked the charge level through my obd and an app my battery is about 64 percent capacity but does charge up when running to over 80 percent.

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
With regards to my battery, it's still the original one in the car which is a 15 plate and has done 85k so maybe time for a new battery.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I was thinking about the battery. I've checked the voltage when the car has been on and off and it's fine. When I've checked the charge level through my obd and an app my battery is about 64 percent capacity but does charge up when running to over 80 percent.
Does your stop/start still work regularly?
If the battery is tired the stop/start won't activate very often (obviously not counting DPF regen which would also prevent an engine shut down)
I would say its unlikely you have 3x failed sensors at the same time!

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Does your stop/start still work regularly?
If the battery is tired the stop/start won't activate very often (obviously not counting DPF regen which would also prevent an engine shut down)
I would say its unlikely you have 3x failed sensors at the same time!
My stop/start is always turned off so I couldn't tell you. A new battery can't do any harm and my current one is nearly 8 years old so I think I'll go down that route first

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Here is my latest scan:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
Version: 1.98.6/400986/GP
DTC report
Connection profile: Seat OBD-II / EOBD Diesel DPF var.1Date: 5/9/2023 10:50:21 PM
============================
OBD-II
No DTC found.
19. CAN Gateway
No DTC found.
09. Onboard supply control unit09. Onboard supply control unit
DTCs: 2
----------------------------
00522 [0x00020A]
B11FF15: Footwell lighting, Open circuit/short circuit to B
Fußraumbeleuchtung-Unterbrechung / Kurzschluß nach Plus
Status bits: 1
Priority: 6
Frequency: 6
Unlearning index: 237
Odometer: 136106 km
Date, time: 2023.05.02 19:25:31
00531 [0x000213] Archive (inactive)
B11FF01: Footwell lighting, Electrical error
Fußraumbeleuchtung-Teilausfall
Frequency: 5
Unlearning index: 22
Odometer: 136106 km
Date, time: 2023.05.04 20:25:57
02. Transmission control unit02. Transmission control unit
DTCs: 1
10763 [0x002A0B]
P173400: Starter release from the selector lever sensor system
01. Engine control unit
No DTC found.
04. Power steering
No DTC found.
08. Heater and climate
No DTC found.
10. Parking Assistant 2
No DTC found.
15. SRS
No DTC found.
16. Steering column
No DTC found.
17. Dashboard
No DTC found.
42. Driver door electronic equipment
No DTC found.
44. Power steering
No DTC found.
52. Front passenger door electronics
No DTC found.
55. Headlights corrector
No DTC found.
5F. Electronic Information System 15F. Electronic Information System 1
DTCs: 1
02571 [0x000A0B] Archive (inactive)
B126CF2: Navigation system, Navigation database not enabled
Active navigation database not enabled
Frequency: 2
Unlearning index: 22
Odometer: 136189 km
Date, time: 2023.05.09 21:51:55
Paramteric values: 02 86 7A
76. Parking assistant
No DTC found.

I'm sure the footwell lighting errors are Coolant sensor and MAF.

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to get this car fixed so I can enjoy it again. Cheers.

Last edited:

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
My last post is not showing, awaiting moderator approval apparently. I posted the result of my latest scan.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what sensor this is:

Attachments

• received_1675097106249958.jpeg
    received_1675097106249958.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 223

Alex1888

Oct 26, 2020
Why do you think a footwell lighting error code is actually a coolant sensor and MAF fault?
When I google the error code I get and when I use the carista app it gives me coolant sensor and MAF plus my footwell lights work fine.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.