Costly broken ST parcel shelf pins

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Update:

I fired off a letter and mail to Seat UK costumer care and got a call from them this morning. The guy more or less went over everything I said in my original mail and asked me to send him pictures that he could pass on to the their tech bods.

When sending the pictures I also pointed out that this is likely to be common issue in the years to come and expecting people to replace the entire parcel shelf assembly to rectify it is not an option.

Incidentally, so far the cost of casting these parts in aluminium is looking prohibitively high. The cost of each part is not too bad but the set-up costs are close to a grand. I'm going to try some other places though.

Blakeney

Nov 20, 2014
A few of us have had a problem with this unit - I don't think the robot could have done a stress test on it and pulled it back and forth 100,000 times. Our issue was with the retaining catch in the housing that holds the shelf when it is fully pulled out, rather than the fixings on the shelf itself.
I got an initial rebuff but my gentle insistence was duly, and fairly, acknowledged by the dealer who did a first-class job of fixing it under warranty.
Enter 'retractable shelf' in the search box and you will find the thread.

ST FR 11/14 1.4ACT

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yeah, I told the guy the whole system was too complicated and not strong enough. In fact here's the wording of my second mail to Seat UK:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Thanks for the call this morning. Please find the pictures you asked for below. The first picture shows the peg in situ, the second has the broken part sat in original position so that you can see what the peg looks like. As you can see, it's a very simple part that just pulls out of the parcel shelf stiffening bar. If it was available as a spare part it would take seconds to replace.

There are two issues at work here, the weakness if this part and the weakness of the retaining spring clips in the load-bay side panels. Looking at the load-bay clips it does not look like the clips themselves have broken, rather that they have come loose from the panel. Overall, I think a simpler, more robust system would have been better.

In the short term, I think the most immediate issue is getting these plastic pegs supplied as a separate part. I have already heard from a couple of other owners who have broken these pegs and, considering how early in the Mk3 ST's life-cycle it is, I suspect it's going to be a common problem for years to come. Replacing the whole shelf assembly every time a peg breaks simply isn't an option here.

Longer term I think it would be a good idea to strengthen the part. All areas of the part are hollowed out, including the underside of the end piece which has snapped, and I think it has weakened the part too much. Even if it were solid I still think it would be too weak, the end pin is just too thin, but any strengthening would be welcome.

I have not seen how the spring clips are attached to the rear of the load-bay panels but clearly, there is a weakness there. Sandy at Livingston Seat told me that these clips used to be part of the panel and they have been made a separate part to reduce the cost of replacement. He also gave the impression that the failure of the clips on the Mk3 ST was a common occurrence. As soon as I said the shelf was sticking he knew exactly what the cause would be.

Like I say, I have not seen how the spring-clips are attached but it obviously isn't strongly enough.

In the longer term, a simpler system would be a lot better. A simple bar in the shelf that hooked onto 'Shepard-crook' style cups in the end of the runners would work fine and be much more robust. Having lots of clever features in a car is impressive in the showroom but if owners end up getting a lot of aggravation from them it's costly for you and puts buyers off the brand. It doesn't bode well that this sort of failure, the load-bay spring-clips, has occurred in a car that had only done 3'950 miles."
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I'm looking for the pegs and spring clips fixed but I'm concerned about what will happen years down the line. These crappy little clips are just going to keep breaking. I'm going to try and figure out a better solution than just replacing one set of crap parts with identical crap parts.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Update on this situation. Seat UK phoned and said that as a goodwill gesture they had authorised a new parcel shelf for me! I drove over to the dealers this morning and collected it.

Points worth noting:

Firstly, if you write them the right sort of letter you can get Seat UK to sort this. There was no arguing over multiple mails, they just made the offer, so if you are in a similar situation do talk to them.

Secondly, they described it as a 'goodwill gesture'. In other words, they have not admitted that it is a warranty issue, although I beleive it is. The service manager said that he is surprised they did it but I've read the warranty info and I don't see anything that would exclude a failure like this. They clearly don't want to admit it's a warranty problem though so don't expect a dealer to cave straight away. It is going to take pressure on Seat UK themselves.

The fact that they've replaced the whole shelf strongly suggests that Seat UK cannot get the pegs individually! Which is a bit worrying. Unless that situation changes we'll still be in trouble if they break again in a few years, when you've got no chance of being handed a free shelf. Hopefully they will source the pegs in the future, how hard can it be, but I reckon an alternative fix might be worth pursuing. I have ideas on that score which I'll post up is I get anywhere with them.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Update on this situation. Seat UK phoned and said that as a goodwill gesture they had authorised a new parcel shelf for me! I drove over to the dealers this morning and collected it.

Points worth noting:

Firstly, if you write them the right sort of letter you can get Seat UK to sort this. There was no arguing over multiple mails, they just made the offer, so if you are in a similar situation do talk to them.

Secondly, they described it as a 'goodwill gesture'. In other words, they have not admitted that it is a warranty issue, although I beleive it is. The service manager said that he is surprised they did it but I've read the warranty info and I don't see anything that would exclude a failure like this. They clearly don't want to admit it's a warranty problem though so don't expect a dealer to cave straight away. It is going to take pressure on Seat UK themselves.

The fact that they've replaced the whole shelf strongly suggests that Seat UK cannot get the pegs individually! Which is a bit worrying. Unless that situation changes we'll still be in trouble if they break again in a few years, when you've got no chance of being handed a free shelf. Hopefully they will source the pegs in the future, how hard can it be, but I reckon an alternative fix might be worth pursuing. I have ideas on that score which I'll post up is I get anywhere with them.

Good result! Be interesting to see if the new shelf is any different to to your old one.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Good result! Be interesting to see if the new shelf is any different to to your old one.

No. It's exactly the same. Which means it would be just as easy to break.

Remember to keep an eye on the spring clips that hold the shelf back in the extended position. They can move out of position and the little clips that hold them in place can break. I bought two today so that I have them when they break. They cost about £8 for the two so why not. They should also be very easy to fit.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Got a courtesy call from Seat UK yesterday asking if everything was sorted out and if I was happy with the service given. Guy said that al of my mails have been passed on to technical for them to think about and now that I have the contact details just to get back onto them if I have any more problems.

Good stuff. I do get the impression they are making an effort here. Hopefully their customer care and ratings will go up. I certainly can't complain at all about the way they've dealt with me.

stephen77

Dec 11, 2018
I've asked other half, she's 99% certain it was emailed to Seat customer services. It was back in 2011 though, so not sure about now. She is going to have a look to see if she's still got any more details, if so I'll PM you.
Tbh not only would I email customer services I'd send a hard copy to Seat UK at Milton Keynes. Best of luck!
Hi Kazand
I have this exact same issue now, I don't suppose you still have the direct (if it exists) email in your sent PM's ? I'm in a 2017 leon st so it should be under warranty

thanks

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm in a 2017 leon st so it should be under warranty

Take it to your dealer, or the nearest Seat dealer if you bought the car outside of the francised network. That's your first port of call. Be interesting to see if they supply the pegs now!...

Apr 8, 2019
I have had a batch of these made at a considerable cost for both sides. Modified design - Solid plastic, not hollow - looks identical (bar not quite as long that goes inside the shelf, but end clip, which is what you see is identical). Just seen an original used one on ebay for £33.50 inc postage. I'll do for similar price, and will be brand new, more solid, and not used :)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
This is very exciting! Do you have pictures? Are you planning on selling them on eBay?

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Hi,

I had this on the ST, left, 12v power connector side.
When it went I head it drop behind the trim.
Just removed the trim (storage compartment mounting) to retrieve and re-slot back in.
If you have a broke one these are they (part no. 3AF867825) ~£5 at the moment and just slot in:
https://www.seatpartsshop.co.uk/products/seat-leon-st-parcel-shelf-lock

To remove the trim I had to remove the rear bench seat and the C pillar trim, all outlined in the Seat Leon Workshop Manual, Bodywork - Interior fitting work, section 6.14 page 271. You can download all the manuals off of this existing thread:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/leon-mk3-official-seat-workshop-manuals-link.442353/

Only tools were torx bits for the screwdriver, plastic trim removal set and a head torch, patience and follow the order in the manual including the prerequisite links....bench seat, C pillar, then finally the bit you need off, the storage compartment mounting.
I didn't need to loosen the seat belt anchor, or remove the luggage compartment lock (other than the torx screw behind the lever), the trim comes away with plenty of room to get down to where the clip had landed.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I had this on the ST, left, 12v power connector side.

Hi, that's a different part. That's the clips that hold the shelf in place. I've replaced those too. The bit that snaps is the peg that fits into the steel bar on the parcel shelf itself.

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Sorry, this was meant to be in reply to post #1, but I maybe misread that one as well.
Ah, that was you as well....yeah, different problem entirely

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.