Costly broken ST parcel shelf pins

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Usual stuff, a tiny but of plastic snaps and they want you to spend hundreds on the whole assembly.

The parcel shelf on the ST pulls back and clips into place. To release it again you press the back end of the shelf down, it makes and clicking sound and is free to slide forward. Our shelf has been temperamental, sometimes it doesn't want to release. On Saturday morning I pressed it down a bit harder, trying to get it to release, and with a bang the plastic pins that engage in the slots in the boot trim snapped.

picture.php

These are small pieces of plastic that just pop into the ends of the metal tube that stiffens the shelf. The Seat solution? Buy an entire new parcel shelf assembly! Used ones cost about £100 on eBay, I haven't priced a new one yet but It'll be a LOT more than £100 I'm sure. I spoke to both the parts guy and the service manager and neither of them could offer another solution. The parts are not listed separately.

picture.php

So I'm looking at £100 at the very least to replace two small plastic pins. Epic. The guys at the dealership are looking into it but they didn't sound hopeful.

Warranty doesn't cover things like this, I feel it should. I didn't press the shelf that hard. My opinion is that the pins snapped because they're too thin and hollowed out, simply not strong enough for the job. Also, the reason the shelf was sticking is that the plastic springs that hold the shelf extended are breaking free. This is a very common fault apparently so if your shelf is playing up look at those. The plastic springs should be parallel to the shelf. If they sag into the recess or are loose at all they are on the way out.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I saw the parts diagram at the dealers. There is no part number as it is not listed as a separate part. We looked at the shelf and couldn't find the manufacturer either although it is from Czechoslovakia.

If I can't find new parts I'm planning on trying to repair these ones or replicate them somehow. Should be fun...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I saw the parts diagram at the dealers. There is no part number as it is not listed as a separate part. We looked at the shelf and couldn't find the manufacturer either although it is from Czechoslovakia.

If I can't find new parts I'm planning on trying to repair these ones or replicate them somehow. Should be fun...

David has worked wonders before despite what the parts diagram has shown.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Personally All i'd do in this situation is run a tack of plastic weld on the back side in between the crack let it harden and sand it back then scuff the rear of the plastic and add a piece of supporting plastic rectangle shape going across both pieces to reinforce it and then weld that onto the piece. wont look perfect but I would never pay £100 for a piece of plastic :p

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
Surely it's still under warranty? From your description, the system (roller cover plus guides) wasn't working properly, and this would require attention under the warranty..

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Surely it's still under warranty? From your description, the system (roller cover plus guides) wasn't working properly, and this would require attention under the warranty..

I agree. Had a problem with a broken parcel shelf bracket in previous FR, initially the dealer said it wouldn't be covered under warranty, but after my other half mentioned it at work one of the legal bods offered to draft a letter, said letter sent to Seat UK, and suddenly it WAS under warranty.
In your case it appears that this is not fit for purpose. I'd contact Citizens Advice.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I feel it should be a warranty issue too. In my opinion, neither the plastic springs in the boot lining or the pegs in the shelf are fit for purpose. They are both too flimsy. It's not like it's a high-mileage car so it doesn't bode well for long-term reliability. Both of these parts have failed when the car has only covered about 5K miles!

I'm not surprised that the pegs broke. They have hollowed them out almost completely. That's why fixing them will be very difficult, you have very little area to work with and the stepped shape doesn't help. I've fixed a lot of stuff and this is not an easy one. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting them cast in aluminium for a permanent fix.

I'm going to wait to see what the dealer says, which will be nothing much, then I'll contact Seat UK. Kazand, do you have the address you wrote to? It was obviously the correct one.

Thanks everyone for the advice :0)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I feel it should be a warranty issue too. In my opinion, neither the plastic springs in the boot lining or the pegs in the shelf are fit for purpose. They are both too flimsy. It's not like it's a high-mileage car so it doesn't bode well for long-term reliability. Both of these parts have failed when the car has only covered about 5K miles!

I'm not surprised that the pegs broke. They have hollowed them out almost completely. That's why fixing them will be very difficult, you have very little area to work with and the stepped shape doesn't help. I've fixed a lot of stuff and this is not an easy one. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting them cast in aluminium for a permanent fix.

I'm going to wait to see what the dealer says, which will be nothing much, then I'll contact Seat UK. Kazand, do you have the address you wrote to? It was obviously the correct one.

Thanks everyone for the advice :0)
I've asked other half, she's 99% certain it was emailed to Seat customer services. It was back in 2011 though, so not sure about now. She is going to have a look to see if she's still got any more details, if so I'll PM you.
Tbh not only would I email customer services I'd send a hard copy to Seat UK at Milton Keynes. Best of luck!

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
My approach would be to report it to the dealer as a break when you tried to retract the blind and please will they fix it.....both the roller blind and the sticky mechanism. I would approach it that it's a warranty issue. If they disagree and the car is less than 6 months old, they have prove that it was not an inherant defect. This assumes you can it should go back to the supplying dealer and the proff is a Sale of Goods Act provision and not a feature of Seat warranty. You should only involve Seat if the dealer is uncooperative. Your contract is with the dealer, not with Seat.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I live just outside Glasgow but bought the car from Listers Seat in Coventry as they offered me the best deal. So realistically, I can't take it to the dealer I bought it from, I need to use the local one.

I don't want to get heavy with the dealer if I don't have to. I find keeping them on side if possible works best. It's not up to them what they will and won't warranty so if they can't find the individual parts I'll go straight to Seat UK.

I've read the warranty info and there is no mention of parts like this not being covered.

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
You're right. You have to rely on the Seat warranty in your situation and as always, polite but firm is the best approach

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
like the idea of an alloy casting.
bet you'd sell a few!

So do I!

The problem is that it's the clips in the sides of the boot that will go all the time. These pegs only snapped because I forced it.

Nevertheless, I think I'll try and find a local foundry and ask the question. If I can get them made cheaply enough it's a good idea. At least it would let you forget about one half of the equation.

NBSmith78

Sep 20, 2004
Cambridge
Another option would be to get replacements 3D printed using a service like Shapeways.

You'd need to take some very precise measurements of the part with a set of vernier calipers, then make a 3D model for printing.

I've no idea what the strength would be like, but it would be interesting to find out! If anyone wants me to make the 3D model I'll do it if you can provide accurate dimensions and/or a sample broken part. I could upload it to Shapeways for printing.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I reckon you could 3D print them. Although it's not obvious, the parts are almost totally hollow. Provided they were printed in a strong enough plastic I think the new part would probably be stronger? I don't know.

The part would be a pain to measure. I only have my two broken ones which I might need to use for casting. I'll need to wait and see.

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
I live just outside Glasgow but bought the car from Listers Seat in Coventry as they offered me the best deal. So realistically, I can't take it to the dealer I bought it from, I need to use the local one.

I don't want to get heavy with the dealer if I don't have to. I find keeping them on side if possible works best. It's not up to them what they will and won't warranty so if they can't find the individual parts I'll go straight to Seat UK.

I've read the warranty info and there is no mention of parts like this not being covered.

You would be wasting your time taking it back to Seat Coventry anyway. After the inevitable two visits, they would just feed you the 'it's a characteristic sir' line and expect you to swallow it.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
You would be wasting your time taking it back to Seat Coventry anyway. After the inevitable two visits, they would just feed you the 'it's a characteristic sir' line and expect you to swallow it.

+1!

Seat Coventry has been consistently poor any time I've had the misfortune to deal with them.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.