Cupra Formentor - Hybrid

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Hello!

The first month of owning the car was not very pleasant. So, I bought a Formentor that is only 1.5 years old.
After 2 weeks of using the car, we went on a mini vacation and left the car for 3 days. When we returned, the 12V battery was completely dead.

I contacted the dealer and they took the car in for repair. It turned out that periodically some function in the standby mode does not turn off in the car and consumes the battery. They didn't find the problem, charged my battery and sent me home. They said i need to wait for a response to the request that they sent to Cupra.

A few days later, my battery is empty again. Now the car is in the garage again and today I could not go anywhere. And according to the dealer, a response from Cupra may take a long time.

How can this be and what can be done in this situation? I don't want to send my car on a tow truck every time to charge the battery at the dealer for a couple of days.

I am sorry for my English.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
That's a real pain!
Could you connect it to a smart charger such as CTek temporarily whilst you're waiting for Cupra to come up with a permanent fix?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I've just noticed you've posted in the Hybrid section, yet you say your car is a 1.5?
1.4 ICE in the Hybrid model.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I've just noticed you've posted in the Hybrid section, yet you say your car is a 1.5?
1.4 ICE in the Hybrid model.
1.5 years old 😅 In any case, yes, my car is with a 1.4 engine :)

When the battery dies, I can't even open the hybrid's charging lid. In any case, the dealer said that the 12v battery is charged when the petrol engine is running. 😩

I don't even know what to do and how to speed up the solution of this problem. I did not expect such a service from a new car for such a lot of money.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
1.5 years old 😅 In any case, yes, my car is with a 1.4 engine :)

When the battery dies, I can't even open the hybrid's charging lid. In any case, the dealer said that the 12v battery is charged when the petrol engine is running. 😩

I don't even know what to do and how to speed up the solution of this problem. I did not expect such a service from a new car for such a lot of money.
🤣 oh, how stupid of me 🙄

Mine's hybrid too. So the 12v battery doesn't get any power at all when charging the 48v batteries then?
Doesn't seem to make sense that!
Any option for the dealers to provide another car whilst they sort yours?

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
🤣 oh, how stupid of me 🙄

Mine's hybrid too. So the 12v battery doesn't get any power at all when charging the 48v batteries then?
Doesn't seem to make sense that!
Any option for the dealers to provide another car whilst they sort yours?
This happened for the second time. The first time my car was taken away on a tow truck and they gave me another car instead.
Now I can do the same. However, the nearest service center is 60 km from me, they will pick up my car, just charge it and I will have to go to pick it up again.
I think I can only ride it for a few days again and think about the battery all the time. then he sits down again and so on ad infinitum.
I don't have that much time to just drive around and make phone calls to charge my car.

As far as I understand, it will not work to charge a 12v battery from a hybrid charging outlet. I could try, but is there a way to manually open the charging hatch?

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I can imagine it is very frustrating. On my previous outlander it would charge the system battery from the main battery over night if it noticed it getting low. You have a huge battery storage so it makes sense. And you can't do anything with car without system battery of course.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I can imagine it is very frustrating. On my previous outlander it would charge the system battery from the main battery over night if it noticed it getting low. You have a huge battery storage so it makes sense. And you can't do anything with car without system battery of course.
I know for sure that my second battery (hybrid battery) is charged even now at about 85%, but this is of no use. And this is very strange on the part of Cupra. Why in such situations the car is not able to take power for the car from the second battery 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: oldgitdave

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Perhaps it saves on cost for an inverter and battery charger. Though not technical enough to know if car has this already and it's an oversight to perform this function

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
That's a real pain!
Could you connect it to a smart charger such as CTek temporarily whilst you're waiting for Cupra to come up with a permanent fix?
I went to my car and tried the hybrid charging door, it was open! I connected the charger but nothing happens, the car can't even recognize that the charger is connected to it. In the end, it doesn't make any sense either.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I went to my car and tried the hybrid charging door, it was open! I connected the charger but nothing happens, the car can't even recognize that the charger is connected to it. In the end, it doesn't make any sense either.
Very strange indeed! So, you can't start the car and the hybrid batteries won't charge. How ridiculous is that!

When I talked about charging, I meant the 12v battery in the boot. Can you connect a smart charger to it to enable you to start the car? Don't use a booster though as it may damage the electronics. A Ctek MSX3.8 or MSX5 should be fine. Leave it connected overnight should get you started in the morning.

To be honest though as it seems you've only had the car a few weeks at most, I'd reject it and ask for money back from the dealer. Or at the very least they need to fix it and supply you with a courtesy car in the meantime.

Reactions: martin j.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Very strange indeed! So, you can't start the car and the hybrid batteries won't charge. How ridiculous is that!

When I talked about charging, I meant the 12v battery in the boot. Can you connect a smart charger to it to enable you to start the car? Don't use a booster though as it may damage the electronics. A Ctek MSX3.8 or MSX5 should be fine. Leave it connected overnight should get you started in the morning.

To be honest though as it seems you've only had the car a few weeks at most, I'd reject it and ask for money back from the dealer. Or at the very least they need to fix it and supply you with a courtesy car in the meantime.
I bought this car used in a car shop. More than a month has passed since the purchase. The dealer is not refusing to repair it but at the moment they don't know what exactly they need to do, so they sent a request and are waiting for a response. I asked them how long to wait for a response - they said that during the summer holidays, it might take longer. They didn't give any deadlines. And I don't know where else can I turn for help, except for the official dealer of Cupra?!

Under the hood there are special places to connect an external battery and start the car. This was done the last time my battery was dead. But I wouldn't want to go out and do anything myself to protect myself from losing my warranty.

Are there any e-mail addresses, for example, for contacting Cupra, in order to somehow expedite the resolution of the problem?

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
No ties to Cupra can be established. I take the car to the dealer again for charging and get a temporary car. When they started the car, I managed to see the version of my software, why such a strange number?

Attachments

• IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    536.8 KB · Views: 94

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hi, that software A896 is an OTA (over the air) update that came out last year. I had 1896 installed by the dealer last year in May. A896 & 1886 are basically the same. I think Cupra stopped pushing the large OTA updates due to problems.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Hi, that software A896 is an OTA (over the air) update that came out last year. I had 1896 installed by the dealer last year in May. A896 & 1886 are basically the same. I think Cupra stopped pushing the large OTA updates due to problems.
The dealer said they don't see any new updates for my car. The only thing I can try when I pick up the car is to check if there are OTA updates. 🤷‍♂️

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
The dealer said they don't see any new updates for my car. The only thing I can try when I pick up the car is to check if there are OTA updates. 🤷‍♂️
Sounds like you're being told some untrue info, unless things are different in your country 🤔.
After 1896 (A896) there is 1899 (not available OTA). Then the big fix is 1940.
In the UK this is available to all Formentor models.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I'm not surprised by this 😩 She looked at my car data in her computer and said that there were no available updates or update announcements 😩
How to prove that there are updates or make them look more closely, I don’t know. Are there official announcements from Cupra at all so that I can give them a link to the material?!

And back to my main problem, an empty battery. According to my observations, the problem appeared after I took the car to the dealer to install a critical update - “27J8 crit. C1” - It just had to do with the 12v battery and some kind of “gateway”.
I did not find any detailed information about this update? Maybe someone here knows?

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Mine went in for its two year service on Friday and I was told that a bms update was installed at the same time due to some cars suffering from 12v battery issues (mine has been fine)

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
So, my car has been in the service center for a week now.
They reported that the 12v battery was bad, they replaced it, but they still haven't figured out what's draining the battery. They suspect some kind of malfunction in Infotainment system.