Cupra Formentor - Hybrid

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
So, my car has been in the service center for a week now.
They reported that the 12v battery was bad, they replaced it, but they still haven't figured out what's draining the battery. They suspect some kind of malfunction in Infotainment system.
Let's hope they get it sorted for you. Keep us updated (y).

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If they have replaced the 12v battery as it was bad there may not be a fault in the charging system As the battery was faulty? I’d be tempted to find a auto electrician and explain the problem and get them to check charging values and battery condition, it shouldn’t cost a lot and get you a definitive answer, I know a lot of mechanics but they aren’t all good on the electrical side with diagnosis.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I took my car.
As a result, they did not find any problem other than a damaged 12v battery. First, they charged the old battery and it was confirmed that something was draining it in rest mode.
After that, they put in a new battery and took measurements every day for a week, periodically simulating the use of a car. For the whole week, the problem no longer manifested itself on the new battery and it did not discharge.
I told them that I can hardly believe that the problem went away by itself, if they did not repair anything except the battery.
However, there is nothing else they can do at this stage. something like this 🤷‍♂️

Is there anyone here who knows? Could the problem just be a bad battery?

Last edited:

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I took my car.
As a result, they did not find any problem other than a damaged 12v battery. First, they charged the old battery and it was confirmed that something was draining it in rest mode.
After that, they put in a new battery and took measurements every day for a week, periodically simulating the use of a car. For the whole week, the problem no longer manifested itself on the new battery and it did not discharge.
I told them that I can hardly believe that the problem went away by itself, if they did not repair anything except the battery.
However, there is nothing else they can do at this stage. something like this 🤷‍♂️

Is there anyone here who knows? Could the problem just be a bad battery?
It's got to be rare for a new(ish) 12v battery to fail but it can happen. Like anything else that's what warranties are for. Looks like you've been the unlucky one in this instance :(.

Just drive it and see how you go. Let's hope they've sorted it and you can go ahead and enjoy your Formentor (y).

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
I will soon be paranoid))
I turned off the car and turned off the ignition, then I closed myself inside the car and watched what was happening. Even with the car completely turned off and closed, the air continues to blow, I waited a long time but it never stopped blowing!

my second observation. If I open the car and sit down without turning on the ignition. Auto is infinitely activated and deactivated. I mean, I listen to how every minute something turns on there, the screen lights up and the letter “P” of the parking brake is displayed, the gearbox light also lights up and then everything goes out again and after 1-2 minutes everything repeats again. Like there are sensors in there?! Who also?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Yes, it does that. You can have certain things on with just being inside the car. Most things in the infotainment are not available without ignition but climate control, radio etc. are available. As you open the door to get out they will switch off. Sensors in the seat and maybe internal motion sensors I guess.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Yes, it does that. You can have certain things on with just being inside the car. Most things in the infotainment are not available without ignition but climate control, radio etc. are available. As you open the door to get out they will switch off. Sensors in the seat and maybe internal motion sensors I guess.
Ok, but how to explain the fact that the car is turned off blowing air in the cabin, even after the car is turned off and the doors are closed? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe even now, when I'm at home and the car is in the garage, the ventilation system can work there?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Ok, but how to explain the fact that the car is turned off blowing air in the cabin, even after the car is turned off and the doors are closed? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe even now, when I'm at home and the car is in the garage, the ventilation system can work there?
Well you said you were in the car. If you're not in the car and it's all locked up it shouldn't blow air. You can check the status of your car in the Cupra Connect app.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Maybe we are at crossed purposes here?

The app will (should) tell you if the aircon is on. Here are some screenshot of my app.

If you go out to the car in the garage you will definitely be able to hear if anything is running.

Screenshot_20230723_200052_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg Screenshot_20230723_200058_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg Screenshot_20230723_200309_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg Screenshot_20230723_200328_CUPRA CONNECT.jpg

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
You are talking about air conditioning, but there is another additional function -standing ventilation. I think that's what turns it on. I found some information in the manual.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
OK, but you originally said you had shut yourself in the car. Sensors can operate aircon etc as I suggested previously, you can if course override this.

Nothing in the car should self activate if it's locked with no one in it. All I can find is this:
Screenshot_20230723_204404_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
OK, but you originally said you had shut yourself in the car. Sensors can operate aircon etc as I suggested previously, you can if course override this.

Nothing in the car should self activate if it's locked with no one in it. All I can find is this:
View attachment 37607
Yes, I understand. I just thought if the service center did not solve my problem, maybe this could be the problem. Maybe I'm exaggerating and there's not even a problem 😅 Maybe it really was just a bad battery.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
:D I do hope it's definitely sorted for you and you can just get on and enjoy the car. I love my Hybrid and its definitely the best car I've owned (though my Z4 3.0 convertible was my real favourite :love:, just not practical).
Anyway, these cars do make some noises when locking/unlocking/charging etc. compared with non Hybrids. I've gotten used to it and have had no 12v issues even when the car has been parked up for a couple of weeks.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Yes, I also really like this car.
But because of this problem, the enjoyment of the new car is a little spoiled. Because of this problem, I began to constantly think about the battery, although I had never thought about it before.

Perhaps I would be more calm if the service center gave me a clear and reasonable explanation of the problem and convinced me that this would not happen again.

But there they just told me assumptions and I had a feeling that they were just hoping that the problem was only in the battery and I would not disturb them again.

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Well time will tell, let's hope its been fixed (y).
I put the car on charge and closed it, the orange triangle on the dashboard glows constantly. This is fine? I don't think I noticed it before. Did you pay attention when you charged your car?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I put the car on charge and closed it, the orange triangle on the dashboard glows constantly. This is fine? I don't think I noticed it before. Did you pay attention when you charged your car?
Hi, yes that's all perfectly fine, exactly what is should do (y) .

elzo

Jul 1, 2023
Hi, yes that's all perfectly fine, exactly what is should do (y) .
I found a discussion of this topic on this forum. It is strange why these signs are needed if there is no one in the car.

I still have an orange light on the ceiling of the car with a painted car and an OFF inscription. The manual says it's off, but mine is on. Is it really a glitch of the car due to the fact that the charging hatch is open.
IMG_2763.jpeg

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I found a discussion of this topic on this forum. It is strange why these signs are needed if there is no one in the car.

I still have an orange light on the ceiling of the car with a painted car and an OFF inscription. The manual says it's off, but mine is on. Is it really a glitch of the car due to the fact that the charging hatch is open. View attachment 37608
You mean this right?
20230724_154431.jpg
That means the interior lights have been switched off manually. Press it and if the car door is open the interior lights will come on and the orange car light will go out. Press it again and the interior lights should go out and the orange car and OFF will light up orange.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members