Dajmin's Mk1 Leon 110 TDI

Dajmin

Picked up a couple of days ago, totally unmodified. 101k miles.
I only passed my test in January and we're currently a bit skint so any potential mods will need to wait. Spent the last 10 months in a revvy little 1.5 petrol so the lack of immediate response in the diesel is odd!

2002_seat_leon_front01.jpg

Absolutely beautiful interior, looks brand new. Feels like sitting in an SUV compared to the really low slung Mazda 323F (here for anyone interested), but it needed to go. Clearly only done motorway miles and I don't think the rear seats have ever been used. Got about 1200 miles to do in the next few weeks between London and the Cotswolds while we finish the 2nd half of the album, so that'll put it through it's paces :)

Has a little blemish on the front of the bonnet where the paint is bubbling - any suggestions on how best to get rid of that would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dajmin

Did my first 220 mile round trip in the Leon (now named Natalie) and really pleased with the comfort and the power. I love my 323F but it's the bottom-spec model and has seats that really weren't designed for distance runs. Six years newer and mid-range (she's an SE) feels like absolute luxury by comparison!

And even better is that after almost 400 miles I've still got over 1/3 of a tank of fuel left :)

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
good looking motor, the leon's are great for the motorway i think as i did a round trip to northwich last saturdy and it just cruised nicely

Dajmin

Cheers, she is pretty. It's like sitting in an SUV compared the ride height of the 323F, but feels very chunky and safe.

I just realised I have no idea what size tyres she uses though. I'm assuming the rims are 16", but what about width and profile? My guess is 205 50 16 - about right? Is there anywhere I can look it up?

Dajmin

The only time I ever think about it is when I'm at work and the car is on my drive. I guess it'd make sense to check the sidewall at some point :)
I'll come to a meet eventually, although I'm really holding out for a trackday I can take her to. Never got the chance with the old car.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looks spotless, looks identical to my 110tdi I had 4 years ago. Kinda of miss it too tbh.

Dajmin

And after owning for just a couple of weeks, some utter motherf*cker went and keyed it. Offside rear door has a circle of scratches. Thankfully they look pretty light and don't have any texture to them so hopefully will buff or polish out. Slightly less noticable take on the nearside as well but that looks half-hearted in comparison but does go the full width of the door. B*stards!

You can punch a man in the face, you can break into his house and f*ck his wife but you do not mess with his automobile!

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Nice looking car mate!

Shame about the tool that keyed your car! There are some tw*ts out there!

Dajmin

Cheers guys. I thought at first it was just finger marks in the dirt (I've done a few hundred miles since I bought her) but on closer inspection it's definitely been something unfriendly. But at least it's not deep so shouldn't be too hard to cover up. I guess I'll be spending some time in the detailing section of the forum!

Braindeadhmster

Nice car mate. Sorry about the c**t who scratched it. Ask Jonjay about the scratches he an expert of sorts.

Dajmin

This car is turning into a complete disaster. Cost me £500 to get it through the MOT in January and coming back from a job interview today it felt like the turbo just died. Hardly any power above 2krpm. Seems to be fine again for now, but definitely can't afford to replace that if it goes.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
This car is turning into a complete disaster. Cost me £500 to get it through the MOT in January and coming back from a job interview today it felt like the turbo just died. Hardly any power above 2krpm. Seems to be fine again for now, but definitely can't afford to replace that if it goes.

:( sounds like the car wasn't properly looked after by the previous owner! Alwys hard to tell when buying used!

Dajmin

Long time no posts, but thankfully there's not been much to report. No mods other than aero wiper blades and a custom-built ashtray/iPhone holder conversion, but she's behaving. I was off the road for a while after what we thought was a seizure, but been given the all-clear so just waiting on the DVLA returning my license.

And today saw this:
105000_miles.jpg

Still having trouble cold starting, despite having 4 new glow plugs, but reading through this thread makes me think it could be the same problem. Can't be glow plugs, can't be starter motor or it'd do it all the time, only ever white smoke from the exhaust so I'm not worried about major engine failures. Just need to find the courage to take her to someone who knows how to fix it :)

Dajmin

Put her in for MOT on Saturday, and was a bit worried after the last time. Needed a new tyre (which I was expecting) and that was it. No advisories! Absolutely stoked.

Cold starting seems to be improving too, which is great news as well. I'm going to try sticking some kind of fuel additive in to see if that helps at all. If anyone has any suggestions for a decent system-cleaning diesel additive it'd be welcomed. I'm looking at Miller's right now since the reviews seem to be pretty good across the board.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
Millers is definitely the best diesel additive I reckon.

I had problems with cold starts, but an oil change and engine flush sorted this out and now runs like a dream and starts perfectly in the cold!

Dajmin

Finally swapped aerials. Got a genuine C2 one off eBay. Took a hell of a lot of pulling to get the old one off, but well worth it.

Before:
aerial_before.jpg

After:
aerial_after.jpg

Used a bit of the diesel additive and can't say I've noticed a massive change. Maybe a little better throttle response but still no real change on the cold starts. Then again, if it's never been done before I guess it might take a couple of tanks to clear up properly. But she's never outright failed to start, so that's good.