Engine Flush

Hey Folks, I was wondering if anyone has tried or can reccomend an engine flush product that can be used prior to oil change, I am shortly going to change my oil and thought it may be a good idea? Ive seen the Wynns product around but you never know about the authenticity of the benifits these products claim to deliver! Also has anyone used Castrols Edge 5w 30 on there LC 20V T? If so what do you think?:confused:

Jim

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't flush it. The only thing i'd do (if i was going to flush it) is pour some new clean oil through it prior to putting the sump bolt back in and refilling. I got warned by an old mechanic that flushing can remove deposits in the engine that actually help with compression and the tolerances the engine has worn to over the years. How true that is and whether the same applies to 'new' engines i don't know. Anyway i thought most modern oils had cleaning agents in them anyway so flushing isn't needed.

PlymLeon

thats the oil i always use and cant complain really apart from the price lol. its good stuff i dont know about engine flush tho last couple times i have done oil changes i found some cheaper oil which was left over from old car and just used that to get worst of oil out

Jun 1, 2007
flush is not for me what i do is drop the oil and leave the oil filter put fresh oil in run the car for 500 mile then change the oil and filter

Tyler Owen

What i do is drop the oil not change the filter refill with oil up to the minimum mark, run the engine till the oil gets nice and hot a short drive will be enough to get the temp up and come back drop the oil and replace the filter and refill to the max mark :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The problem with the engine flush is its almost impossible to get rid of the flushing fluid, SO your new oil has the engine flush innit aswell, nae good
See above for best practices, this is what I'm going to do this time serviced

Thanks for all your replies guys, I was a bit in two minds about a flush and you have confirmed my fears! New Oil (Castrol Edge 5w 30) and new filter it is! The amount and frequency i change my oil im effectivly flushing it anyways! I change roughly every couple of months or 1000 - 3000 miles depends! i have the facilities to do it with ease tho and it does no harm i want to keep it tip top and the cost of fifty quid (A night on the lash for some people!) every other month i see no big deal and it gives me piece of mind! Thanks Again!

Jim

Blelock

Aug 5, 2007
I will find out exactly why but it was something to do with some oil pipe blocking up

danregs

Leon Cupra 20VT
Oct 26, 2004
Exeter
www.bugproject.co.uk
I've always used Forte products. Not sure they are avilable off the shelf or not though? I get them from my mate's garage as he has a trade account with them.

Just flushed my engine before I did my oil change - always have flushed before a change, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what people's opinions are... and may change my habits!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.