Engine starts and revs fine, but wont idle - it just dies!!!!

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have a 2L 8V that has been getting progressively worse.
Historically, when you stopped driving and put the clutch down the revs would fall and it would nearly stall, dimming all the lights and cluster etc. (i say driving because it was always fine when stationary in neutral, blipping the throttle??!)
Now however, its become so bad that it wont idle unless you release the throttle SERIOUSLY slowly, even on idle. It will start, you have to catch the revs with the throttle it will rev nicely, then die if you try and make it idle.
I have checked the breather and crank pipes, they were full of mayo like stuff which i cleared
I have also cleaned the ICV with carb cleaner.

I am running out of things to try and my local garage has also failed... any ideas? Thanks guys

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
Hi Greg

Nice to see you back on the forum
Have you checked the breathers, throttle body, exhaust manifold etc
Ive had problems on tick over for all of these reasons on my ibiza's

Welcome back

Ollie

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Ollie! Sig still looks awesome, have your photoshopped the number plate recess? looks smooth as.

Back on topic... what am i checking for just leaks? if so i have tried that yeah :(

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Hi greg, check the throttle body for gunk/crap (plenty of threads here about it)
also, I found on mine that theres a little hose that comes off of the TB and joins into another slightly smaller (almost see through) hose,it had split quite badly, i replaced this with a section of new hose and a couple of small jubilee clips.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.