Essentials to going low on LCR?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Hi guys n gals

Can someone please give me a list of all the essentials I need to go low on 35mm coilovers? As in ARBs etc? Anything else required? Or to look out for? Done a search but want a definitive list so I can budget for everything :)

Any links and prices appreciated.

I'm a lowering newbie and really want my LCR down 30-35mm on coilies to get the meaner look I'm after with less bodyroll. Once that's done I can get my wheels powder coated and finish it off

BTW my LCR suspension setup is completely standard at the moment.

Cheers

swoosh225

Swoosh
Sep 17, 2007
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Depends on coilovers i think,not 100% sure though.Mine is lowered on jamex coilovers and the arb links bolts to the strut itself.As for the shorter links mine hasn't had them there is plenty off room between them and the drive shaft.My mates Mk4 golf used to catch the driveshafts.:shrug:
See what others say mate:confused:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Depends on coilovers i think,not 100% sure though.Mine is lowered on jamex coilovers and the arb links bolts to the strut itself.As for the shorter links mine hasn't had them there is plenty off room between them and the drive shaft.My mates Mk4 golf used to catch the driveshafts.:shrug:
See what others say mate:confused:

Hmm, fair play. Would have thought mk4 golf and lcr would have been same in terms of catching, maybe? :confused:

I'm a bit confuzzled really, but I just want it low and with no rubbing or problems!

Is yours a Platinum lcr on BBS CH's?! How low? Have u got close up pics of yours you could post up in this thread?

Looks sweet mate. I quite fancy some CH's 35mm down, but maybe get them done in a matt black finish? Might need a photoshop done of that tho on a platinum lcr side view (hint hint anyone willing.... ;) )

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
LCR has same front suspension setup as TT and S3 in that the ARB links directly to the strut and not the wishbone. This means that you can go low, while keeping good geometry, with no chance of the ARB catching the drive shaft. This catching occurs on golfs etc as the ARB links to the wishbones not the struts.

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
pic for your photoshop if it helps:

DSCF1076.jpg

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
LCR has same front suspension setup as TT and S3 in that the ARB links directly to the strut and not the wishbone. This means that you can go low, while keeping good geometry, with no chance of the ARB catching the drive shaft. This catching occurs on golfs etc as the ARB links to the wishbones not the struts.

Cheers for the pic mate - that does look the daddy. lovely car & readers ride may I add!

Ok cool, so front ARB is 100% needed right? What about rear? I really want to go low now after seeing yours Danny. Dark wheels is going to have to be done. This forum makes me skint :rolleyes:

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Cheers for the pic mate - that does look the daddy. lovely car & readers ride may I add!

Ok cool, so front ARB is 100% needed right? What about rear? I really want to go low now after seeing yours Danny. Dark wheels is going to have to be done. This forum makes me skint :rolleyes:

You have a front ARB as standard; it links directly to the struts with long drop links - you do not need to change anything about this when going low on coilovers, just ensure the coilies you buy are LCR specific so that they have the lugs on the struts to attach the ARB drop links. Rear ARB transforms the LCR, understeer can be vastly reduced and lift-off oversteer increased.. much more fun! :D

JCR280

Feb 13, 2010
Herne bay/KENT
Im running front and rear ARB's and a set of AP coilovers the difference is amazing compared to my mates old LCR that was runing standard.its down about 25/30mm looks perfect tho

Comfort is a little harsh over bumps but handles flat and is awesome!

J

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
You have a front ARB as standard; it links directly to the struts with long drop links - you do not need to change anything about this when going low on coilovers, just ensure the coilies you buy are LCR specific so that they have the lugs on the struts to attach the ARB drop links. Rear ARB transforms the LCR, understeer can be vastly reduced and lift-off oversteer increased.. much more fun! :D

Cheers for the info!

How much from rear ARB? And where's best? I really want the understeer reduced as much as poss.. Oh and lift-off oversteer - now we are talking, lol :)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Im running front and rear ARB's and a set of AP coilovers the difference is amazing compared to my mates old LCR that was runing standard.its down about 25/30mm looks perfect tho

Comfort is a little harsh over bumps but handles flat and is awesome!

J

Nice one mate. Thinking 30mm drop not much more...

How much your AP's and ARBs set u back?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Also remember when looking at the drop a set up will give you its based on the Poverty spec Leon.
The LCR is 26mm lower than this for a start so to get 35mm drop you'll need 60mm drop coilovers.

Also when you drop to this level on the LCR the way the geometry is set up the rear wheel pushes forward in the arch and looks a bit wrong

swoosh225

Swoosh
Sep 17, 2007
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Hmm, fair play. Would have thought mk4 golf and lcr would have been same in terms of catching, maybe? :confused:

I'm a bit confuzzled really, but I just want it low and with no rubbing or problems!

Is yours a Platinum lcr on BBS CH's?! How low? Have u got close up pics of yours you could post up in this thread?

Looks sweet mate. I quite fancy some CH's 35mm down, but maybe get them done in a matt black finish? Might need a photoshop done of that tho on a platinum lcr side view (hint hint anyone willing.... ;) )

Im not sure on actual figures on how low it is ive taken it up slightly,ill sort out some pictures for you though.
100_0093.jpg
[/IMG]
Ill get some more after work tomorow for you.:D

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Also remember when looking at the drop a set up will give you its based on the Poverty spec Leon.
The LCR is 26mm lower than this for a start so to get 35mm drop you'll need 60mm drop coilovers.

Also when you drop to this level on the LCR the way the geometry is set up the rear wheel pushes forward in the arch and looks a bit wrong

Ok cheers. And 60mm coilies are more ££££ than a 35mm option right?

Can anything be done about the rear wheel looking odd? I don't want it to look silly or way too low. DannyC87's looks spot on for what I'm after

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Im not sure on actual figures on how low it is ive taken it up slightly,ill sort out some pictures for you though.
100_0093.jpg
[/IMG]
Ill get some more after work tomorow for you.:D

Top pic, thanks buddy. Looks ace. Have u been tempted to get the BBS' done in a diff colour?

I'd prob be too scared! :rolleyes:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.