FR vs. Sport Discussion.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Just got an insurance quote for the FR, and its exactly the same price as the TFSI Sport :think:

Is this interesting or not?

Also why is the FR officially 1mpg better than the sport?

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Sorry I meant to say insurance quote!

I changed the thread title and forgot to add in in the post.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
When the FR arrives I'd like to know what the actual differences are, as listed in ETKA parts catalogue (apart from the cosmetic) It's becoming apparent that the Sport was a testbed for the FR, but what will the changes be in say the brake & suspension parts, or exhaust/ engine components.

Once it's released on ETKA we'll be able to see what the shared part numbers are.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Its interesting you mention the exhaust and suspension as they are the two compnents I have changed.
Apperently in the Seat PR the FR has a better exhaust with 'Seat Sound' system :D

Brakes should be the same, they are alredy hoooge!

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
I'd love to know what this "Seat Sound" thing is, as I read exactly the same thing. Apparently the LC and LCR have it as well. Do they mean they've designed the exhaust to make a specific sound? Or that all sporty SEATs sound the same? Or what?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I basically think they made the exhuast note a bit better than the pityful Sport one.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I don't know about you but my Sport has a distinct boom at around 1500 to 2500 revs...

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I cant remember, I changed mine to a Milltek cat-back, which has a nice sound all round.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Carl, Dan

Havent noticed the boom with mine, but i'll have a better listen on the way home tonight. Dan are you pleased with your Miltek? Always liked the look of Ansa systems myself. I have the same wheels as you infact my car is your double slightly off thread but do get a lot of understeer?

Rob

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Hi Rob,
I have the Milltek Cat-back exhaust. Also lowerd on Eibach springs, so mines very much unique :D

You cans see how muvh better the exhuast looks in this picture: http://www.gtc.org.uk/pics/bbt.jpg

Ps. I have the "non polished" 18's :D

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Looks good Dan, my wheels are the same as yours but polished. I have the original wheels and tyres at home as well. Yours looks better being that much lower, maybe thats why i'm having the understeer prob.

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
The "Seat Sound" is nothing new... they wrote exactly the same about the TFSI when it was launched!

From http://car.kak.net/Article4770.html

(You can find this text alot of other places too)

"The sportiness of the new León cannot just be felt, it can be heard too. The engine sound is an identifying feature of a model's sporty character. In the case of the new León, the exhaust sound has been entrusted to SEAT Sound, a system that blends a balanced sound at high engine speeds with a sonorous, sporty sound at low revs. The resulting acoustic sensation can be experienced both inside and outside the car. The perception of the sporty sound and engine power has been accentuated when: pulling away from standstill, manoeuvring at low speeds and accelerating or braking when fully laden at low rev speeds.

The level of exhaust sound amplification gradually reduces until it ceases altogether above 2,500 rpm, ensuring that it remains imperceptible to the vehicle's occupants at higher rev speeds and does not become an irritation on long journeys so that travel comfort is not impaired in any way."

Brakes are the same... 312mm in front, and 286mm back!

:)

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Rob, it's strange you're getting understeer, the Leon is probably the least understeering front wheel drive car I've owned, and I'd include my old Mk2 Golf GTI 16v which was a fantastic handling car.
It could be something to do with the tracking perhaps with your new wheels?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Talking to the dealer today he reckons its better ecomony on the FS as its a' more effectient engine' With a inlet/outlet manifold that is Different from the sport!

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
Talking to the dealer today he reckons its better ecomony on the FS as its a' more effectient engine' With a inlet/outlet manifold that is Different from the sport!

Hmm... why should they bother about a manifold, when they just have to change the engine programme a little bit to get the 200hp??? – I really want to see that before I believe it… :)

I think that the FR has slightly better economy because the engine “performs better” when it’s not “restrained” to 185hp instead of the 200hp it delivers in both the Golf V GTI, Octavia RS and in the Audi´s! - Think it’s all about computer programming! ;)

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Skinfakse said:
Hmm... why should they bother about a manifold, when they just have to change the engine programme a little bit to get the 200hp??? – I really want to see that before I believe it… :)

I think that the FR has slightly better economy because the engine “performs better” when it’s not “restrained” to 185hp instead of the 200hp it delivers in both the Golf V GTI, Octavia RS and in the Audi´s! - Think it’s all about computer programming! ;)

Could this have anything to do with it...

Another quote from SEAT ;)

" FSI, or Fuel Stratified Injection, is the state-of-the-art in fuel injection technology available on the New Leon's top petrol engine. It increases both torque and power while improving consumption (up to 15%) and reducing exhaust emissions.

As opposed to standard manifold injection systems, FSI engines inject fuel directly into the cylinder and use a specially shaped piston crown to concentrate the air/fuel mix below the sparkplug.
This produces optimal fuel combustion which, in turn, reduces heat loss and increases output while minimising fuel consumption and emissions
."

But the New FR is about 50 kilos heavier than the TFSI... so I wonder about thefuel economy....programming must be everything these days....

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
But the New FR is about 50 kilos heavier than the TFSI...

50 kilos??? - The TFSI is stated as weighing 1325kg and the FR TFSI as 1334kg… that’s only 9kg in difference! – Could easily be because of the different styling and wheels… ;)

Skinfakse

Mar 3, 2006
Denmark
Allright... :) - but it´s a bit different how they state the weight of the cars!

FR
Weight in running order min - max (kg) 1.334-1.418

From www.seat.com

TFSI
Weight in running order min - max (kg) 1.325- (I can´t see the "max" on the Danish website... and the TFSI is gone from most local websites! :whistle: )

But either way... the difference will still be only 9kg! ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members