FRONT BRAKE PAD HELP

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Hi everyone my light has come on, the wear indicator.

Can I ask how many miles do I have left before I have to change I.e damage caused to discs etc or is it already at that point.

Can anyone recommend some new front pads for my 184 fr. Are there any brands which work well together with the standard discs.

What size are my standard discs anyway?

Thank you so much

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
You wont have done any damage yet, but I wouldn't leave it much longer. For some reason, there's two different front disc sizes for the 184FR. Probably be the 312mm, but I'd measure them to be sure.

As you've triggered the wear indicator, make sure the new pads you pick come with a new wear indicator. Some will be built in, but I've just bought some EBC Greenstuff pads and they don't come with any (they're extra).

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Thank you so much mate do you have to buy a new Wear indicator when you change the pads no matter what brand you have ? Are the greenstuff good pads ?

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Thank you so much mate do you have to buy a new Wear indicator when you change the pads no matter what brand you have ? Are the greenstuff good pads ?
I think some already come with the cable built into the pad. I haven't fitted the Greenstuff's yet. I got an EBC brake kit as my discs didn't like the sitting around during lockdown and got quite corroded. They feel ok now, but when I last had the car serviced, the SEAT mechanic said they should be changed.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
I think some already come with the cable built into the pad. I haven't fitted the Greenstuff's yet. I got an EBC brake kit as my discs didn't like the sitting around during lockdown and got quite corroded. They feel ok now, but when I last had the car serviced, the SEAT mechanic said they should be changed.
Hi mate if the pads I am buying say integrated wear indicator does that mean I don't need any new ones ? Cheers mate

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I had a 184 TDI FR that I replaced pads and discs on. Being the higher power diesel model, it has the larger 312mm front discs.

I got Brembo discs and pads from Euro Car Parts. The wear indicator is embedded into the pads, you just take the old ones out and fit the new ones.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I had a 184 TDI FR that I replaced pads and discs on. Being the higher power diesel model, it has the larger 312mm front discs.

I got Brembo discs and pads from Euro Car Parts. The wear indicator is embedded into the pads, you just take the old ones out and fit the new ones.
So the wear sensor is part of the pads?

Some cars they are separate and you need new sensors.

Generally when the sensor brings the light up on the dash you have a fair bit of pad material left. Probably 1k miles or so. Maybe even more.

I didn't say that though

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022

Thanks mate are the Brembos good to have ?

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
So the wear sensor is part of the pads?

Some cars they are separate and you need new sensors.

Generally when the sensor brings the light up on the dash you have a fair bit of pad material left. Probably 1k miles or so. Maybe even more.

I didn't say that though
Thanks mate good to know I have a bit of time to sort I am just contemplating to have new discs and pads as I don't know when the discs were changed or if ever I can see my luck changing pads then discs go so,have to do them all again anyway lol

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
These are the discs/pads I'm waiting to fit, https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/partno/pd06kf054. If you use promo code FAM20 they go down to £208.46. As you've triggered the wear sensor, you'll need one of these, which are on their website as Part No EFA163. SEAT recommend that several of the bolts are replaced when you take the old discs/pads off.
Thank you for that mate I really appreciate it I am in two minds to replace the front discs and pads because I have done 20k since I have owned her and can't see on the seat print out if they have ever been changed and don't to be wasting money on pads that will need doing again but money is always a factor nowadays isn't it mate

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thank you for that mate I really appreciate it I am in two minds to replace the front discs and pads because I have done 20k since I have owned her and can't see on the seat print out if they have ever been changed and don't to be wasting money on pads that will need doing again but money is always a factor nowadays isn't it mate
I think that the first thing that you need to do is to get a front wheel off and work out which version of front brakes are fitted to your car, especially as you bought it second hand. Some versions of front brakes will have brake pads will have an embedded wear sensor on a single pad on the first - either right or left side inner pad, and some versions of front brakes will have a separate wear sensor that clips onto a single pad - either right or left side inner pad, when you examine the pads you will be able to work out if the wear sensor is embedded into the pad, or is a stand alone part that is clipped onto the outer edge of a single pad. As said already, is the pad wear light is "On" then that stand alone wear sensor needs replacing along with the set of pads. Also measure the overall diameter of these front discs. Also as said already, if the discs look okay and are still within the allowed wear range, then only the pads need replacing.
Although, there is an outside chance that this is a wiring problem - if you find the pad wear to be okay - but that is just highlighting what might actually be wrong with your car, first of all you really do need to examine the brakes, just grabbing maybe suitable or not versions of brake pads is not the way to go. Plus clean up the calliper and carriers before fitting or re-fitting the pads.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Thank you so much everyone for all your help with this.

Just before I make a decision are pagid and brembo pads any good ?

Are eischer really cheap crap ones ?

Which are the better.

Many thanks again

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I like the idea of buying VW Group pads but at a good price, to do that you will need to find out the part number of the pads that you need - nothing is extremely easy if you want to get the rights bits at a good price.

I've used Pagid in the past mainly to replace original pads that were Pagid, but sometimes dealing with a certain big seller is tricky in terms of being able to buy exactly the same as used by VW Group. Similarly Brembo's name in the aftermarket, or at least bits being sold in Brembo boxes, do not seem to be getting brilliant reviews - when bought from some big sellers.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I had new Brembo discs and pads last year. After they were fitted, there was definitely a marked improvement over the OEM discs and pads they replaced. But they were towards the end of their life, so I expected there to be. I don't do track days and drive hard on the road, so for me, the Brembos were perfectly fine. Wouldn't hesitate to have them again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members