FRONT BRAKE PAD HELP

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The 184tdi has 312x25mm front brakes PR:1ZA & 272x10mm PR:1KS rear brakes.
The wear sensor is positioned to trigger the brake warning light at around 3mm from the pad back plate.
You really should be changing your pads by 2-3mm minimum remaining friction material so that gives you 0-1mm left of available wear so personally I would look to change within a few weeks.
You only have 1x wear sensor (on the RH pad) so you should check the LH side to see how much material is left - could be less?
The wear sensor comes with the OE pads or decent aftermarket pads.
Your new original pads had 13.5mm total friction material so you have worn through around 10.5mm - you can work out your mileage from that 10.5mm.
High quality pads use underlayer (modified friction material used for better noise damping and friction material adhesion) which is around 1.5-2.0mm thick and while still safe you should really change your pads before getting to this underlayer.
The OE pads and decent aftermarket pads have a leading edge piston cut out (on the inboard pad) - meaning they are directional so you need to observe the directional arrow - indication wheel rotation when driving forward.

Personally I would be searching for the genuine pads using either - 8V0698151B or 5Q0698151AH.
You can find them cheaper than aftermarket 'Brembo' which I would avoid, you're just paying for the name for some crap pads.

Check your discs as well - how much of a lip do they have? minimum thickness is 22mm from 25mm when new. You can measure this with a cheap digital caliper and some spacers (penny's work fine) so you are measuring the actual disc friction surface and not the rime thickness.
Fitting new pads to worn discs has a much greater chance of noise so unless the discs are in good condition I would personally change these as well.

#edit.#
worth checking you actually have worn brake pads as the warning indicator can light with just a wiring fault.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
The wear sensor is positioned to trigger the brake warning light at around 3mm from the pad back plate.
You really should be changing your pads by 2-3mm minimum remaining friction material so that gives you 0-1mm left of available wear so personally I would look to change within a few weeks.
You only have 1x wear sensor (on the RH pad) so you should check the LH side to see how much material is left - could be less?
Your new original pads had 13.5mm total friction material so you have worn through around 10.5mm - you can work out your mileage from that 10.5mm.
High quality pads use underlayer (modified friction material used for better noise damping and friction material adhesion) which is around 1.5-2.0mm thick and while still safe you should really change your pads before getting to this underlayer.
The OE pads and decent aftermarket pads have a leading edge piston cut out (on the inboard pad) - meaning they are directional so you need to observe the directional arrow - indication wheel rotation when driving forward.

Personally I would be searching for the genuine pads using either - 8V0698151B or 5Q0698151AH.
You can find them cheaper than aftermarket 'Brembo' which I would avoid, you're just paying for the name for some crap pads.

Check your discs as well - how much of a lip do they have? minimum thickness is 22mm from 25mm when new. You can measure this with a cheap digital caliper and some spacers (penny's work fine) so you are measuring the actual disc friction surface and not the rime thickness.
Fitting new pads to worn discs has a much greater chance of noise so unless the discs are in good condition I would personally change these as well.

#edit.#
worth checking you actually have worn brake pads as the warning indicator can light with just a wiring fault.
Thank you so much for mate for a fantastic reply it has really helped me. Am I better really just trying to get some genuine ones ? Are these the correct ones ? Thanks again mate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130-103602_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130-103602_Chrome.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 65

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thank you so much for mate for a fantastic reply it has really helped me. Am I better really just trying to get some genuine ones ? Are these the correct ones ? Thanks again mate
The pad OEM 8V0698151S is actually linked to PR code 1ZE and the 288 disc brake and is a Jurid friction vs Galfa of the 2x OEM's I shared for the 312 disc.
Dimensionally they are interchangeable, and I doubt on the road you would tell a difference in friction materials, maybe only at vmax on the autobahn!

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
The pad OEM 8V0698151S is actually linked to PR code 1ZE and the 288 disc brake and is a Jurid friction vs Galfa of the 2x OEM's I shared for the 312 disc.
Dimensionally they are interchangeable, and I doubt on the road you would tell a difference in friction materials, maybe only at vmax on the autobahn!
Thanks again mate when I put the part number you said in it brings up this for the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol doesn't mention diesel?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130-113306_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130-113306_Chrome.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 59

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Here is a picture of my front discs what we thinking? Had mot last month and no problems report with them at all cheers ps excuse my wheels lol

Attachments

• 20230130_104957.jpg
    20230130_104957.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 64

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
As long as there isn’t a big lip on the edge they look ok, seem to be getting used evenly across the surface.
Thanks mate on the passenger side I did seem to feel a lip though I am thinking I should probably change the lot as it will be a waste of money otherwise I do alot of miles you see so in a matter of two months I will have covered 4k so will have to pay for all this again

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks mate on the passenger side I did seem to feel a lip though I am thinking I should probably change the lot as it will be a waste of money otherwise I do alot of miles you see so in a matter of two months I will have covered 4k so will have to pay for all this again
So you have 3mm total disc wear allowance - 1.5mm each side - if the wear lip is around or over 1mm I would change the discs also. If you change your discs their mounting surface needs to be spotless - I find a rotary wire brush in a drill (with eye protection) the best and a small needle file for stubborn bits of rust.

If you go for discs I would just find the cheapest R90 approved disc you can that are silver coated and high carbon HC.
312 disc OEM part number = 5Q0615301F

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks again mate when I put the part number you said in it brings up this for the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol doesn't mention diesel?
The 1.8TSI and 2.0tdi 184 have the same brake systems.
If you buy from that website the you can give the your reg/vin to check rather than trust some random guy of a forum :ROFLMAO:

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
So you have 3mm total disc wear allowance - 1.5mm each side - if the wear lip is around or over 1mm I would change the discs also. If you change your discs their mounting surface needs to be spotless - I find a rotary wire brush in a drill (with eye protection) the best and a small needle file for stubborn bits of rust.

If you go for discs I would just find the cheapest R90 approved disc you can that are silver coated and high carbon HC.
312 disc OEM part number = 5Q0615301F
Thanks again so much mate for all your help. Are pagid discs and pads good ? I can't really afford fancy groved ones from mtec and the genuine ones are a little out of reach at over 200 pounds are the pagid discs the spec you have mentioned thanks again

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks again so much mate for all your help. Are pagid discs and pads good ? I can't really afford fancy groved ones from mtec and the genuine ones are a little out of reach at over 200 pounds are the pagid discs the spec you have mentioned thanks again
Pads are ok - though not sure about the shim, as the shim wraps around the pad, its thickness is important and many aftermarket pads just have a cheap/thin shim which means they can rattle in the carrier. If a big saving to the OEM pad then fine - but I can see the OEM pads on ebay for £57.
Those discs are not high carbon (HC)

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Yes pagid discs and pads are fine. You usually get good deals for discs and pads on autodoc. I had brembo discs and bosch pads fod the front for £100 pounds.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Febi ones for example

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_152536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_152536_Chrome.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 47

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Pads are ok - though not sure about the shim, as the shim wraps around the pad, its thickness is important and many aftermarket pads just have a cheap/thin shim which means they can rattle in the carrier. If a big saving to the OEM pad then fine - but I can see the OEM pads on ebay for £57.
Those discs are not high carbon (HC)
Hi mate thanks again do you have the link for the ebay listing and also sorry to ask could you provide any links to recommended discs that are high carbon etc thanks again

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018

#edit.#

I don't really understand the need to advise avoiding 'crap Brembo' brake parts, when I have previously recommended them in this thread?

I had Brembo discs and pads on my Leon for 1000's of miles. I have previously had their discs and pads on other vehicles with no problems. And a quick internet search doesn't find any alarming bad reviews of Brembo parts that would suggest they should be avoided.

If you can get OEM parts for cheaper that is fair enough, but if not, I wouldn't hesitate using Brembo again.

Last edited:

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
I don't really understand the need to advise avoiding 'crap Brembo' brake parts, when I have previously recommended them in this thread?

I had Brembo discs and pads on my Leon for 1000's of miles. I have previously had their discs and pads on other vehicles with no problems. And a quick internet search doesn't find any alarming bad reviews of Brembo parts that would suggest they should be avoided.

If you can get OEM parts for cheaper that is fair enough, but I wouldn't buy them off ebay.
Hi mate so sorry that will be me asking constant questions all the time because I am no mechanic and don't understand these things. I am just looking at the brembos now on autodoc thanks mate for all your advise

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019

If you can get OEM parts for cheaper that is fair enough, but if not, I wouldn't hesitate using Brembo again.
I wouldnt worry about super v8 he is a bit of a bewt 🤣

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.