[GARMIN PID] Change a Seat or Skoda PID to a VW Maps & More Device (Or Vice Versa)

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Reposted from my original thread on the Up! Forums.

For those wondering how to reset a Seat, Skoda or VW Navigon or Garmin Unit to be used in another branded car:

1. Connect the unit to your PC or Laptop.

2. Open the 'Navigon' drive.

3. Create a new, empty text file named branddevice.reg. This must be in the root of the drive (not inside any other folder).
Make sure the name is branddevice.reg and not branddevice.reg.txt - this is important. Just rename it if need be (choose yes if it tells you that the file might not be usable when saving).

4. Open the folder 'VwBrandDevice' and then open the folder 'Settings'.
  • If you have a file called UserSettingsDevMode.default, open this with a text editor, such as notepad.
  • If not, create a new text file just like above, and save it in the settings folder with the name UserSettingsDevMode.default and not UserSettingsDevMode.default.txt.
Open that file with your text editor and copy and paste the code below EXACTLY AS IT IS WRITTEN, overwriting anything else in the file, then save it.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1'?>
<Settings>
<Active>1</Active>
<VehicleIdentificationNumber>WVWZZZAAZFZ696969</VehicleIdentificationNumber>
</Settings>

5. Disconnect the unit. It will restart and give you a prompt where you can choose which car you have.
  • At this point you can choose "Automatic" and connect the unit to your car and it will detect the settings needed.
  • If you'd rather, you can choose "Seat" and 3 questions will follow about your car - these dictate what features you get. If you pick the wrong thing, just repeat this step and try again.
EDIT:

If you want to use some features on the device, you need to register the unit to your own VIN. This should clear any "This function can only be used in the vehicle in which the device was first installed" errors you may get otherwise.

To do this, after having already followed all of the above steps (this is very important) :

1. Find your VIN Number, and write it down somewhere. It's on your V5C or Registration Document if you have that handy.

2. With your device disconnected from your car, factory reset the device by turning it on while holding your finger on the screen for 10 seconds or more.
You will need to calibrate the screen, but don't go any further than that. Don't connect the device back to the car yet.

3. Plug into your PC, and follow my guide as above. You will still need the blank branddevice.reg file, but in the UserSettingsDevMode.default file, put YOUR VIN in the file, rather than the one from before, so:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1'?>
<Settings>
<Active>1</Active>
<VehicleIdentificationNumber>YOUR VIN HERE</VehicleIdentificationNumber>
</Settings>

Done!

If anyone has any questions or needs further help, feel free to reply here or PM me and I will do my best to assist.

Apr 17, 2024
Hi there,

Asking for a friend:

We tried all of the above and it still gives the This function can only be used in the vehicle in which the device was first installed error when trying to access the performance display.

Any idea what we could try?

Kind regards,
Thomas

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.