GEARBOX!! Recon or Replace????

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Anyone know roughly it costs to get a gearbox recond these days? i have a crunch going into 2nd and 3rd which makes me think its the first three synchros that are goosed, i havnt changed the gear oil yet but i will get round to that this week, but i was looking on ebay and the 6 speed boxes are selling for in excess of £500, not the sort of money i want to part with to be honest

Dan:think:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you could get it rebuilt for the sort of money 2nd hand ones fetch

mind you be worth keeping in mind they are becoming coming so will depend on the bearing mounts on wether it will be rebuild-able anyway

I know they are miles away from you but give these guys a call they'll be able to give ya some more info - never let me down quality/price or service in the last 10years

http://www.grgb.co.uk/

Sparks69

My Leon TDI FR is going in for a gearbox recon tomorrow, which will take all week.

Got problems with 3rd, 4th and 5th, cost will be at least £500. The gearbox company have quoted either £200+VAT Labour plus any parts or £649 for a full recon.

Looking at £250 labour for the gearbox to be removed and re-fitted.

I may also get the clutch replaced as the gearbox will be out.

I'll keep you posted

Sparks69

Got an update on the car today. Basically the syncromesh on all six gears needs replacing bill now for gearbox recon only is over £700 + VAT!!

New clutch is another £200 on top, got to make my mind up whether to change it.

It's a bit frustrating as the car has only done 52k miles, must have had a hard life before I started ruining it!

Sparks69

Final bill including clutch, wait for it £1300!!! Get the car back tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers crossed I will not get another big bill as long as I own the car!

Mar 18, 2011
Teesside
Bloody hell!!! I complain spendin any money id much rather replace box myself and have car off the road for a while, my gearbox experience is limited though ive done one :D on a 2001 mondeo petrol took 5hours,
Dan

yessar_kd

May 4, 2008
Birmingham
Mine went two months ago and managed to pick up a gearbox for £250

The guy was selling it on ebay for £500 and i haggled him down and he even dropped it off to me :)

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
if you go for replace get a 02M tdi box!

Why?

Apart from the extra long final drive that would be good for hyper mile-ing but not so good everywhere else? :think: I know you've got a few mods under the bonnet :) and the extra top end speed is what you're after, we just can't do that in the UK ;)

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
Why?

Apart from the extra long final drive that would be good for hyper mile-ing but not so good everywhere else? :think: I know you've got a few mods under the bonnet :) and the extra top end speed is what you're after, we just can't do that in the UK ;)

Bcs its a 6 speed tdi box. Tdi means its built to withstand more torque. Also a magnesium box.

The 6th final drive is a welcome bonus not just for top speed but also for commuting at lower rpms.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.