Glow plug relay location - 2014 184 TDi

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
That's the one i'm looking at.

Don't suppose you've had chance to fit it? Still getting occasional long cranking?
Funnily enough, I fitted it on Saturday.

This morning it started fine, but I need to do some more starts. I'll know more when I start it up to leave work and also what it's like in the morning when it's been standing for a while.

I'll update after a few days. Fingers crossed.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Funnily enough, I fitted it on Saturday.

This morning it started fine, but I need to do some more starts. I'll know more when I start it up to leave work and also what it's like in the morning when it's been standing for a while.

I'll update after a few days. Fingers crossed.
At the weekend I ran the fuel system purge again - it just runs the electric pump for a minute - and still had a long crank afterwards so for me i'm convinced it's not fuel pressure/air.

I'm toying with the idea of running a new battery adaption - but on my old battery - just to see if this reset might fix some weird learned value? but can't find anywhere definitive if this is a good/bad idea? In my diagnostics there is a comment saying 'may only be carried out on a new battery' :ROFLMAO:

Don't want to be left stranded - as even with some long cranks it always starts.

1662985545457.png

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
AKAIK, the car adapts the charging profile based on the perceived age of the battery. If you tell it there is a new battery, it may charge it differently and not in a good way. Can't say for sure but maybe not worth the grief?

Mine has cranked okay last night after work and this morning. I'll let what it's like for the rest of the week before offering an opinion.

Evo97

Nov 23, 2020
Replaced my battery and coded slightly improved but still a longer crank time then normal on first start of the day

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Replaced my battery and coded slightly improved but still a longer crank time then normal on first start of the day
Interesting,
Does yours 'long crank' every day on the first start up? or 'randomly' some days ok, others not and you get a long crank?
Also just so we are on the same page - how long would you say your long cranks are? When mine does it it can be long enough for me to turn to my other half and do one of my WTF faces! while its sitting there cranking. Always starts though.

Video of one of my long cranks - in this one you can here it stumble - and continue cranking, but normally I don't hear a stumble.

Evo97

Nov 23, 2020
I could cope with that. Mine certainly can crank longer then that on a bad day.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I could cope with that. Mine certainly can crank longer then that on a bad day.
This was just one which I happened to record - it absolutely has/does it longer, I think twice as long sometimes.

Evo97

Nov 23, 2020
Was a very mild morning this morning so now the cold mornings are starting in the UK again I bet it’s going to start behaving itself.
The wife did inform me tho she refuelled yesterday so it also seems bad when it’s below quarter full ????

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
just thought I'd add my experience with the 184 intermittent long crank feature

had a Leon 184 for nearly 3 years. Initially I tried to get to the root of the problem but gave up. I tried various scans and logs with vcds with no joy. I also tried a new crank sensor with no change.

I've now had a Golf GTD for 3 years with the same feature. Didn't even try to resolve it. Just accepted its a feature of the engine.

Also to add, both cars have had the lift pump and control module replaced with no change to the long crank behaviour.

Reactions: SuperV8

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Ok - so since changing the battery the car has not had a long crank for 4 days. Go figure.

The SOC has also gone to 80% and then 90%. With the old battery it never went beyond 70%.

I'll see what it is like when the weather gets colder. Last year it was worse in the winter but then got super stupid this summer. Now I have new glow plugs and battery, I'm really hoping that I have no issues, The fact that it was worse this summer (after glow plugs replaced), certainly made me feel it was another issue.

I hope that the battery change has solved it, but I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Ok - so since changing the battery the car has not had a long crank for 4 days. Go figure.

The SOC has also gone to 80% and then 90%. With the old battery it never went beyond 70%.

I'll see what it is like when the weather gets colder. Last year it was worse in the winter but then got super stupid this summer. Now I have new glow plugs and battery, I'm really hoping that I have no issues, The fact that it was worse this summer (after glow plugs replaced), certainly made me feel it was another issue.

I hope that the battery change has solved it, but I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.
My 'cold' starts over the last week have been fine! Now it's colder in the mornings and Autumn is on its way! Don't know if that's correlation or causation???

I noticed this 100ms glowplug pre-operation time last night which I was surprised to see at 18 degs?
Don't know if this varies with temp?
1663671226863.png

Evo97

Nov 23, 2020
My starts have been fine also with the colder mornings which I thought would be the case as had the same issues last summer.
I’m sure low fuel
(yep the wife loves getting it into the reserve 😡) makes starting worse
New battery fitted and coded certainly turns it over quicker which may of improved things even tho the old battery constantly passed tests

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I've had a week with a new battery and not one episode of long cranking.

If it was glow plugs, logic would dictate more issues in colder weather. I'll see how we go, but so far, the battery change has solved my problem.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I've had a week with a new battery and not one episode of long cranking.

If it was glow plugs, logic would dictate more issues in colder weather. I'll see how we go, but so far, the battery change has solved my problem.
Yesterday after 5 days not using my car I got a battery low warning on my dash. Checking the SOC showed 30% so that was enough for me to finally pull the trigger get a new battery. While my SOC was showing 50-60% I just couldn't replace it!
After 2x days driving I no longer get the low warning but still have a SOC of 40-50%, I think I could probably push it longer as long as I'm using it regularly but I think a 2014 original battery has done well and don't want to be stranded when it gets cold!.

How's your long crank?

Mine's been much better since it's got colder! - however I did get 1x long crank. We'll see how the new battery goes.

Reactions: SteveGSXR600K1

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Yesterday after 5 days not using my car I got a battery low warning on my dash. Checking the SOC showed 30% so that was enough for me to finally pull the trigger get a new battery. While my SOC was showing 50-60% I just couldn't replace it!
After 2x days driving I no longer get the low warning but still have a SOC of 40-50%, I think I could probably push it longer as long as I'm using it regularly but I think a 2014 original battery has done well and don't want to be stranded when it gets cold!.

How's your long crank?

Mine's been much better since it's got colder! - however I did get 1x long crank. We'll see how the new battery goes.
For some reason I get '--' when I view the SOC. I've got a 'Battery Monitor II' which Bluetooth's to your phone. You get some interesting data from it. After a run my battery will sit around 85% and then within a day or two it will have dropped to 65%. It tells you the cranking voltage, which is usually around 9.3v if it's been left.
I rarely get the long crank, but when I do, it's always at work when it's parked down a slight slope. No idea if that's relevant!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
For some reason I get '--' when I view the SOC. I've got a 'Battery Monitor II' which Bluetooth's to your phone. You get some interesting data from it. After a run my battery will sit around 85% and then within a day or two it will have dropped to 65%. It tells you the cranking voltage, which is usually around 9.3v if it's been left.
I rarely get the long crank, but when I do, it's always at work when it's parked down a slight slope. No idea if that's relevant!
Interesting, wonder why your SOC isn't working? Are you on the original battery?
Does your battery monitor graph your data so you can see voltages over a trip? Just wondering if you're seeing constant voltage or varying voltage depending on engine load? (see my previous graphs page 2)
I have had long cranks on my drive which slopes backwards and also at work on the flat so for me I don't think that is a cause.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
It is on the original battery. Keep meaning to look at the battery setting within OBDeleven.
The attached image shows the slow battery decline overnight, my journey to work, journey home, etc.
Screenshot_20221019-102151_Battery Monitor.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Jul 28, 2022
Hi everyone! To add one more experience to the "Long cranking" issue: I have the 2014 Seat Leon FR 184 CUPA and it as been randomly cranking on the first start of the day since I've got it. Sometimes it cranks for ~10s, some times it fires right away, no matter the outside temperature. No error codes on obdeleven as well. I was thinking it was a vvt issue, but there is no vvt on my engine :unsure:

I've changed the battery and it helped, for a first few days than the problem randomly came back.

Than, I had issue with coolant loss which turned out to be bend in the head so I've got it fixed and that also fixed the cranking issue, but, again, for a few days only. Coolant system was so pressurized and the fluid kept blowing on the expansion tank.

After that, there was another coolant loss, this time when the car was turned off, and that was the issue with intercooler/charge air cooler puncture. The dealership told me the charge air cooler is the common issue, and it could be the reason for the long cranking. Had it fixed yesterday, and today the car, again, cranked for a 8-10s before it started. I'll keep an eye for the next days to see if it comes back.

Attachments

• received_1544365605992333.jpeg
    received_1544365605992333.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 59