Has anyone experienced problems with AmD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

autocar1964

Hi,

I'm a newbie. Dunno if this subject has come up before, but is there anyone out there who's experienced problems with AmD doing jobs on their motors ? Or is it just me ?

autocar1964

Clearly then, despite 117 views, no one else in the world has any issues with AmD. Strange. They don't reply to e-mails, especially when you point out issues which they theselves caused, e.g. bending wishbones when fitting new poly bushes, trapping electrical washer motor cable under the engine mount after replacing a cambelt, not replacing the undertray, putting another customers engine cover on my car, overfilling the engine oil, not returning gearbox oil supplied by me, but never fitted (this could be considered by some as theft, not merely an "oversight), removal (and not refitting) parts fitted by me, and not advised of their removal, inability to make a Milltek exhaust fit properly (they've been trying for 6 years - bless 'em), and the list goes on.

I've found another potential workshop for tuning, and another for doing the servicing, and I'm really, really glad to see the back of AmD, especially after the last bill for over £3500 which incidentally yielded ZERO additonal horsepower. Great Job folks. Thank you and good bye.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Right, im guessin you have pursued all avenues of contact with AMD? As publically flaming a company is not necessarily the right reason for joining a forum?

Jimski

autocar1964

I believe so. I wrote a number of times, and all responses got ignored.

It wasn't only them I got given the run around by either. Milltek themselves did the same (AmD claim they spent 2 hours trying to separate the exhaust to enable them to change the turbo - they couldn't so asked me if they could cut it and thus I'd have to have a new system. Amd claim they went back to Milltek to invoke the so-called Lifetime Warranty and were told that the system was fina on the car, it was merely an issue of the fact that it had to be removed which caused the problem !!), as did Mardigras with the Clutch (Again Amd Claim they fitted the clutch and it popped the Concentric slave. Helix were adamant that it shouldn't have done this, but I'm still the person lumbered with an 859 quid bill for a clutch kit that didn't work - AmD fitted a Sachs clutch in the end. I wouldn't have bother with Helix if I hadn't been ignored by AmD when asked for help sourcing a suitable clutch, which it turns out the had on the shelf !!). They had the car for 6 weeks, when it was originally estimated at 3 days !!

And yes, if I can alert other Cupra users to the fact that AmD are not quite the outfit they once were at Bicester, then I think the forum is the perfect place for it, don't you ?

autocar1964

Incidentally, the reapping of the electric washer motor cable under the engine mount was really funny. I got off the boeat from Newcastle to Stavanger in Oslo and my rear wiper suddenly turned itself on - the switch was in the off position. I motored on and it began to rain. Turned on the front wipers and all was well. Then caught up with traffic and the screen got dirty. Went to clean it, i.e. squirt som washer fluid on it and all the wipers stopped working. Couldn' see a thing. Oh how we laughed. Had a jolly wait at a service station for 2 hours while the RAC European bloke came out, gave me a pack of fuses and sent me on my way again. All coz a wire shorted to earth under the engine mount. "Oh what fun we had, but at the time it seemed so bad...."

shaun@amdessex

Apr 23, 2004
Hi

I think you are the customer who came over from Denmark? You always supplied your own parts, usually from EBay or secondhand? Is this the same customer?

Probably best to start with your comments in order:

It seems that we DO treat our customers well and make sure that we carry out any work to an acceptable standard as nobody has answered your first comment? Obviously nobodys perfect but I can honestly say that we endeavour to sort any customers problems as efficiently as possible.

With regards to your car, yes it was initially booked in for 3 days but once we had problems with the turbo that YOU supplied not fitting the manifold that YOU supplied and the clutch that YOU supplied bursting the master cylinder it was impossible to complete the work in that time frame.

We informed you what the problems were and you were aware of these problems.

You were not able to collect the car when it was ready because you had returned home. I believe the car was with us for 2/3 weeks, finished, before you were able to collect it?

As to the lack of reply to your emails- once you started threatening us with legal action and costs incurred I decided not to reply as I thought you were being unreasonable and argumentative.

The Milltek exhaust had been fitted on your vehicle for 6 years as you say. As you are also aware your car has a very hard life. Does it live on a farm?

The Milltek exhaust section that we had to replace was not covered under Millteks warranty because it did not have a
manufacturing fault.

Apparently you did have a problem with a trapped wire under an engine mount from a previous visit but we weren't informed about this problem until you wanted to book in again quite a few months later.

We did however apologise for this and compensated you by reducing your labour figure from this visit.

I am glad you have found a garage/s who can accomodate you.

Regards
Shaun Hollamby
AmD Technik (Essex) Ltd.

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
fact that AmD are not quite the outfit they once were at Bicester

Well aside from a bit of the name they arent anything to do with AmD Teknik no, having worked for the previous AmD in Bicester and what it turned into after thats much to their benifit I think, from what i've seen they get very good reviews.

autocar1964

Hi Shaun,

If nothing else, at least this has produced a response previously lacking (which I will come to later).

Like you, I feel I need to answer your points, 1 by 1.

I travel from Norway to the UK, but close enough. I do where possible supply my own parts – HELIX don’t sell clutches on E-bay. The only 2nd hand thing I’ve ever fitted is the Forge FMIC, stupidly expensive new !

The problems with timescales had little to do with the Turbo, manifold or clutch I supplied. Everything which went wrong to at least 2 days to resolve. The turbo I supplied wasn’t fitted on AmD’s own recommendation. On that day it was agreed AmD would refit the old turbo. Next day I get a call to say the old turbo had too much play in it, and would have to be replaced (but you had one in the shop). Why couldn’t the turbo have been checked for suitability for refit before the 1st call ? The manifold (I still don’t understand why it didn’t fit as it was, in EVERY single key dimension identical to the millimetre to the standard – I measured it myself) I agreed to replace – had to be ordered. AmD continually identified the gearbox delivery as a bottleneck – it was delived 2 days late, but then AmD din’t fit it for over another week as it was “easier to remove and fit the turbo without it in place”, so this should not have been used as an excuse.

As for the clutch, both Mardigras and Helix maintain that the concentric slave was either fitted incorrectly or was part fitted and someone pressed the clutch pedal before the slave was in situ. Either way, neither AmD nor Mardigrads/Helix admit any liability and I end up with an 859 quid paperweight. I only went down that road in the first place because I got no reply for AmD to my request for help sourcing a suitable unit. Again, when the problem occurred, I agreed the same day I was informed, to go ahead and fit a Sachs unit which I was told you had “on the shelf” – turns out you didn’t have it “on the shelf” and had to order a new flywheel !

You claim the car was ready within 2 – 3 weeks. I delivered the car to you on 14th April. I had to return to Norway without my car on 1st May. I received the final cal that it was ready to collect on the 26th May. Doesn’t sound like 2 – 3 weeks to me – actually sounds like 6 weeks.
And no, you’re totally correct – I was NOT prepared to jump immediately on a plane to come and collect it – I had rather a lot on at work, and couldn’t plan my return earlier than the end of June as I had no clue when the car would actually be finished until 26th May !

About not replying to my e-mails, I will let others decide. Argumentative ? I merely wanted answers to some VERY pertinent questions. As for threatening legal action, the full mail thread is below so you decide. I see no threat implied or stated, so I would be VERY careful about making such accusations, Shaun.

The Milltek exhaust. The whole exhaust had to be removed, so I’m led to believe to replace the turbo, and it couldn’t be taken off in one piece. AmD couldn’t split it and thus I was asked if AmD could cut it off. I agreed, and asked AmD to check with Milltek about the warranty. The so-called “Lifetime warranty” doesn’t cover the fact that the sections had corroded themselves together. Speaking to Milltek’s MD though, he asked if AmD had tried heat to free the sections as he seemed to think this a fairly successful method. I couldn’t comment. Again, at the end of the day, I live in Norway. They have 1-2 metres of snow every year and use grit and salt as appropriate to make the roads useable. I still think that the Milltek warrant is worthless as external corrosion is not covered – only defects and corrosion from inside, i.e. failure.

I actually did have a problem with the trapped wire as a result of the timing belt replacement. I actually also did have either 1 or both wishbones bent by Steve when he hammered in the new Poly bushes, one of the main ones even being put in upside down (witness marks from missed hammer blows and the upside down bush pointed out to me by the MOT centre). Both just caused me a huge amount of inconvenience, expense (diagnosis and fixing for the wiring and replacement for the wishbones) and in the case of the wishbones, tyre wear on a brand new set of Parada Spec-2’s !

Again, what about the 3 litres of Mobil 1 gearbox oil I supplied, never fitted, which AmD ”retained” ? What about the Ecotec valve and Pipercross filter simply removed for no reason and not mentioned (and not included in the box of parts I was given) ? What about the engine undertray not on the car when it was returned (Only descovered later) ? What about the engine cover from another customers car which didn’t fit properly ?

In conclusion Shaun, I too am extremely happy I have a new pair of garages to service/tune my care in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Why is this on here tbh?

It is a private matter between AmD and their customer. Now a dialoge has opened I would say its for them to discuss.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
It had been left open initially to allow a response if any of which it has now had

Clearly by your own statement and lack of replies the answer you were looking for has been sought

As you appear to have joined with the sole intention of publicising your crusade, can i suggest you find some form of communication to continue your cause.

:Closed:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.