HID H1 High Beam Help

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Hi Peeps,

Ive done the H7 install and i am very very happy with the HIDS but feel because of the awful yellow look when on high beam i want to upgrade the H1 to HIDS....

Whos done it and what extra needs doing?

Is it as easy as the H7's???

I will probably by this kit to match my H7's as i have been very happy with the H7's from here.....:

http://www.mydepots.com/index.php?c...ath=65_66&products_id=180&number_of_uploads=0

Any help appreciated?

Rich

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
How often do you use your H1 beams? i just use mines for flashing or giving way.
Asume your main h7 should be bright enough

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
your H7 should be bright enough surely if they are HIDs
i dont think the H1 will be any harder/different to do

just your going to have to locate a 2nd set of ballasts

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Remember that hids take a split sec to charge with a fair whack of power and you are going to seriously shorten their lives by flashing them and short periods of use. If your dipped beam staill arnt enough, why not change your light housings to projector style lamps where you will get a more focussed beam and more visibility.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Remember that hids take a split sec to charge with a fair whack of power and you are going to seriously shorten their lives by flashing them and short periods of use. If your dipped beam staill arnt enough, why not change your light housings to projector style lamps where you will get a more focussed beam and more visibility.

You're bang on there mate. I sell HID video lighting equipment to the diving industry so know a bit about them. Not only will you reduce the bulb life but you'll knacker the ballasts as well.

If possible you should always let the bulb get up to temp before turning them off. usually takes 30 secs or so.

what with the cost of replacements, you've been warned.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I wasn't aware of the Life side of the bulbs, but i was informed about this from someone in the know that if you were to flash someone out of a junction the lights wouldn't power up quick enough. This could cause hassle to you and others.
Have a look on powerbulbs as they have excellent service and a good range of bulbs.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
lloooooks like these could do the job: Philips Blue Vision H1

voted best bulb in 2005 by autoexpress

They are a good bulb, but not great. look for some of the 80% brighter ones if you can. if you need the extra light for high beam, might as well get the most you can?
What are your side lights like now? bit yellowish?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Heres a pic of my 6000k HID's and the Side lights on they're own.
Close match i think:
DSC00340.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

The Sidelights are PIAA white LED's for anyone who's interested. Not cheap, but better than other LED's i have tried.

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
well ive got LED sidelights.....person who had car before me put them in....

Where did you get the PIAA white leds?

What do people recommend for the H1's if your running 6000k hids?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
well ive got LED sidelights.....person who had car before me put them in....

Where did you get the PIAA white leds?

What do people recommend for the H1's if your running 6000k hids?
I got them from demon tweeks. I expect you will find them online somewhere.
I just got some 50% extra H1 bulbs in mine. white bulbs as the blue doesn't even come close, and as i hardly need them it seemed pointless in getting anything too expensive.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I think those PIAA bulbs in the first link are H$ as they show the output as 45/65. Normally means Low/High if they are dual fillament.
I could be wrong though?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Thats what i've got in mine. They are a good bulb and light up the road well. Reflect blue when lights shine on them, but are a good white light when needed.