HID H1 High Beam Help

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
OK...

H1 bulbs only have 1 terminal on them for the positive feed. The negative is supplied via metal part of the bulb & the bulb holder in the headlight.

Because the HID kits (in any form...H1, H7, H3, etc) come with 2 terminals you have to mod the existing loom to be able to get them to work...this is where my DIY bit comes in.

The end of the DIY loom that has the 2 wires connnected to goes onto the terminal on the bulb holder, then one of the other ends goes to the negative terminal on the HID kit wiring, and the other the the earth lead that was removed from the bulb holder terminal.

It is a little difficult to explain without being infront of the car...

I'll see if I can get some better pic's of the setup in situ, it's dark by the time I get home from work, so may have to wait until the weekend :(

Funkyfin2000

Black Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
yeah i almost understand :)

Just need to get some of those looms set up.

what gauge wire needs to be used?

Pics would be bloody ace!

Not really that difficult really! Depends if worth the hassle! :D

Rich

ps - you manage to hide all your ballasts without taking bumper off?

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
yeah i almost understand :)

Just need to get some of those looms set up.

what gauge wire needs to be used?

Pics would be bloody ace!

Not really that difficult really! Depends if worth the hassle! :D

Rich

ps - you manage to hide all your ballasts without taking bumper off?

I live out in the sticks, so use my full beam a fair bit, hence the upgrade...

Passenger side ballasts can all be hidden away in the tray that sits just below the headlamps themselves...behind the plastic shroud but the battery.

Driver side is a little more tricky, I have one just behind the washer bottle, and the other attached to the slam plate with the cradle that comes with them, other have hidden them off better, never really got round to it :redface:

I'll do my best to get pic's over the weekend!

Funkyfin2000

Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
some people say they hide it in the coevr that you unscrew to get to the cover that covers the back of the headlamp, thats always a possibility :D

and the other one, i could put behind the water bottle out the way!

I want the OEM look so you can't see them! hate them otherwise, my Cupra R has then on display and i hated it.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
You can fit both ballasts on the passenger side inside the little plastic under light tray.

Drivers side, one bots nicely to the threaded hole the SMIC would use and the other sits nicely under the headlight itself. If you really want them hidden, take the bumper off and fasten them to the lower headlamp retaining bolts - the only problem then is you get a failed ballast you've got to take the bumper off again to get at them :)

Other option is behind the bumper if you go in behind where each side grill is - i'll be going in there when i put HID in the fogs ;)

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
You can fit both ballasts on the passenger side inside the little plastic under light tray.

Drivers side, one bots nicely to the threaded hole the SMIC would use and the other sits nicely under the headlight itself. If you really want them hidden, take the bumper off and fasten them to the lower headlamp retaining bolts - the only problem then is you get a failed ballast you've got to take the bumper off again to get at them :)

Other option is behind the bumper if you go in behind where each side grill is - i'll be going in there when i put HID in the fogs ;)

Blimey 7 minutes...only have to type his name and he appears...have you got a search bot running on the site for you name or summit ;) :p

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
yeah can't be arsed taking bumper off as thats a complete arse!

Is the passender side little plastic under light tray with the unscrewed cover off?

If you remove the plastic's just in front of the battery...the ones you have to take off to get at the back of the headlamps, it in full view...again...pic's at the weekend of all this hopefully!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
probably just stick it, so it don't wobble about, you can't see it, so sticky back plastic it inside?

Yes but do it when it's a dry day as there's a fair bit of water / moisture that gathers in there - avoid the area nearest to the wing if at all possible as that seems to be the worst affected part. I ended up taking the plastic tray out and drilling some drain holes in it ( hence warning about wiring) :)

Funkyfin2000

Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Thanks dude,

Well all fitted peeps!

Put the ballast in the tray but i need to stick it down with some double sided foamy tape stuff, no gunk in there at all or wet.....

the other side was trickier, i have taken the water bottle out and then wedged it in the wing, not the best but stealth, awaiting the pics though of all 4 ballasts! :D

Funkyfin2000

Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Oh yeah and does anyone else find the bulbs bounce more on the roads....

i found this with my Cupra R ones too, the light tend to be more ceceptable to the road and bouncing about a bit?

also one the bulbs went out on me whilst driving, turned off and back on again and worked fine, will doubel check connection today i think!

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I have main and dipped hids, my balasts are all mounted in the inner wings (removed the arch liners to get them there). My dipped beam have a small delay when turned on, but my main don't - not sure why but it makes them perfect for flashing etc. They have been in since april and still going strong (touch wood). I am running an additional wiring loom with relays to take power directly from the battery to my HIDs.
Yes - mine appear to bounce more too; but the roads around me are utter sh1te!

Funkyfin2000

Oct 6, 2005
Stafford, Staffordshire
Well i have been back to check them today, and bulbd was on for 1 minute, it flickered a few times, then went out! :(

So is it a duff bulb peeps???

Can't drive the car now until i find out what it is :(

Rich

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise