Ibiza 1.4 TSI FR 150 - Reliability Issues?

gurji1234

Hi,

I am new to this forum (so excuse any unintended noobish mistakes I may make)... but I am very interested in getting a Seat Ibiza 1.4 TSI FR 150 with a DSG box.

I have heard patchy rumours of reliability issues with the twincharged engine and was wondering if someone could give me a quick lowdown (or post a link to another thread which already exists) on whether the 1.4 150PS is one to really recommend or is the 1.2 the one to have?

Any other guidance on maintenance and MUST DO's regarding ownership and upkeep etc would be greatly appreciate.

To give a timescale, I am hoping to get this car next Saturday (15th March).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexFR

Hi mate, I've got a 59 plate 1.4 TSI FR with 25k on the clock and haven't had any problems yet. From what I've read on here and researched, it tends to be the more highly tuned engines which start to drink up oil. I've used about 2 litres of oil in the last 2 years.

gurji1234

Hi mate, I've got a 59 plate 1.4 TSI FR with 25k on the clock and haven't had any problems yet. From what I've read on here and researched, it tends to be the more highly tuned engines which start to drink up oil. I've used about 2 litres of oil in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the reply pal. Sounds good!! I guess the forums tend to further highlight any problem.

I probably should have added more info for the forum members, since my question is regarding reliability and I guess models change all the time.

This car I am looking at is a: March 2013 (13 plate) Seat Ibiza 1.4 TSI FR (150 PS).

Thanks!

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
That will most likely have the newer cthe engine in it rather than the older cave engine which had most of the problems. You can check this under the bonnet on a black plate just beside the coolant with the chassis number and load etc on it.
I have a 2013 cupra with the 180 bhp version of the same engine and I can't say a bad word about it. It used a little oil when I first got it, but now that it's run in (12,000), it uses virtually none. I guess if it's constantly run ragged to the red line there could be problems, but if you're sensible you should be grand. You ll also still have two years warranty so I think you should be pretty safe. Hope you enjoy the car when you get it :)

gurji1234

That will most likely have the newer cthe engine in it rather than the older cave engine which had most of the problems. You can check this under the bonnet on a black plate just beside the coolant with the chassis number and load etc on it.
I have a 2013 cupra with the 180 bhp version of the same engine and I can't say a bad word about it. It used a little oil when I first got it, but now that it's run in (12,000), it uses virtually none. I guess if it's constantly run ragged to the red line there could be problems, but if you're sensible you should be grand. You ll also still have two years warranty so I think you should be pretty safe. Hope you enjoy the car when you get it :)

Thanks mjrSharpe!

Will have a look at the engine bay as suggested, cheers.

Will have to snap out of my robotic "leave the maintenance for the mechanic" mode and maintain a watchful eye over oil levels, coolant etc more regularly!

... only problem now... I can't wait to get in the car!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.