Idle problems and strong smell of fuel

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Guy s my car is struggling to tick over and the revs are jumping between 500-1000 (bouncing up and down) and there is a strong smell of fuel. My EPC light is on and also my engine management light comes on eventually. :cry:

Has this happenend to anyone before, just want to know what it could be and if its going to cost me? :confused:

Cheers Mikey :(

mishy

I had a split breather hose very close to the dumb valve. made it idle roughly, hestitations/stutter under power and also a very strong smell as the cabin filter/inlet is nearby.

mishy

The breather hose comes out of the top right of the engine block in a sorta Y peiece. Its along this seem that mine had gone, a gentle twist may show the split, you may also spot dirty deposits where its splattered gunk out. With the engine rnnign a slight mist would waft out of it.

error codes will help the other guys narrow it down but it sounded like my issue and is quick to check.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Had a look but cant see an obvious split anywhere, however there is an oily gunk deposit round the back of the pipe that i cant view but i never felt a split.

Done a fault code find with my cheap verision of vagcom and got

17579= P1171 Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Sign2. Range/Performance
17950= P1542 Throttle Actuation Potentiometer Range/Performance
17987= P1579 Idle Speed Control. Throttle Position. Adaption not started

Any ideas?

Last edited:

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
How does it drive? To me, if you are smelling fuel, then it's not burning properly (ie it's getting in to the cylinder, and then getting out again without igniting) which could be spark-plugs or coil packs I'd have thought? When one of my coil packs went a couple of months back, the idle was all over the place, and there was a strong smell from it too.

It's probably not a coil pack, but just putting it out there :D

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Adam that problem went away itself, although i know that is to good to be true.

I put a fault coder on it every couple of days for 2 weeks and my mate Brian (mechanic) took a look and said he couldnt find anything either.

Looks like what ever it was went away and has came back and not going away. Its booked in to the garage on friday. Hope its not going to cost much as i am verging on skint!

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Ok got the phone call from the garage, it was something to do with the throttle body not sure what im sure i'll get the in depth when i go down.

He has reset it and its costing me £46. Although he said if it happens again i will need to get a new throttle body at the cost of £380 so here is hoping it doesn't happen untill after christmas if its going to happen again :(

Also does anyone know if the n249 bypass could have caused problems with the throttle body as it seemed to happen not long after i done this, or maybe it was just coincidence?

Cheers

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Ok i spoke to the guy when i picked it up on friday and i picked him up wrong.

It was the MAF sensor that went, they thought it was the throttle body but when they checked it and reset it it was still not the problem. Turned out to be the MAF they said and he told me a new sensor is a good couple of hundred quid so they tried cleaning it first and it seems to have done the trick. Said if it goes again though i will need a new sensor.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
If it goes again thats what i'll do. I take it its a fairly easy job to swap over but will it need put on a computer or anything afterwards?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
5 min job, 10 min if you have standard airbox as it fixes to the box.

No special tools needed, cleaning doesn't usually work very well.

M14KCY

New
Jan 26, 2009
Scotland
Does anyone know if the n249 bypass could play a part in messing with the MAF sensor?

Just want to know as if it doesn't i'll bypass it again as i put it back to standard.

Cheers