Inspired by FinerDetails...

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I've just done my first claying session! Well, ok, I only did the bonnet but it was my first time and I didn't want to risk anything! Quite pleased with how it came out. At first it felt like sandpaper, but now it is fairly smooth but it still has some roughness in places. Did every well at getting rid of bugs at the front of the car that I have never really had much luck shifting. Have a couple of questions really. How many passes should you do to get it smooth, or is it just a case of do it until it is, and also how much spray stuff should be used? I was using the Megs quick detailing clay.

Few pics now, its my dads 2 and a half year old TT Roadster

24069507.jpg

cc0e12e3.jpg

Pic's not brilliant though

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Im in the same boat mate... Bought some Megs clay and detailing spray... just unsure what to do!

Did you wax the car after you clayed it? And what wax did you use?

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Yes, i waxed the polished the car with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, then I used there Extra Gloss Protection. Whats a polish and whats a wax though I haven't a clue!

fuey

i wana go faster
Jan 12, 2004
north west
uk.geocities.com
from memory from the master himself..

imagine the following text represents the layers that should be on top...

wax
sealent
polish
paint cleanser
de-swirl
clay
2 bucket wash

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Whats paint cleanser, sealent and polish???

Could you get away with wash, clay, wax????

Or should i not cut corners and do it properly?

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
you see, thats why I did an open day! Well done Fuey, spot on mate!

A polish is usually used to add shine and gloss to the paint, the wax is there to protect and add that warm glow or wetness....

Andy, the clay needs to pass until it is smooth as a baby's butt! The more lub the better ! oooerrr If you use too much lub, you waste it, if you use too less you scratch the paint and marr it! Know which one I stand with.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
Iain what would you recommed for me then?

Got the Megs clay bar and spray, and some wax. What else do I really need?

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
FinerDetails said:
what wax have you got? what condition is the paintwork in? How are you applying etc? Experience? Sorry for so many Q's, but the more info the better my answers ;)

Only got crappy wax (turtle wax, and some simonez carnauba stuff).... may get some half decent Megs wax. Paint is fine, only two years old. I guess im ok at applying stuff, got lots of elbow power :). Not much experience though :(

Am I out of my depth? Would I do more harm than good if i washed, clayed and waxed it?

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
go and read through my mega report, it shows step by step claying. The only pressure you need to clay is enough to hold an guide the disc, no more!
You need a better wax, and ideally a polish to go in there too!

Applying by hand? I'd suggest some Natty's Blue wax and prob some poorboys for under it.... give Ron a call tomorrow and see what he can do for you. If you order tomorrow he can prob get it to you for the weekend.

Remember, if applied correctly and in straight lines, all products should just wipe off! ask the guys from the open day, we demo'd this to prove no buffing in this house!lol

MK8

What a good thread! I have been planning on doing some claying myelf for the first time, but after my exams, ive got a day set and told her to go do something so i can have a whole day with my car!

I don't know where is best to buy clay, and what i was wondering was after you wash it, do you dry it completely then use the lube and clay it? How much will you need to buy?

Also any recommendations on products? My only criteria is that it is cheap as possible! I know I wont get the best results, but, i just cant pay hundreds of pounds of products! I think Super Resin polish for £16 is too expensive!
Cheers!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members