J.B. His Seat Leon "Cupra R" - K04-064 TFSI Conversion

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Thanks a lot.

Got another problem. Today I killed my 6th driver shaft. But finally I've found the problem I think. Because the engine and 5 speed gearbox are never placed in a Leon, the left drive shaft is to long. So after a while it kills my shaft. I'm going to modify my new shaft, make it a little shorter and hope it will last longer than the original ones.

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
And i found a old thread with the complete history of the mods. So updated the starting post.

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Today I modified my driving shaft. Made it a centimeter shorter.

This is how it came off. Wasn't surprised it made some noises.

2qddffc.jpg

2ikpmcg.jpg

ind3cl.jpg

Shaft was obviously to long. And was bolted on with just 4 bolts.

I made the shaft on the gearbox side shorter. First I took the CV Joint off. Removed the edge so the CV joint came a centimeter more to the middle of the shaft. But because i removed the edge i had to weld the joint to the shaft. After that I removed the remaining centimeter. This is what came of.

2rmw5kj.jpg

Result: Perfect. No rattling noises. Hope this will last more than 2 months.

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Today I lost 2 bhp by removing my "R" badges under the blinkers. (Joke alway's made when I put some Cupra R parts on my Not Cupra R leon). :D A while ago i bought some sportec badges and decided to pace them today. Looks perfect to me. Also because the R badges were not that perfect anymore..

"R"
2uo7139.jpg

Sportec
bjcv3b.jpg

And a overall shot after a quick wash.
ka1hds.jpg

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Thanks mate.

Today I received my new H3 LED bulbs for my fog lights. And 2 new wheel hubs. Gonna fit them next weekend.

5u21i8.jpg

Last edited:

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Today i finished the plates between the wheelhub. So I make my rear axle 20mm and 16mm wider. (rear axle is 4 mm wider on the left). On the plates I gonna bold the wheelhubs so there are no more extra balast on them.

Where the plate is, gonna be my 20mm and 16mm plate including the holes for the brakes.

IMG_7929.jpg

Between the rear axle and number 11:

rear.jpg

This are the plates. Holes need to be drilled.

mv3vcj.jpg

One of 16mm and one of 20mm.

1616oz.jpg

Last edited:

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Today i fitted my spacers between the axle and the wheel hub. 1 was 2x8mm and the other 2x10mm. This is because the rear axle is 4mm wider on the left side. This were the plates.

mv3vcj.jpg

After a lot of measuring this is how it came out.

25iby9s.jpg

zu3zly.jpg

Both side new wheel hub.

1sljcw.jpg

Left 16mm spacer

t825y0.jpg

Right 20mm spacer.

qq9250.jpg

They are even now.

Very pleaced with the result. And I never need spacers between the wheel hub and wheel anymore.

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
I decided to do the refurbishing of the wheels myself. Today started sanding the wheels down. 2 done. 2 to go. After sanding them down they will be painted in silver.

2 done.

33y24i8.jpg

ny5i4p.jpg

2 to go.

33570w8.jpg

2mxfm2a.jpg

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Some updates done to the leon. First thing. I finaly fitted the led H3 bumbs.

The leds.

2aj3ubt.jpg

Removed the bumper

15r1v21.jpg

Left with 8000K HID's and right with the leds.

ouqcmd.jpg

Leds matching fine with the 8000K HID's. (Hope you're not blind after seeing this pic)

30u8nrs.jpg

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
After that i ordered a pod gauge holder.

aayxw.jpg

Made myself one but not realy pleased with the result. And finaly I found a replacement.

New one in the box.

2q0kt8w.jpg

Old one.

2cej0i1.jpg

And fitted the new holder.

2ufcaci.jpg

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
And last best :D

The wheel refurbish project is done. Very pleaced with the results. These are the pictures.

First rim in primer.

124c3nk.jpg

Insides painted

14c5n4x.jpg

Spraying

246uds3.jpg

First one painted in color.

2w57ncy.jpg

Ordered some new wheel caps but they didn't fit. So decided to refurb the old sportec ones. Not bad after all.

First one done.

11w4wif.jpg

All done.

crw92.jpg

Wheel color in the sun.

ngpp94.jpg

Vredestein Sessanta's fitted.

2rzym3m.jpg

And fitted. Looks white on the photo's but in real life its a little darker.

x7zw3.jpg

25freyv.jpg

Last edited:

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
And 2 more things planned to happen soon. End of the month the Leon goes on the dyno. To check how many horses the're left. And ordered a whiteline Rear ARB. This will be produced end of the month so will be placed somewhere in April.

Dazious

She looks amazing!

I'm in a situation where I cannot get insured on a fast car due to my age, so currently have a 110bhp Leon, hesitant to start modding it because I'm never going to get great performance out of it without spending thousands of pounds.

Was there any reason you started of with the 1.6 engine and essentially changed the majority of the car to Cupra parts, including the engine? Would it not have been cheaper to have just started with a Cupra, or did you just do it for the fun of the project?

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
She looks amazing!

I'm in a situation where I cannot get insured on a fast car due to my age, so currently have a 110bhp Leon, hesitant to start modding it because I'm never going to get great performance out of it without spending thousands of pounds.

Was there any reason you started of with the 1.6 engine and essentially changed the majority of the car to Cupra parts, including the engine? Would it not have been cheaper to have just started with a Cupra, or did you just do it for the fun of the project?

Thanks a lot.

Well, this is my first car. Bought it when I was 18. Couldn't afford a Cupra R at that moment. They switched owners for around 12K euro's back then. :rolleyes: And I was full time student that time.

And the car is a project witch completely out of hands. Promised myself I only buy it some nice rims and a headunit. Well, that went wrong. When I bought the Leon I registered myself on a Seat Forum in Holland. I saw so many nice rides and want my car look even nicer then the nicest on the forum.

Also, I've got some defects on the car. Got a hole in my gearbox. So it was a new gear box, or a damaged car with a 1.8 turbo engine. Simple choice. And I was gone from full time student to full time worker. So i could afford some more. Also went out of the dangerzone for most of the insurance companies.

And since day one I loved modding my car. Starting with cheap little things and later on with the bigger project.

So thats why I started with a 1.6 and ended with a own build Cupra R:rofl:

Dazious

Makes sense now, and I know the feeling, I've changed my wheels, added wind deflectors, HID headlights, and various other cosmetics, but I really want to start looking for performance upgrades.

I've toyed with the idea of getting mine remapped, but then it would still only have similar specs to the 150 brake 1.9tdi engine.

I'm in a similar position to where you were, 20 this year with 2 years of driving, but can't get insured on anything more than what I've already got. Do you have any advice for me, should I go for it and start modding my car, or just wait it out until I'm able to get insured on higher spec cars?

Would appreciate your opinion considering you've been in my position.

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
First thing you've got to know for sure is that you want to drive a Leon for a while. If you're not that attachted to a leon I would advise you safe your money and wait for 2 years or so.

I drove several potentional cars that I liked. Like a Audi A4. But when I drove it the car felt to heavy. So I knew for sure I'll be driving the Leon for a long time. That was the reason for me why I invested so much money in the car.

And a 1.9 TDI is a great motor. With the right mods you can go easily across the 200 bhp. But then you have to spend some money (2-4K).

I can give you one advice; don't do it all in once. My project is running for over 4 years now. That keeps it payeble.:)

J.B.

Dec 9, 2013
Holland
Took another pic from the rims. They look a lot darker. This is how they look like in real life.

oatds1.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.