Well, that's the first tuition day done and TBH it was magic!!
Got Jamie as an instructor who could drive a bit:).
Initially I drove 3 laps, then Jamie did 1 good 1 bad then another good lap.
That was about the best bit of the day TBH. It was great to be in my car with someone who really knows the track. He had lots of good things to say about my cars set up too.
Anyway I tried heel/toeing but due to wrong shoes and the difficulty of this initially it wasn't too successful. This is something that I would like to suss out as it seems very handy so i have homework on this one.
The lines, braking and accelerating points were pretty quickly picked up and exploited.
The first corner after the straight produces a bit of side ways action which was ace!!
The chicane took a bit of balls but was great fun.
I lowered the tyre pressure after Alford as I had forgotten i had it at 36PSI for the road, oops. This wouldn't have helped my understeering problems at Alford (good excuse)
Anyway if you haven't done this and are newish to the track it's well worth the £120.
I am REALLY impressed with my cars set up now but it has highlighted the need for more speed.
Roll on the SIDC in August to see ow the car fairs against the Scooby boys

Good stuff glad you enjoyed it! I get 2 wheeled action in the 205 on the first bend, even more fun! :D
The chicanes good eh! Don't actually realise how much smoother it is if you almost clip both cones, if you just miss it feels horrible!
How did she fair on the corner after that? I understeer alot and end up with a bumper full of gravel! Have to really attack the curb to get round in decent speed!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
TBH Josh all the corners she handles very well apart from the hairpin.
Get massive understeer and with not alot of power and a heavy car it makes the drag up the straight, just that, a drag.
Only just touching 100MPH before hard on the brakes for the first corner

TBH Josh all the corners she handles very well apart from the hairpin.
Get massive understeer and with not alot of power and a heavy car it makes the drag up the straight, just that, a drag.
Only just touching 100MPH before hard on the brakes for the first corner

Aye I think everybody understeers there anyway... Best way to get around it is to get the turning done early and let her glide onto the rubber grassy bit. Once you get her stripped she will pull a premium up there!! Not sure what sort of speed I hit up there, sure as hell isn't 100 anyway!

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
Good stuff Willie. I know you're stripping the Leon out but power wise are you thinking a remap now??

Since you have the Leon setup right now its over due the remap :)

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Best investment for your car would be a Quaife or Peloquin ATB diff, cures alot of understeer, especially at the hairpin at Knockhill, I speak from experience.

If you're dedicating your car to the track, you seriously need to look at a diff, R888 or Dunlop track tyres, baffled sump, etc. The hybrid K04-023 would be a decent upgrade to 300bhp for your car too.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Good stuff Willie. I know you're stripping the Leon out but power wise are you thinking a remap now??

Since you have the Leon setup right now its over due the remap :)
Yup, 3" DP and Stage 2 remap are the next things on my mind after stripping out the interior, bucket seats and harnesses

Best investment for your car would be a Quaife or Peloquin ATB diff, cures alot of understeer, especially at the hairpin at Knockhill, I speak from experience.

If you're dedicating your car to the track, you seriously need to look at a diff, R888 or Dunlop track tyres, baffled sump, etc. The hybrid K04-023 would be a decent upgrade to 300bhp for your car too.
I am thinking about a diff but when I fit this I will recondition my gear box so total bill will be about £1,500- £2,000. TBH the thing that holding me back just now is my knowledge of track driving, my track knowledge and not being secure in my seats hence the bucket seats and harnesses. A diff would make a bit of difference but won't really look into that till car is set up with a cage and corner weighted/balanced. I doubt I would get a Quaife or Peloquin, Wavetrac would be where I'd be going TBH, way beyond the others just now
The reason would go the REVO route is because the Backdraft KO4 hybrid is able to be set up with this software, stage 2 map and SPS. I think this will be a while away TBH. With Stage 2 REVO and no diff the handling will be difficult enough.
Also a baffled sump will be fitted when I do my timing belt and oil pump but 20,000 miles to go on that one yet

alexj124

Mar 2, 2005
Edinburgh
So at the mo you're still using it as a day car ? or is it fully just the audi and polo? that is in the sig!

I assume not as you say 20000 miles until the change which is a lot of laps round a 1.25 mile circuit :cartman:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
So at the mo you're still using it as a day car ? or is it fully just the audi and polo? that is in the sig!

I assume not as you say 20000 miles until the change which is a lot of laps round a 1.25 mile circuit :cartman:
Aye the Leon is fully my car to do with whatever I want.
The Audi is the family car/everyday car and the Polo is the runt of the family that gets used whenever

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
I've done the sump before as Mr Simon Bower of JAPerformance got his hands on it, BIG mistake!!
Plug threads stripped, fukin ****, same he's out of business now, not a big surprise

I've got a baffled sump used one of a 2006 BTCC car engine and thats got the same problem. The thread are screwed had to re thread the sump plug hole, now using an M16 sump plug which is very annoying.

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Yup you can,was just asking how you wanted to run the map? My LCR i could never track at its current state as it would get to hot, You thought about WMI so you can run higher settings on the track?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup you can,was just asking how you wanted to run the map? My LCR i could never track at its current state as it would get to hot, You thought about WMI so you can run higher settings on the track?
WMI is definitely on the horizon. I fitted a Phenolic gasket which is helping keep the intake manifold alot cooler.
As you can see my engine mods have been lacking as I have been concentrating on handling but this is about to change;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Car spec up date

I've updated the spec on page one.

Next big thing for the car is at the SCN National meet I will be stripping out my interior which has been sold to one of our fellow members. This is part of stage one of the lightening process. This will be where my car will start to feel alot more like a track car:)

I have tracked down a Blueflame 3" DP and full 3" system, all I need to fit after this for Stage 2 REVO will be a 4 BAR FPR. As I'm still running the standard map this will be a big change for me.

I've had two track outings now. The tuition day at Knockhill was brilliant and gave me a true insight into how to drive and how my car handled, very well:)

Good times

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.