mick-fr's Old Ibiza FR TDi.... Now Megane F1 R26! (Pg10)

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
100mm on a corsa :wtf: must have been like a wheelbarrow! Tbh there are a few things that put me off getting a fr tdi -

- i dont know if i could handle the general noiseyness for another 2 years
- there is not much safety equipment compared to the majority of new cars
- the interior is cheap, very cheap and it is the biggest let down of the ibiza (think the corsa c is better for not rattling lol)

the other option i would consider is a Astra 1.9 cdti 150, but i have heard they have problems with swirl flaps and egr valve. I had an astra as my first car and it was very well made imo and refined

Yeah was pretty low.. was like a go-kart! :p

I wouldnt say it was anymore noisy than my Corsa, the Corsa engine was rattly compared to the Ibiza. Inside the cabin is just the same.
What kind of safety equipment? Its got 2 front airbags, side airbags, isofix for child seats.
I think the interior is quite good actually, much better than my Corsa was anyway!

I was looking at the Astra's before I got the FR. The insurance worked out more, and then theres the problems like you say. Overall I think the Ibiza was the better car, and I dont regret getting it at all :)

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Yeah was pretty low.. was like a go-kart! :p

I wouldnt say it was anymore noisy than my Corsa, the Corsa engine was rattly compared to the Ibiza. Inside the cabin is just the same.
What kind of safety equipment? Its got 2 front airbags, side airbags, isofix for child seats.
I think the interior is quite good actually, much better than my Corsa was anyway!

I was looking at the Astra's before I got the FR. The insurance worked out more, and then theres the problems like you say. Overall I think the Ibiza was the better car, and I dont regret getting it at all :)

What do you mean by rattly engine? 3 cylinder?
Well most newer cars have much more airbags and have esp as standard usually, also the Ibiza has only got 4 star crash rating whereas all new cars have 5

I think the Astra is a really good looking car even though they are as common as muck, especially with the XP kit. Yeah the engine probs put me off slightly as i cba with more car problems as my last car which was a 1.7cdti 100hp Astra was a disaster and why i am stuck with this car! Not sure if the engine probs are only caused by doing low miles and short journeys? Every review seems to slate the interior of the astra for some reason, dont see why tbh, it really well made, sturdy and lots of soft touch material and looks modern.

How you finding the roads in glasgow then lol?

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Well most newer cars have much more airbags and have esp as standard usually, also the Ibiza has only got 4 star crash rating whereas all new cars have 5
More airbags just equals more black eyes when you crash. A driver, passenger and maybe a couple of side ones is enough for anyone surely?

ESP on my mum and dad's Audi A6 just gets in the way when it snows, all it does it kick the brakes on as soon as the front wheels start spinning, then the car bogs down and gets stuck in the snow because it's lost the momentum!

Merc C classes (of around 1998 vintage!) only have a 2 star rating... still a few of them around though? 4 or 5 stars... it's minor at the end of the day.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
No mate
What do you mean by rattly engine? 3 cylinder?

I think the Astra is a really good looking car even though they are as common as muck, especially with the XP kit. Yeah the engine probs put me off slightly as i cba with more car problems as my last car which was a 1.7cdti 100hp Astra was a disaster and why i am stuck with this car! Not sure if the engine probs are only caused by doing low miles and short journeys? Every review seems to slate the interior of the astra for some reason, dont see why tbh, it really well made, sturdy and lots of soft touch material and looks modern.

How you finding the roads in glasgow then lol?

No mate 4 cylinder.. But they are chain driven instead of belt. So they sound more rattly than my tdi.
My fr has 2 front airbags, 2 side, traction control and abs. Surely thats enough? lol. I feel much safer in my fr than i did the corsa, that only having a drivers airbag and abs.

I did like the astra and i agree it doesnt look the worst inside.. But the ibiza had the edge imo.

The roads arent too bad now.. Starting to thaw out a bit i think. Only thing is i keep catching all the snow/ice left in between the tracks, so im going to put her up tonight/tomorrow. Save any damage.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
might not have to put her up as the snow is melting now :)

She was raised tonight. No pictures as it was dark, but its similar to this:

DSCF2238.jpg

Might raise the front a little more, I'll see how it goes. It feels so smooth over bumps now :lol:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
been waiting ages to see your car :)
you was been a sneaky little modder when i had my mk4!

looking good though mick
whats next?

Haha. Just never got round to making a RR mate..
Yeah I was, and you've been sneakier (?) and sold yours for a mk3! :(

Thanks mate, I think for the next few months will only be minor touches. Brake calipers red once the weather gets a bit better, Green panel filter, maybe a light tint on the rear. Then come summer once I'm back from holiday should be 312 brake setup, stage 1 map etc :)

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Started to hate the way it looked and fancied something different to look at :)

Sounds nice :) keeping it subtle!
Any wheel changes?

Your mk4 looked good mate! Nothing wrong with it.. But i must say i like the Cupra though!

Yeah just keeping it subtle.. Kinda sleeperish. Alot of folk dont expect it to be so quick.. So will be even better once its mapped! :D well i was looking at a set of tt comps.. But I think Im just going to wait.

Can you suggest anything small I could do just now?

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Your mk4 looked good mate! Nothing wrong with it.. But i must say i like the Cupra though!

Yeah just keeping it subtle.. Kinda sleeperish. Alot of folk dont expect it to be so quick.. So will be even better once its mapped! :D well i was looking at a set of tt comps.. But I think Im just going to wait.

Can you suggest anything small I could do just now?

Thanks mate, hopefully will progress nicely like the old one!

Yer they are bloody quick for what they are! shame they are quite noisy tbh :/

Could de badge the rear maybe? you seem to have all the little mods covered tbh haha
Rear spacers?

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
W8 interior light.

ScottHMk4 fitted one to his 1.2 "Cupra".

Or TT pedals and aluminium footrest, another lad on here called Chris with a black facelift 1.2 has fitted them.

The W8 light is a possibility! I forgot about that actually.
I'd be quite worried about the pedals being slippy when wet, anyone had any issues?

nice fr buddy

Thanks mate :D

Thanks mate, hopefully will progress nicely like the old one!

Yer they are bloody quick for what they are! shame they are quite noisy tbh :/

Could de badge the rear maybe? you seem to have all the little mods covered tbh haha
Rear spacers?

Yeah should be, looks good just now mate! Bet its quick compared to your old mk4 :happy:

Yeah they are, the noise doesnt really bother me. It makes it funnier when chavs in Saxo's think of having a go because its a diesel.... Soon shows them [B)]

Yeah I was thinking about it, but was thinking it would look quite odd with just the FR badge on. Dont really want to take that off :rolleyes: Rear spacers are a no no, well not in the summer months when I take the adjusters out the back!

OldSpeckledBen

Jun 8, 2010
Leicester
Yeah I was thinking about it, but was thinking it would look quite odd with just the FR badge on. Dont really want to take that off :rolleyes:

Car is looking good matey :)

Check my Readers Ride to see what it looks like with just the FR badge on, i also debadged the TDI ones from under the side indicators :)

Keep up the good progress

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.