More intercooler options for the 2.0T :-)

belfastchris45

Apr 8, 2009
belfast
mk5ic.jpg

Godspeed intercooler

core length: 24"
core height: 16"
core thickness" 2.25"
inlet / outlet : 2.75"
end to end length: 28-36"

I would be very interested in this. What's there shipping like

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
I would be very interested in this. What's there shipping like

I have been in touch with several Ebay sellers of the intercooler, waiting for more replies.
Best shipping price i have got is 200$ for shipping to Sweden from US.

Last edited:

Lee M

I have a THS. I think it's a well made bit of kit, and it fitted very well. When I brought it communications were good but it was on a cheeky group buy :)

I have stg1 REVO at the moment and the car performs well. But no idea of actual temps.

Can I log temps via VCDS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
I have a THS. I think it's a well made bit of kit, and it fitted very well. When I brought it communications were good but it was on a cheeky group buy :)

I have stg1 REVO at the moment and the car performs well. But no idea of actual temps.

Can I log temps via VCDS?

Yes, engine block 4. But only after intercooler.

Poverty

They are deffo the same, either same company or copied the design. They are all copies anyway of
The first to market anyway just like with everything else in the tuning world

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
They are deffo the same, either same company or copied the design. They are all copies anyway of
The first to market anyway just like with everything else in the tuning world

You are right.
Some may flow better then others but in the end very small differences.
Surely someone will disagree to that shortly...

Lee M

Yes, engine block 4. But only after intercooler.

I'll give it a go. At least it will give an idea for temps after the ic has done its job.

Cheers

ibizajamie

Mk2 Leon Cupra
Feb 3, 2010
Glasgow
Once again where is the best place to
Gt the s3 intercooler whats the cost and is it just a straight swap for the one that's already there

Last edited:

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
OK, so we know that the two intercoolers for the 2.0T Leons are as follows;

Found in the 2.0T model Sport, FR and Cupra
1k0145803-394136.jpg

p/n 1K0 145 803 S

And the intercooler in the Cupra R uses the core from the S3 2007-2009 model (below) and the plastic end tanks from the above intercooler. Interestingly the CDLA engine S3 from 2009-> uses the same intercooler as the 2010-> Leon Cupra R with the same CDLA engine code.
p/n 1K0 145 803 AK

The first intercooler upgrade for the earlier (non Cupra R) models was the S3 intercooler from the pre 2009 pre CDL engine code S3 with the large alloy end tanks.
1K0145803P_med.jpg

p/n 1K0 145 803P

The second one available was the APR unit. This intercooler is reported to be good quality, but no proof of gains/drops have been noted. In addition to this, at £1,000 it is hugely expensive.
intercooler_mkv_large.jpg

p/n IC100012

The Forge Twintercooler followed. In theory it is a good solution, putting in a second intercooler away from the radiator and infront of all the cores to catch the cold air. However, it can create lag due to the larger volume of space for the turbo to pressurise and it creates another layer for air to get through to get to the radiator. List price of £660.
FMINTLFS.jpg

p/nMINTLFS

Then the THS. There have been reports of the THS not being available, often with long lead times, slow supply and poor communications from the manufacturer, and there is no real evidence of its gains over the S3 intercooler listed above. List price of £610
1244587177_tfsicool_w225_h225.png

There are other less well known companies who produce intercoolers for the 2.0T, but two newer ones which are worth considering, and oftern found on MK2 Focus RS's are available;

The Airtec. New for 2012. The bumff on their website says Tested @ Devil Developments rolling road. Testing shows Airtec 2.0 TFSI Intercooler upgrade & Devil Stage 1 Ecu Remap – Intake Temperature of 31 degrees @ 249.5bhp ‘ Temp drop of 18 degrees & 12.8bhp Gain, compared to standard VAG Intercooler.
imgsize.php

£495

The Pro Alloy - Shown as an upgrade for the S3 intercooler (same as Leon) and reported on their website that extensive testing showed that the PRO cooler reduced the air intake temps to just 4 degrees above ambient.(The standard cooler only managed 16degrees above ambient). Interestingly this is one that JKM rate over the S3 intercooler.
STDvsPROCooler.jpg

Price approx £700

For sure, others are around, but these are perhaps the ones which are most popular or most highly rated - food for thought and proof of lots of options available for the 2.0T now :)

As usual, some great info Al.

Do you know anyone or do you have any experience with the eurojet intercooler?
I am currently on revo stage 1 but am getting full exhaust system, intake and want to get an intercooler too, so will be moving up to stg 2 and maybe eventually 2+. I live in the middle east and in summer we get temps of up to 50C so I think a good intercooler is essential so I dont mind paying more for quality.. The garage I am dealing with recommends the eurojet but that is what they sell so obviously that is what they are going to recommend... I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the eurjoet or if I should stay clear and get something like the APR which seems like the best option even if it is easily the most expensive...

thanks,

m.001

Al

Aug 29, 2005
WeeG just fitted the Eurojet intercooler to his car and it is running Revo Stage 2+. I logged it 2 weeks back as it happens.

Knowing which intercooler to go for will be tricky. All have pro's and con's i'm sure. The Ford guys all rave about the Pro Alloy intercooler and when it was possible to have one on the Leon, I took it, especially with JKM stating it was the best one they had seen on a 2.0TFSi engine.

Normally people will always back and support whatever it is they spend their hard earned on. I am a facts guy though and numbers do all the talking.

Last edited:

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
WeeG just fitted the Eurojet intercooler to his car and it is running Revo Stage 2+. I logged it 2 weeks back as it happens.

Knowing which intercooler to go for will be tricky. All have pro's and con's i'm sure. The Ford guys all rave about the Pro Alloy intercooler and when it was possible to have one on the Leon, I took it, especially with JKM stating it was the best one they had seen on a 2.0TFSi engine.

Normally people will always back and support whatever it is they spend their hard earned on. I am a facts guy though and numbers do all the talking.

ok, thanks for the info. I looked on the pro alloy website and i didnt see anything specifically for the leon 1p. i think i have narrowed it down to pro alloy (if possible), ths or apr..
im guessing any of them should be good..

thanks again, for the reply on the other thread too..

Al

Aug 29, 2005
As much as I rate the Pro Alloy unit, I would probably avoid it unless you have the ability to get custom hoses made. We had a bit of adjustment to do on mine to make it work outside the hoses too. I would hope that by now they have the intercooler sorted for the Leon though.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
I'm getting the euro jet fitted next week! When speaking to weeg, he said it really has made a difference to his car!

cool, pls let me know how that goes. being in such a hot country a good quality intercooler is essential for me, even if I do have to spend a lot of money for one but i definitely want to make the right or atleast a good one.