Mot Failure - Lambda Sensor

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Had my Seat Ibiza Mot'd the other day. Everything seemed to be going fine until the dreaded emissions test! I was told it was mostly likely the Lamda Sensor which is located on the front of the car.
It is 1.4 litre engine, 'R' reg 98 model. I have ordered a new Ngk lambda sensor ;

http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_...anufact=SEAT&model=AROSA&engine=1.4&pos=Front
part no: OZA447-E32, Engine : APQ (im pretty shore this is right!)

I just want double check how you remove it. Above it is a heatshield with 3 very rusty bolts which look as if they are going to break as soon as i try to undo them.
Then underneath this is the sensor. The nuts on this look quite rusty as well and im worried about breaking it - trying to get it off.
I will spray the bolts with loads of WD40 when i do it.

Has anyone got any advice on how to go about this.
many thanks

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Yeah I tried that, was left to run hot but emissions were still to high.
Having a lot of trouble removing the lamda sensor from the exhaust manifold. Tried everything but just cannot undo the bolt....
Any suggestions pls

vngtx

Not sure on the lambda sensor but next time you go for an mot, give her a quick blast. Seems to help alot of people pass emission tests.

most MOT garages will do that for you, they will just keep it at 3500rpm for bout 5-10 mins.

vngtx

Yeah I tried that, was left to run hot but emissions were still to high.
Having a lot of trouble removing the lamda sensor from the exhaust manifold. Tried everything but just cannot undo the bolt....
Any suggestions pls

are you using lambda socket or just spanner? sometimes u will need to get blowtorch around the lambda boss to open the threads a bit.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
Im using a 22mm spanner which has a bit of play in it. Would a lambda socket be much better? what do u mean by lambda boss. The manfiold that the sensor plugs into seems quite rusty but the actual bolt on the lamda seems ok. Ive sprayed it with WD40 and it wont budge...

vngtx

Im using a 22mm spanner which has a bit of play in it. Would a lambda socket be much better? what do u mean by lambda boss. The manfiold that the sensor plugs into seems quite rusty but the actual bolt on the lamda seems ok. Ive sprayed it with WD40 and it wont budge...

by boss i mean the whole it screws into. a lambda socket wud be much better as it grips it all the way round and has a space for the wire to poke through. you will most likely need to heat it with blowtorch. i think u can get lambda sockets from halfords.....

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
dont have a blow torch unfortunatly, would halfords sell something like that or should i just try it with the lambda socket first?

vngtx

dont have a blow torch unfortunatly, would halfords sell something like that or should i just try it with the lambda socket first?

try just the socket first, with wheel bar too if needed but be careful not to round it off. ask around if u can borrow a blow torch off a mate.

Neil1

Jan 10, 2010
thanks i appreciate the advice - forgive me for being thick but was is a wheel bar! The Nut has start to get a bit rounded of in places but I can still get a good grip on it.

splitpin

Nov 22, 2009
If the sensor is scrap you could cut the cable end off it and use a 6 sided 22mm socket, have you tried undoing it after a good run?

vngtx

thanks i appreciate the advice - forgive me for being thick but was is a wheel bar! The Nut has start to get a bit rounded of in places but I can still get a good grip on it.

wheel bar is what you use to undo wheel nuts, just stick the socket on the end and try turning it slowly. it should make a cracking noise then start turning.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.