Mpg of Cupra 280/290 dsg

Vassilis

Nov 4, 2015
Athens, Greece
Manual 280 as well here. When I drive it the way the car is meant to be driven (OK not constantly flat out but not economically either) I average about 32-33 mpg with AC on and 95 RON fuel. I usually do a 15 mile trip to work. I've also tried driving it as economically as possible and saw an impressive 42 mpg once although the conditions helped (not much traffic and it was on the way back home which is more of a downhill route). However, on that tank I would constantly see 36 mpg or so. I suppose with AC off and 98 RON fuel it'll be even better. I think its fuel consumption is pretty good considering what it is. Don't think twice, go for it.

Last edited:

Vassilis

Nov 4, 2015
Athens, Greece
This all looks very promising , I suppose I now need to decide to go for broke and buy a 290 or save £10 k and buy a 15 plate 280

Get a new one mate and spec it the way you want (get the bucket seats). You'll have an MY16 model with the option to get Full Link etc. Then again, if you don't care about such stuff you'll still be good with a used 280. In terms of engine tune the differences are minuscule. The 290 just has 200rpm more worth of torque.

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
And buy t through a broker to get about £5k off. DRive the Deal gets my vote but there are others who give similar savings.

Last edited:

cejsmith

Mar 19, 2004
Milton keynes
Interesting about the bucket seats, I haven't seen one with them yet, I'm a big lad 6'2"and 20 stone so I dont fit into all buckets.

What are peoples views on the buckets??

Vassilis

Nov 4, 2015
Athens, Greece
I'm about 6'1" and 13 stone so I can't tell you with certainty how comfortable you'll be but I had a friend of similar size to you sit once and he told me he was OK. They're not tight for me. There is some margin. They definitely offer more support than the standard seats so I think you should go for them but yes obviously you need to make sure you'll be comfortable first.

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
I thinking of pandering to my inner child and get a Cupra , but as I do 25k a year I would like to know what people actually get mpg wise.

Also what are people's thought on the fr 184 dsg ?

I have cupra dsg as my business car, to do 25-30k miles/year. So far I've only 3k with avg of 30mpg. I drive mostly long distances, 70% highway (cruise control 120-140kph), 30% other roads off the city.

Compared to diesel passat, 3er or A4 is cupra still cheaper (4yr/180tkm), especialy due to insurance and purchase/sell price diference and much more fun [B)]

Accy187

Sep 11, 2015
This all looks very promising , I suppose I now need to decide to go for broke and buy a 290 or save £10 k and buy a 15 plate 280

There looks to be some good deals on here and there on 15/65 plate cars with sub 10k miles. If you could find a 280 with the same/similar spec personally I would save 10k and grab one. That's up to 10k to spend on the next car you have.

The list price on my 65 plate was just shy of £30,000 and to see them now on AT for 20K with sub 5k miles makes me very happy I am leasing, as it looks as though they will depreciate by far more than my total lease expenses.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
For comparison, i drive a mapped Leon 5Dr FR184.

It does a minimum of 400miles on a tank if I am in town traffic all the time. On a tank where I have mixed motorway and town traffic it is 450-500. On mainly motorway it does 500+.

Mapped it is over 220bhp and 370lbft, not particularly powerful, but not too bad for a stage 1 derv. [B)]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.