mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Had my 04 LCR for just over a year now and having never really posted any pics/info other than my sig picture thought it was about time so here we go.

So brought the car completely standard with 46k on the clock with FSH in March 08 and promised the missus that I'd leave it standard as spent to many hours fiddling away on my VR6 or so she said.
Well that lasted about a month...;):D

Pics from when I picked my LCR (completely standard)
Cupra1.jpg

Cupra2-1.jpg

So after about a month I got the urge to start meddling and replaced the nasty standard DV with a nice shiny Forge 007P, fitted a modified polished front upper strut brace and then swiss cheesed my airbox and fitted a Green Cotton panel filter.

The Green Cotton filter was ok but yearned for something a bit more vocal and something that didn't make me cringe every time I opened the bonnet so chose to cough up for a BMC CDA as had heard a lot of good reports about them and they looked great.

Enginecleaned1-Copy.jpg

For the next few months not a lot happened to the car as I was uber busy with work, the LCR being my supposed daily drive although try to use the missus car whenever poss, so just ordered an ECS Carbon Fibre Engine Cover which looked quite good with the BMC CDA.

So September came around I decided to start looking into getting a remap and after a bit of investigation decided to go with Custom Code Phase 1 and fitted a THS TIP a day before the remap to avoid any TIP collapse which I had read so much about.

So remap all done and good but that’s were my problems started...!!

It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the map, although I thought there was to start with, but rather my boost/vac pipes which ran fine on standard boost started to resemble a pin cushion and leak boost every which way.

This resulted in a lot of work to find the issues and ended up with me replacing a shed load of hoses, bypassing the N249 valve, replacing the MAF and fitting an ECS N75 Valve.

So again the car was left unmolested for a while, mainly due to fear of more boost leaks, and then beginning of December got the bug again and purchased a Forge FMIC Kit, DV Cold Side Relocation Kit, Auto Gauge Boost Gauge and additional boost hoses not included to replace all.

Fitted just before Crimbo

Trial fitting
LCRFrontMount-1.jpg

Also set about polishing and debaffling charge pipe
1234097167055.jpg

Finished Engine Bay (looking grubby)
1234100559938.jpg

After Crimbo & New Year decided to fit new Disks & Pads as they were getting pretty worn so acquired EBC Drilled/Grooved disks front & rear and EBC Red Stuff Pads front & rear.

1234865358975.jpg

1234877829901.jpg

Last edited:

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
As it was my 30th coming up the missus decided that it would be cool to get me a personalised plate linking the whole wookiee thing and my 30th and here are the results.

1234604553587.jpg

Next on the list was a Miltek Cat Back System which I had fitted although am able to do myself was feeling lazy and then decided to start running Vag-Com logs to see how the car was performing and found that the BMC CDA although looked very nice was very very restrictive and that an open cone filter allowed the engine to flow a lot better so off came the BMC and on went a Powertec Open Cone Filter.

That’s it for the mo so I'll post full list of mods and pics as it is now below.

1238923114894.jpg

1239022952933.jpg

1239022750877.jpg

1239022989195.jpg

1239023030939.jpg

New Green Cotton Power Flow Open Cone Filter (logs don't seem as good as Powertec)
1238840563886.jpg

Green Cotton fitted for logs
1238840576158.jpg

Green & Cover
1238840696167.jpg

As it stands today:- (21/09/09)
• Custom Code Phase 1
• Forge Front Mount Intercooler
• Miltek Non-Res Cat Back Exhaust
• Powertec Stainless Steel Induction Kit inc 4” CAF from fog
• Ported and Polished Head
• THS Turbo Inlet Pipe
• Forge Turbo to Charge Pipe
• Forge 007p
• Forge Cold Side DV Relocation
• Custom Debaffled & Polished Charge Pipe
• Custom Polished Inlet Manifold with Matt Black inserts
• N249 Bypass & Relocation to Wheel Arch
• Forge Intercooler Pipes
• Custom Front Strut Brace
• Custom Short Shifter
• Custom Dipstick Cap
• EBC Turbo Groove Brake Disks Front & Rear inc Red Stuff Pads
• Auto Gauge Dash Mounted Boost Gauge
• Lots of other pipes/vac hoses I’ve replaced in red to match.

That’s it for the mo lots more planned and will update as I go.

All comments welcome! (good or bad) ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Thought I'd add some of my previous cars as well.....

1999 Nissan 200sx S14a 190bhp as standard running 350bhp

20049221723117.jpg

20053141338400.jpg

1996 VW Golf VR6 174bhp as standard running 205bhp

102_1176-1.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Well been out running some logs tonight between the Powertec & Green Cotton Filter as last logging session I blew 2 coilpacks so had to call it a day.

Well results are in and both filters are flowing 198.42g/s which is down on normal (204 g/s) but still happy with that as seeing as both showing exactly the same then leads me to believe that the car is flowing at a good efficient rate or something like that....... ;)

Anyway gonna stick with the Green Cotton for a while and see how we go as the bigger filter.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
No 204g/s was with the Powertec. Never did any logs with standard airbox so can't compare although did log BMC which 184 g/s against Powertec's 204.

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Nice car bud, you've done alot of mods in a very short time.
I'm surprised about the BMC, always was told this was good for 300 BHP plus.
Perhaps it is but as you've found very restrictive. How does the Green cotton filter sound compared to the rest. I had one on my Pug 106 GTI and it sounded fantastic.
I'll be fitting one soon to my motor as obviously the BMC CDA needs to come off now

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Nice car bud, you've done alot of mods in a very short time.
I'm surprised about the BMC, always was told this was good for 300 BHP plus.
Perhaps it is but as you've found very restrictive. How does the Green cotton filter sound compared to the rest. I had one on my Pug 106 GTI and it sounded fantastic.
I'll be fitting one soon to my motor as obviously the BMC CDA needs to come off now

Cheers Willie.:D
Yea I was suprised with the BMC also as had seen a few comments by others about it being restrictive but decided to find out for myself and yep they were correct.

I got this Green and the sound is awesome so much better than an enclosed filter would certainly recommend it along with a good air feed and for just shy of £72 is not gonna hurt your pocket.
mid_greenair_pow_conical.jpg

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
So is that a straight fit to your 80mm MAF?
Do you need juiblee clips etc?

Yep straight fit and all comes with jubliee clips.

Only thing I had to do was to make a bracket to support the TIP and filter but easy done with a U shaped bracket and can use 2 fixing holes one behind battery casing and one in gear box/mount casing. Will need a long bolt to reach down for this one and 2 nuts to lock in place. Used a normal and nylock. Think its M8 if I recall...

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hmm... i have the bmc aswell so this is interesting! Looks like I'll be getting a jetex filter now as the mk3 boys rate them very well. Also MAF friendly.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Hmm... i have the bmc aswell so this is interesting! Looks like I'll be getting a jetex filter now as the mk3 boys rate them very well. Also MAF friendly.

Yep Jetex supposed to be very good and as you say MAF friendly.

Just been trying to find my logs for my BMC but think I must have binned them when I sold it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not waging a war against BMC, sure they are very good in certain cirumstances, just wasn't right for my LCR.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yep straight fit and all comes with jubliee clips.

Only thing I had to do was to make a bracket to support the TIP and filter but easy done with a U shaped bracket and can use 2 fixing holes one behind battery casing and one in gear box/mount casing. Will need a long bolt to reach down for this one and 2 nuts to lock in place. Used a normal and nylock. Think its M8 if I recall...
Cheers bud, you got a picture of this to help me on my way?

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Cheers bud, you got a picture of this to help me on my way?

Yep certainly just been out with my trusty camera, supposed to be working but pah......,and back fixing location def on gear box housing.

100_0857.jpg

Bit of a comparison of Powertec & Green air filter also. Oh and green is a cone just doesn't look it in the pic. :confused:

1238836438557-Copy.jpg

Last edited: