New Toyo R1R's now available!

Poverty

So who is going to be the first to try time? They are a cross between the toyo t1r and the r888 just incase anyones wondering.

They cost £160 a tyre from camskill. The r888's are £170 a corner in 225/40/18 form

Pics

r1rvsazenis1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

Toyo R1R Extreme Performance Tire Review.

As tire technology and manufacturing become more sophisticated, new rubber compounds and tread designs are pushing the limits of a tire’s capabilities. As an example, there are off road mud tires for 22-inch diameter wheels that are designed to be just at home in the mud as they are in providing a smooth and quiet ride on the highway.

In the same manner, Toyo’s newest D.O.T street/race tire, the Proxes R1R, is truly a racing tire that has greater capabilities of existing on the street. To people like SCCA racers and street driving enthusiasts, who would rather spend money on their vehicle’s suspension instead of a paint job or stereo system, the concept of a D.O.T approved street/race tire is not new. In the past, enthusiasts have had to use a tire that sacrificed extended tread wear and wet handling characteristics found in street driving, in exchange for the higher levels of dry handling needed for autocross or other racing venues.

The Toyo R1R’s technology provides a more balanced design that brings the capabilities of a true dual street/race tire to a higher level. You typically don’t find much of a tread pattern on a D.O.T approved racing tire as they tend to deflect under hard cornering and lead to instability. But to improve the street capabilities and minimize hydroplaning, Toyo engineers had to find a method to add tread that would not deflect under extreme racing conditions. They accomplished their goal by adding a variety of technologies to the R1R.

The first was to improve the contact patch of rubber to the pavement. This was done by altering the tire’s casing design. This changes the tire’s shape, providing a wider footprint that maximizes the contact patch, making the most of the tire’s width. They also added a high-grip rubber compound that is infused with silica, to reinforce the tread blocks to prevent deflection. The chance of tread deflection is further reduced by rounding and angling the leading edge of the tire’s center blocks to add stability and decrease the chance of irregular wear.

The elimination of tread deflection allowed Toyo’s engineers to design a tread that would improve the tire’s wet performance. Water evacuation channels start from the center of the tire and extend outwards, similar to many directional tires, but the channels narrow towards the tire edge. This design improved wet traction and stability to really make the tire more capable in street driving conditions, without truly sacrificing its race-inspired characteristics. The addition of stability control slits on the tread, also provide resistance to irregular wear during aggressive braking and help channel out water in wet conditions.

Extreme high performance tires such as this also require a stiff construction to provide stability, quick response, and crisper handling to give the driver a better “feel†for the track. To accomplish this on the R1R, Toyo added wide high-tensile steel belts and improved the tire’s bead with a high-modulus apex compound.

If there is any compromise that the R1R is guilty of, it’s the tire’s overall tread life. Although the silica-infused compound does provide longer life than other tires in its class, the R1R wears more quickly than a standard street tire, especially when under regular abuse of racing. But for all the advantage that this new tire has, the shorter life is definitely a good trade off for improved lap times and being able to drive your vehicle safely to the track.

We tested a set of 245/40R18’s on our project Mustang GT and put it through its paces on a short, closed autocross course we set up. From the start, the R1R’s provided more road feel over the factory 235/50R18 street tires. Although the tires provided a comfortable ride, you can feel more of the road, especially when driving over potholes and large grooves.

Under hard cornering, the tire allows for great driver sensitivity back through the steering wheel. After a few times around the course at speed, the tire’s stability and predictability come into play. It was easy to predict the tire’s limit of traction on our vehicle, which was still equipped with a stock suspension. We could only imagine how much more handling improvement we could gain with the R1R’s once we add on a performance suspension system with adjustable control arms.

Under hard braking, the combination of the tire’s tread pattern, silica compound and the vehicle’s ABS allows for smooth stopping under control. The stickier tires also aided in traction under hard acceleration which improved our course times as the tires warmed up under hard use.

Fortunately, the weather cooperated with plenty of rain; enough for us to test the R1R’s capabilities on some backroads. Some of the roads we took have numerous pockets of water build-up that we attacked at 35-40 mph. Although the tread pattern’s EVAC channels are not as efficient as a fully directional rain tire, they are a huge improvement for a tire such as this. At our test speeds, we didn’t experience any hydroplaning until we hit several pockets of deeper water. However, driving on the freeway, we felt confident driving beyond the speed limit (defined as 56 mph), under hard downpours and didn’t experience any minute loss of control or slippage.

If you live in a cold climate, be forewarned that the R1R’s softer compound will crack at temperatures below 32-Degrees F. The rubber compound has properties that can cause to them to loose some of its flexibility when stored in sub-freezing temperatures. So unless you are racing in Alaska or in the northern parts of the country, the tires should be stored in a warm environment.

Overall, we were pleased with the performance of the R1R’s that provided excellent performance both on an off the street.

Spud_G40

PS3 Gamer tag: SRedx
Jun 12, 2006
Glasgow
Interesting! Been wondering what tyres to get for my OZ wheels once i've refurbed them. Was going to do T1R's on back and R888's on the front, but these might just be the answer.

Poverty

R1R Testimonials

We have had driver’s evaluating the Proxes R1R for road and track use. Below are some of the comments from these Drivers.

Name: James Cross Car: Lotus Elise S1

“I’ve been running Toyo’s new motorsport tyre, the R1-R for a few thousand miles on my series 1 Elise, through some of the worse weather the UK could throw at me.

Having previously run R888s and Lotus compound Yokohama Advan Neova road tyres, the prospect of having a tyre offering the high grip levels of the R888s combined with the everyday usability of a decent road tyre, was a very welcome one.
The R1-Rs didn’t disappoint!

The outright grip in the dry is excellent (almost to R888 standards) and unlike the R888s which need to be warm to work well, the R1-Rs work very well from cold. Both lateral grip and traction are substantially better than the Yokohama Advans Neovas, as is braking performance.

Having established these tyres work very well in the dry, an exceptionally wet (& cold!) trackday at Llandow circuit gave me amble opportunity to put these through their paces in the extreme wet. The R1-Rs absolutely excelled in these conditions. I’ve owned the Elise for 9 years, used it in all weather conditions with a variety of tyres but nothing has come close to the level of grip these tyres offered in near monsoon conditions. The confidence they provided was nothing short of stunning and they offered a nice progressive breakaway once the limits were breached. I was genuinely impressed.

The Elise is a light car and is quite sensitive to tyre choice. In my honest opinion, the R1-Rs are pretty much perfect for the car, combining 95% of the performance of full trackday cut-slicks with phenomenal wet weather abilities. Worth the wait!
Name: Brian George Jaguar No 3 e 2009 Class e Champion Car: Jaguar X300

“I am very impressed with the feeling the tyres give you when cornering you feel that the car is going to go where you ask it to go. I should point out that my car a Jaguar X 300 is used on the road including towing a large caravan it is also my track day & race car since having the tyres I have done 1 test day 1 track day 5 races & about 2,000 road miles there is No signs of any wear or degradation & lap times are certainly 2-3 seconds a lap quicker. I am sure that in warmer dryer weather they will improve as all track time at the moment has been cold & wet.”
Name: Matt Skelton, Editor – Jaguar World Monthly Car: 3.6 Jaguar XJ-S, 1998

“First time out on the R1Rs I went faster round the Brands Indy circuit than I’ve been before on the T1Rs – the tyres we’ve previously raced on. No matter how hard I pushed, the R1Rs performed consistently and with progressive breakaway when the limit was reached, plus they were extremely stable under braking.”

Name: Dave Bye, MD of West Riding Jaguar ltd Car: Jaguar

“As having more outright wins, 25 from a possible 33 since 2007 we felt our evaluation of our control tyre for 2010 the new Toyo R1R would be a benefit to other users.

I first tried the R1R at Snetterton for the final round of the Powered by Jaguar race. In qualifying I was nearly 2 seconds quicker than the fastest lap I had previously set when I won the JEC Saloon Championship race. I was so impressed with the tyres that we as a team decided to use them for the 6 hour Birkett Relay race.

The wet conditions only proved that the R1R tyre was definitely the right choice. After an extended stint and as the track began to dry, I set my fastest ever time around the Silverstone International Circuit to help our team secure our Birkett race victory.
Verdict: Best all round road legal tyre I have used. Looking forward to using them in 2010!”

Name: Stephen Herbert Car: Westfield

“Having used the car on both dry roads and wet roads I am happy to recommend them to anyone looking for a high performance tyre for road use on a lightweight high powered car. I have been amazed at the amount of grip they are giving me on wet roads.
I have also used the car with these tyres on a track day at Oulton Park which was partly wet and partly dry in the course of the day and the tyres gave me no problems.
For someone who wanted a tyre that performs well on the road, in all conditions, and can cope well with the occasional trackday, I would say the R1R is ideal.”
Name: Patrick Doyle Car: 4.2 XJ6 Coupe
My name is Patrick Doyle, age 18yrs & I race in the Jaguar Saloon championship with the JEC. I drive a 4.2 XJ6 Coupe and have just completed my second year of racing using the previous control tyre from Vredestein.

On 26th December I raced at Mallory Park in the Plum Pudding saloon races and I used the new R1R control tyre. The conditions on Boxing Day were damp & cold and the tyres proved to be a definite improvement on the Vredesteins. The traction was very much improved and they were more forgiving in these challenging conditions enabling me to improve my lap time by at least two seconds.

Having raced at Mallory I am now looking forward to the race season in 2010 using these tyres and hopefully improving my times even more.”

Name: Ray Ingman Car: Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160

“The above vehicle was previously fitted with Toyo T1-R tyres – run at standard tread depth on road and track. – As performance ‘road’ tyres – these had set extremely high standards in both wet and dry conditions.

By comparison, on the road - the R1-R’s (having been scrubbed in and heat cycled) subjectively gave the car improved ‘turn in‘ grip and more positive response to input – increasing overall confidence in the vehicle. Wet weather performance and tyre noise was indistinguishable from the T1-R. On the track - the degree of improved confidence was more marked – enabling the lap times to immediately be equalled and beaten with ease. It was noted that on longer runs there was no appreciable degradation of any aspect of tyre performance – full tread depth T1-R’s suffered reduced grip and levels of response in extended sessions.”

The R1R will also be used by the JEC XJS Championship and also the Jaguar Saloon Championship as the control tyre.

For further information on Toyo Tires, please visit www.toyo.co.uk.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
When my T1-R's give up, I'm tempted to go for a set of these. The Haldex provides a safety net in the wet, so it's worth a pop for the extra summer grip (as soon as I buy some it will be a monsoon summer, just like when I bought a tent last year!)

Poverty

Im going to fit a set of these at some point. Probably march or april.

Poverty

Toyo advisory on R1R tyres.

good info there thanks. I think it was part of the cracking issue that the r1r was withdrawn about two years ago shortly after release in europe for them to do more work r&d on the tyre.