What replacement tyres y'all getting that don't cost a fortune?

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I have a formentor with the standard 19" wheels on. I don't do a lot of driving however after having a puncture last week on the rear tyre (repaired luckily) I noticed that the front 2 are both very close to needing replacement (legal, but close as hell to the markers). Only done about 10k miles too which is a bit **** as I don't drive daft etc. anyways... Having looked on black circles they are coming in around 160-180 a corner for a mid brand. There are obviously ones a lot more expensive, and some cheap Chinese crap which are around 80, but I'm not fancying putting those on 🙈. So just wondering what everyone else is putting on as replacements? And where are you getting them?

ChrisGerr

Feb 6, 2022
I have a formentor with the standard 19" wheels on. I don't do a lot of driving however after having a puncture last week on the rear tyre (repaired luckily) I noticed that the front 2 are both very close to needing replacement (legal, but close as hell to the markers). Only done about 10k miles too which is a bit **** as I don't drive daft etc. anyways... Having looked on black circles they are coming in around 160-180 a corner for a mid brand. There are obviously ones a lot more expensive, and some cheap Chinese crap which are around 80, but I'm not fancying putting those on 🙈. So just wondering what everyone else is putting on as replacements? And where are you getting them?
Michelin pilot sport 5 when on offer at Costco. Worked out to be just about £150 each fitted 😁

Reactions: the_lorne_ranger

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Was also curious how much a replacement pair would be on mine for when the eventual time comes way down the line. Was shocked to see exactly as you did circa £180 per corner for decent stuff. Is this the norm now or is due to the rim size/profile? A single corner on my Leon was about £90 when I last had to shop tyres.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Was also curious how much a replacement pair would be on mine for when the eventual time comes way down the line. Was shocked to see exactly as you did circa £180 per corner for decent stuff. Is this the norm now or is due to the rim size/profile? A single corner on my Leon was about £90 when I last had to shop tyres.
I’ve dropped down to 18s from 19s and they’re marginally cheaper than the equivalent on 19s.

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
Just checked CostCo -

£111.99 - Goodyear 245/40R19 94W EAG F1 ASY 5​

That’s a really good price!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Just checked CostCo -

£111.99 - Goodyear 245/40R19 94W EAG F1 ASY 5​

That’s a really good price!
It is a good price. The Asymmetric 5 isn’t the latest version (there’s now an Asymmetric 6), but that aside, the Asy5 is still a very good tyre.

One of the limitations with Costco is the location of their warehouses; the nearest to me is 80-90 miles away from where I live. Also, I think they only sell tyres on a supply and fit basis (i.e. they won’t ship the tyres to you for you to get them fitted yourself).

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
It is a good price. The Asymmetric 5 isn’t the latest version (there’s now an Asymmetric 6), but that aside, the Asy5 is still a very good tyre.

One of the limitations with Costco is the location of their warehouses; the nearest to me is 80-90 miles away from where I live. Also, I think they only sell tyres on a supply and fit basis (i.e. they won’t ship the tyres to you for you to get them fitted yourself).
I thought the price was good too considering the Asy 6 is £150 per tyre.

That £110 is just the tyre price, another £10 for fitting.

Black circles is £190 fitted for same tyre! £176 for the Asy 6

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I’ve got MPS5 all round on my VZ2, replaced the stock Bridgestones, so much better now.
Call me a fan of the pilot sport 5.

What would you say are the biggest differences from the Turanza T005 you had on a VZ2 in terms of traction, road noise and comfort? Any scrubbing in launch control?

JP6

Aug 18, 2012
West Sussex
Nope, they stick like **** when I use launch control. They rarely spin, even in the super cold weather we’ve been having. Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference with road noise, didn’t think the car was particularly noisy anyway with road noise.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Do most tyres have the proud rubbing strip that tries to protect wheels... the tyres I have do have this and so far protected the wheels

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Michelin pilot sport 5 when on offer at Costco. Worked out to be just about £150 each fitted 😁

Thanks, I didn't know that Costco even did tyres! I've never been eligible for membership, however I've just started volunteering recently for the NHS and have an ID card so might be able to use that. The nearest one is a bit of a trek away, but worth it if I can save say £100 overall. I'll look into it...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members