Thinking of buying a Formentor, should I be scared?

Aug 22, 2023
I'm very close to signing off on a brand new Formentor VZN, but having read these forums I'm a bit scared that I'm about to do a huge mistake as a lot of people are complaining of reliability issues and bugs.

It seems to me though that a lot of people's complaints have been fixed by the latest 1940 update which came out last month. Am I right to think that, or are there other issues to know about even after this update?

Are most people happy with their Formentor in general and would recommend I go ahead with the purchase? I'm just trying to gage out if it's a handful of people complaining or if issues are still widespread as of August 2023...

Cheers!

Darren Evans

Oct 27, 2022
99% of people only post on a forum because of something negative you should just go with your gut.

Had mine for 6 months would 100% have another if I had to get a new car.

Just drove back from London first time I used the launch mode and my goodness it’s fun!

Reactions: ForMenThor

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Welcome to the Mad Howse Thor. 😁

I traded in a 5.0 Mustang GT to get a 310 VZ3 - zero regrets 🙂

🤔 Well ok 2,
I miss the Pantomime and the V8 soundtrack.

I say listen to your heart and Go for It! 👍

Then you can really put your Hammer Down 🙈👍😁🤣

Reactions: ForMenThor

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
The Formentor is the best daily driver of it's class, all things considered. The only bugs involve the infotainment and SOS modem, none of which prevent you driving the vehicle.

I would be surprised if the VZN doesn't already have 1940 so consider that issue resolved, and the VZN would be the best Formentor they can make (if you love the car, I'd say it's worth it) The hurdle of accepting touchscreen climate controls is more significant than the bugs you'll encounter.

You can cure the missing climate buttons with the Audi S3 for better usability but worse exhaust and wheels (unless you pay up for the launch model).

Considering we're ignoring the inflated tax rate, the Golf R might be in contention if you can deal with even worse usability - capacitive buttons on the wheel. The Golf R is technically better on paper, but the Formentor brings significantly better looks, more emotion and personality than both the rivals, which, at the end of the day, might be the most important factor here.

Lastly, we know the next gen facelift Formentor looks worse, and CUPRA is disappointingly prioritising more EVs now. The Formentor might in-fact be the very best CUPRA ever makes, esspecially if the Formentor customers they have now are not interested in anything else CUPRA does - which is me, hello there!

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
I used to write paragraphs on the importance of tactile feedback.

Nowadays I pose a simple question;

Why don't car manufactures put the hazard lights in a touchscreen?

Reactions: Alex667
Aug 22, 2023
Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear all the positives. If you can be loving it after owning a Mustang then surely I'll be happy with it. And it was also my thoughts that the next facelift Formentor doesn't look as good, so it's kind of my last chance to get a new Formentor. And I love the VZN all in black with the alcantara seats. Think I'll go for it! :)

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
Do it! :)
Read enough forums and you wouldnt buy any car!
I came from an Evoque (later shape) I didnt have a single issue with it, electrical or other - had I believed Land Rover reputation or read a LR forum I doubt i would have bought it and would have missed out on a great car.
Ive had my VZ2 for a year and had 1 infotainment reboot, no other issues (here i go tempting fate). Sure it has some design oddities, but they arent enough for me to dislike the car. I have no regrets

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
I'm very close to signing off on a brand new Formentor VZN, but having read these forums I'm a bit scared that I'm about to do a huge mistake as a lot of people are complaining of reliability issues and bugs.

I don’t think there are widespread reliability issues. I’ve had my VZ2 310 since April last year, and not had an issues with the reliability of the car itself. Only issue I’ve had is with the Infotainment software, and all of my issues have gone away with the 1940 release.

I love it. I’d happily buy another one. In fact, now there’s a %APR offer on VZNs over three years, I’ve got my dealer running some numbers for me.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Go for it, I "only" have the 1.5DSG V2 but.....I love it!!
Yes I've had the dreaded infotainment gremlins, and yes some of the driver aids I could do without (But as most modern cars now have these anyway what you gonna do?) BUT, despite these minor annoyances the CAR, in day to day use and activities is a joy, looks killer, comfortable and full of "Toys" it's a LOT of car for comparable cost with others (At least in the lower end) as others have rightly pointed out you do tend to hear more about the worst owner experiences than the better ones.

Mortey

Jun 2, 2021
I have the VZ2 and I like it so much I have extended the lease for another year. We looked at other cars but none have the full package this offers at the price. Yes it has some annoyances, mainly for me the pretty rubbish cup holders! The electronics aren't that bad once you get used to it and the 1940 update sounds like it should fix the issues.

Reactions: Doogle

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I have the VZ2 and I like it so much I have extended the lease for another year. We looked at other cars but none have the full package this offers at the price. Yes it has some annoyances, mainly for me the pretty rubbish cup holders! The electronics aren't that bad once you get used to it and the 1940 update sounds like it should fix the issues.
Ahh yes…the cup holders, so true I’ve NEVER seen ones so totally useless, I only ever remember how bad they are when I have a motorway coffee🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Mortey

Mortey

Jun 2, 2021
Ahh yes…the cup holders, so true I’ve NEVER seen ones so totally useless, I only ever remember how bad they are when I have a motorway coffee🤣
It's just a weird design, the bigger one is okay (i.e. its just about useable) but the small one is useless. Maybe they thought all drivers of it would be only drinking redbull!

• Haha
Reactions: Karbonfaiba

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’ve never used the cup holders in any car I’ve owned, other than as a place to put my house keys - or in a keyless car, my car key fob - and they (the cup holders) have always been large enough for that.

I have a no drinking, no eating and no smoking rule in my car……….it avoids unwanted spillages, stains and smells which can be very difficult (or in some cases potentially impossible) to get rid of.

Reactions: Seastormer

dvinell

Jul 27, 2011
I had one entertainment system reboot and a Top View Camera that needed the dealer to re-bind, but it's all minor stuff.
It's a great car to drive, it has "presence" on the road, and teenage daughter loves the "plenty of space in the rear seats".
The only thing I would change would be for the screen to have the heat/volume sliders illuminated at night so you could see where to slide or tap.