New Toyo R1R's now available!

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Is it not still a little cold for these tyres yet, we are still in January another big freeze might be just round the corner. I would atleast wait till spring until putting them on the car tbh.

Poverty

Is it not still a little cold for these tyres yet, we are still in January another big freeze might be just round the corner. I would atleast wait till spring until putting them on the car tbh.

Ice snow and massive standing water, would make these tyres struggle alot I reckon, but damp, wet roads, these tires should be an improvement over normal summer tyres even with really cold roads, going by the feedback ive had from toyo r888 users.

Poverty

P1040372.jpg

P1040379-1.jpg

P1040375.jpg

Taken from DPJ's build thread

Al

Aug 29, 2005
My diff will be fitted within a few weeks, and I will do before and after reviews with these on shortly afterward to compare them to Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's ;)

n_olympios

greek member
I've had them on my Xsara for about 5 months now, I organised a group buy for me and a few friends (the importer's sales director over here is a friend).

Very good traction, better than any road tyre I've tested so far. They don't take that long to heat up* (certainly much less than the Parada Spec2 ones I had before those). They do hydroplane a bit when there's massive amounts of water on the road, but other than that they feel very secure on the wet.

*mind you, that's on the 195/50/15 dimension. Bigger tyres might take longer to heat up.

anyone noticed that in the picture it says the R1R is smaller but yet looks at least 20mm bigger.

Indeed they are. I could tell as soon as I started rolling with them on the car, it was like having gone up one dimension (55 from 50 ratio in my case).

I'll be changing my Pilot Exalto 2's with these in about 10k klm (in about 6 months from now), can't wait.

Only drawback they have, I think, is that they probably don't last for very long. We'll have to see.

I do have a set of these waiting in my warehouse though:

P1070329_resize.jpg

:D

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
how long do you think the R1R's lasted? longer than the r888's because if not i'll prob just get them instead in a hard compound.

n_olympios

greek member
Lasted? I still have them on and I've only done about 8k klm so far, so it's still a bit early for me to give a safe answer, Rob. The Paradas I had before them lasted for about 40.000 klm I think, and probably had a bit more in them still. Most tyres I've gone through have lasted for about that long anyway (apart from those on my Merc, those don't get harrassed that much so tend to last longer hehe).

The good thing is that I've got friends that use R888's on the road all the time (not only on track days), so it'll be easy to compare the treadlife of both.

I'm pretty sure they will last much longer than R888's myself, considering that even the hard compound R888's have half the treadware compared to the R1R's. Tell you what though, even if they don't last as long as the similarly specced Paradas, that's ok as they're massively better in every way (traction, wet and dry - noise - feel). :)

HTH
Nick

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I'm going to find it a little difficult to be 100% subjective as I'm making suspension changes at the same time as these are being fitted. It'll be hard to say which gives what - but I'll try. :)

Trackday at Oulton Park Saturday.
My hard earn cash is depending on your judgement Dave - no pressure :lol:

I am sure you will give a great review friend.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
anyone noticed that in the picture it says the R1R is smaller but yet looks at least 20mm bigger.

The R1Rs are fitted to a 7" rim rather than a 6.5" which will account for some of the difference.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Toyo Proxes R1R tyres are fitted to SL Corse 18" nine spoke alloy wheels on the Lancer Evolution X FQ-400, which allow the car to lean on the sidewalls more under quick turn-ins or hard direction changes under load. Grip level is instant from cold with a continuous stable feeling, enabling confident use of the 400 series' phenomenal power

Looks like they are standard fit on the Evo X FQ-400.

dani1401968

i'm happy with my potenza's
altought I need new ones but won't be toyo for sure
vredstein may be

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
What makes you think the Vredesteins will be better than the Toyos?

Or is it just that you don't like their name? :D

from personnal experience the vredesteins are miles ahead of the toyo T1Rs, but to be fair cant be compared to the R1R, as its a totally differnt type of tyre

Poverty

t1r's used to be the danglies years ago, but as a tyre its getting on now and the competition are surpassing it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.