newbie seeks advice on chipping

omara04

Hi Guys

Firstly "Hello" :) New to the ownership of a Seat, but not new to the concept of the combined knowledge and experience a trusted forum brings!

Having done some serious reading, this one seems to be the best for all things Leon!

After having mondeos for 5 years, I thought it a bit of a change; and a worthy replacement to the excellent V6, I found in the form of a 2002 Leon Cupra T (180PS). I drove the TDi version some years ago, and found that to be an excellent motor, so it wasn't a hard decision to make.

Anyway, I am overjoyed with the car - handles superbly, brakes are excellent, accelerates rapidly and is a wonderous treat to drive, but perhaps lacking slightly in the form of top end torque :confused:

I was just wondering what kind of mods to pursue - I've heard a lot about re-mapping, supposed to do wonders for the torque (does that include increasing the boost on the turbo??), and i was curious as to if anyone's had it done, what it's like and is it worth it etc. also, what more can be done with this excellent engine, air filter? exhaust? Certain combinations of mods tend to work better than others etc.

So any advice or tales of woe / gleeful motoring would be most appreciated and I hope to be able to help anyone else in the future!

Cheers,
Steve (Newbie)

p.s. yes the biog is right - look out for me on Scrapheap Challenge series 9!!!

Nov 28, 2006
Welcome to SCN Steve.

Chipping is discussed at least once a week round these parts. The best thing to do is to search for Revo, APR and Jabba. These appear to be the three favourite chipping companies. There are others around and I'm sure that someone will be around with other suggestions soon.

Typically you get more BHP and more torque from the above but they all have different characteristics (Revo is said to be agressive, APR more smooth) BUT it's a personal thing really. Both Revo and APR do a free trial that gives you taster that disappears after 5 - 6 hours.

More often it comes down to finding a tuner that isn't too far away from you who you can trust with your motor.

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
any turbo car, and especially the Leon, can do with better airflow and a higher boost pressure, so remap, intake and exhaust are usually the best to do and should have you looking at 230-240 bhp.

The Diverter valve is a weak spot on the Leon and should be upgraded. If you like the Turbo blow off sound the HKS SSQ seems to work very well without causing any problems, but it can be expensive. Forge make excellent valves that directly replace the OEM plastic valve.

The lower Engine\Transmission mount is also a point to look at. It really tightens the car up and makes power delivery much better and the car more "solid". you can change only the bushings or you can change the entire mount.

When remapping a Boost Gauge is essential. you can either use a mechanical gauge (cheap, just as good) or an elecronic (expensive, but simpler to install more gauges). You'll also need a place to mount it have a search for Nomad Racing, 42 Draft Designs, and Newsouth Performance.

If you start to push 240 bhp a better Intercooler would be important. Forge make the best kits for the Leon and should be simple to fit.

There are a few other mods that may help. The rear wiper is useless and the Skoda Fabia wiper is a perfect fit and costs 5-10 quid. ask for the estate (combi) arm and blade, and the hatchback center cover. The Seat Leon Cupra R front splitter fits fairly easily and beefs up the front end a bit, costs about 20 quid. The sound system is generally OK but the original speakers sound a lot better with an aftermarket CD player. Alpine or Pioneer would be ideal, the Alpine CDA9855R has a colourmatch option that perfectly matched the Leon red interior.

Last edited:

omara04

Thanks for all your advice guys! :funk:

The general consensus seems to be that chipping and sorting out the breathing seems to be the way ahead, Hopefully that way I can push it over the 200bhp mark and I'll have gotten myself a cheap R!!

Cheers,
Steve

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
Hopefully that way I can push it over the 200bhp mark and I'll have gotten myself a cheap R!

"R" Owners: Don't comment on that please. Yes we are all aware your cars are not only more powerful. I think I speak for everyone here when I say we would all like the "R" Interior, bumpers, turbo, and other "R" bits that make a Leon Cupra R.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
first off, welcome to MEG......... oops wrong forum! change the diverter valve for a forge jobby as the plastic bosch valves tend to split once you up the boost a bit. "dump valves" do not work on these engines so an uprated recirculating one like the forge 007p does the trick, a decent filter either a panel/induction will do then maybe change the turbo intake hose/intercooler hoses for silicone ones. i've asked about chips/remaps and the general view is to go to reputable VAG tuners as they know their stuff and avoid people like superchips. welcome aboard mate.................. da boooooost iz well adiktiv, innit!

grey_uk

Hi Steve, I got my LCR chipped by West-Tuning at Thuxton, Ray West is a great guy and will do anything to help. He went to a seat rolling road day and was in the top 2 or 3 for torque and power.

paul26982

think the next vagcars.co.uk roling road day at awsome bell autos is coming, so should be intresting, also had a map done by him and thought he was quality

grey_uk

Paul, what was the result of the map by ray? On my LCR he said it had 292 bhp and 340 ft-lb (BF exhaust and JB induction kit), but loads of people on here don't believe he could achieve that with out a FMIC, I need to come to a RD to get a second opinion.

paul26982

the next vagcars one is end of febuary i think, could make the last one, was gutted

sjtscott

Now with added Revo! :-)
Apr 15, 2003
London UK
Visit site
I'd suggest looking at upgrading the std brake pads and adding some sports shocks and springs to compliment the chip/ecu reflash. I'm running koni yellow sport shock and Eibach Pro springs.
Def also add a Forge DV, I also added a green panel filter too ontop of Revo Stage 1.

paul26982

ll on the derv my standard DV is really loud, the smoothed box with CAI is quality too, love the sound when going through the revs

p1tse

Dec 1, 2004
performancedriven.co.uk

offer APR in taunton, somerset, not far from you

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.