Options for Sat-Nav

benkay

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 56 Reg (November 2006) Leon Mk2 1.9 Tdi (Stylance)

I really want to install an integrated SatNav into the car.

I was wondering if somebody could go through my options. The car already has a multifuncion steering wheel and factory-fitted Bluetooth (as included in Stylance spec)...I'm not sure if that complicates matters at all!

Anyway, I'm particularly keen to go for the new MFD3 (RNS510) system. Will this be an easy install (in terms of wiring/integration), and will it play with the bluetooth already fitted?

Failing that I guess a DVD MFD2 system would be suitable, again would this work with bluetooth... and are there any major differences in installation between the 2?

Final question, I can buy a VW MFD3/MFD2 system and it will work fine correct? (apart from VW splash screen)

I look forward to your answers,

|Thanks in advance, Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
see my sig links below for installation.

and have a search for my thread on mfd3

benkay

Hi Dan, thanks for that.

I notice you retrofitted the Bluetooth....so I won't need to do that...but it all connects up to the MFD3? As in you can scroll through the phonebook etc on the touchscreen?

Finally, I haven't got the car yet..but do you know if it will have the display behind the wheel too? Will this work properly and show nav info etc. with a MFD3?

And finally, not sure which controls are on the steering wheel? What is it that doesn't work?

Thanks again,

Ben

p.s. Is the guy offering MFD3s for about 800euros trustworthy?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Hi Dan, thanks for that.

I notice you retrofitted the Bluetooth....so I won't need to do that...but it all connects up to the MFD3? As in you can scroll through the phonebook etc on the touchscreen?

Finally, I haven't got the car yet..but do you know if it will have the display behind the wheel too? Will this work properly and show nav info etc. with a MFD3?

And finally, not sure which controls are on the steering wheel? What is it that doesn't work?

Thanks again,

Ben

p.s. Is the guy offering MFD3's for about 800euros trustworthy?

Hi Ben,

The bluetooth we have, does not interact with the MFD3, so you are not gaining or losing any features of the bluetooth.
There is a newer bluetooth module which a friend fitted in his car that will interact with the MFD3 giving you touch screen keypad etc.

the larger MFD display behind the wheel comes if you have the bluetooth option fitted, so yes, you will have it.

I cant remember the controls, but I have been informed that newer cars should not have the same problems that I have had. Apperently it has newer control modules.

I have bought, a couple of units from tommy on here. I am selling one unit as I originally got it for a friend who no longer wants it. He is selling them for more than 800 euro's! I will give it to you for £875 if you would like. Which is alot cheaper than the ebay units plus the foreign delivery! I can also offer installation help.

Last edited:

benkay

Cheers Dan,

So u reckon a 56 car will have the newer controls over your 06? Anyway to check before I purchase a unit?

Also, any idea if tommy-cupra is a legit seller for the MDF3s, seems to have v. nice prices!

B

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Cheers Dan,

So u reckon a 56 car will have the newer controls over your 06? Anyway to check before I purchase a unit?

Also, any idea if tommy-cupra is a legit seller for the MDF3s, seems to have v. nice prices!

B

Well, if its a model year 07 car it should be ok, can you find out when it was first registered. Im aware that pretty much all 56 plate models should be 07 year. If it has a AUX in socket and/or IPOD it will definately be 07 model year.

As I say, I purchased two units from tommy, and it was ok.

benkay

Hi Dan,

It was registered in Nov 06. Not sure if it has aux in, but def. doesn't have the ipod option installed. Waiting to pick it up next weekend, so guess it might be sensible to wait until I actually have the car before making a decision.

What is firmware/manufacture date for the MFD3 you are selling? Any idea how much the later (integrating) bluetooth kit is too, is it a simple swap for the unit that will be in there already?

B

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise