Over Revving on Idle

tdi_will

Hi Guys,

Had a search but i couldnt find anything so i'll try my luck... :)

I have a 2001 Ibiza Sport 110 ASV on 88K, its had a remap to 140, now the problem is recently the car has been idling at just under 1k revs.. now im sure it should be idling at a round 500... ive just given it a service with some nice mobil 1 oil filter air filter ect.. the car seems a little rough aswell, ive been having a few problems with limp mode and have WD40'd my actuator arm and i will eventually clean my EGR, manifold, turbo ect, but this is making me a little worried as it doesnt seem related!..

Any ideas on what it could be? timing belt maybe? oh and im changing my fuel filter tonight as im certain it has the original on there :censored: (Only owned it 4 months!)

Any info much appreciated :D

Will

madmonk

Feb 2, 2004
Worcestershire
My FR 150 is the same. After it was remaped the tickover went up to 900-1000 rpm. I spoke to Revo who did the remap and they said they make it higher so the tickover is smoother. Got used to it after a few days, never had any other issues with the remap (apart from needing a clutch).
madmonk

tdi_will

Yeah i suppose it makes sense, maybe im just parnoid because of my sticky turbo problems, but i bought it already mapped and im sure it never use to sit that high..!..

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Iwould have thought 500 is too low, guess at 850-1000 I think with a slightly faster tickover you get less vibration seting up with the dual mass flywheel:) at 88K the egr is likely crappy by now:(

tdi_will

Yeah i took off the elbow pipe that connects to the EGR yesterday.. i almost cried :cry:, its full of sh*t! no wonder its sluggish at the moment, Hmm maybe it should be like that, doesnt seem to be affecting anything so ill leave it be.. need to get VAG-COM on my car.. anyone round North London?!! :p

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
hardly surprising, it's sticking/leaking which will make it rough/hesitate, it may be as well to do the valve, inlet and check the turbo too, all in one go, if you just remove the EGR valve you could disturb some crap which will get sucked in an stuck under a valve head:(

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
500 would be way too low, I think 800+ is the norm, although as said above, increasing it slightly will make for a slightly smoother idle.

tdi_will

Ok makes sense thanks for all the info! im guessing that if i took the EGR, Manifold, Turbo off i would need new gaskets for each?.. :)

flappy

Ferociously Rapid
Mar 28, 2007
Mine is the same as Madmonks and yours. With map on idle is about 900-950 without around 800 this is on a PD 150 though

My SE 110, standard-map, idles at 850rpm. Does this sound right???

It has had he odd bought that when its warming up, if sat at lights, it will just go to 1,100rpm for like 10 seconds then drop back to 850, then again 30 seconds later, normal???

Ben

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
no, not normal.
mine did that too when I bought it,,, mechanic told me it was "the engine temp sensor" [there's no such sensor], changed it [whichever it was] and it's been ok for 7 years now,,, hook it on vag com and see which sensor is showing a fault then proceed to change it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members